SLD TL 1.6
    Tarp
    ThunderFly SP 20D
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, Costco TQ
    Suspension
    Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Something to consider is a 2-pulley system that will make it a lot easier to hoist.

It doesn't have to be actual pulleys, however, if you use some of the methods detailed in this thread (good starting point at link), where 7mm Antal rings are substituted for pulleys.

I googled the bajeebers out of it and best I can tell "Skilman Bear Hitch" is the correct attribution for it.

Caveat: There is a bit of a learning curve on this—both making it and using it—but once you get the kinks worked out, it actually, uh... works.

Testimony: I use this only on longer trips with 3 or more people, once using it to hoist food for 5 people for a 4-night trip. I don't know the total weight but we all agreed it was pretty doggone heavy that first night!
    I really like this method, thanks for sharing it. I was researching ways of constructing friction savers and other pulleys as nanok had suggested but I think this might serve as a good middle ground given i just need 2 biners. Also, I lol'd at your flying squirrel issue getting at your goods in Algonquin - that's precisely where we were are going in a few weeks and why I started this whole thread!

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by uninjured View Post
    I really like this method, thanks for sharing it. I was researching ways of constructing friction savers and other pulleys as nanok had suggested but I think this might serve as a good middle ground given i just need 2 biners. Also, I lol'd at your flying squirrel issue getting at your goods in Algonquin - that's precisely where we were are going in a few weeks and why I started this whole thread!
    In that case, the plastic barrel is not a bad idea!!

I predict you'll love Algonquin, truly a special place.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Something to consider is a 2-pulley system that will make it a lot easier to hoist.

It doesn't have to be actual pulleys, however, if you use some of the methods detailed in this thread (good starting point at link), where 7mm Antal rings are substituted for pulleys.

I googled the bajeebers out of it and best I can tell "Skilman Bear Hitch" is the correct attribution for it.

Caveat: There is a bit of a learning curve on this—both making it and using it—but once you get the kinks worked out, it actually, uh... works.

Testimony: I use this only on longer trips with 3 or more people, once using it to hoist food for 5 people for a 4-night trip. I don't know the total weight but we all agreed it was pretty doggone heavy that first night!
    that's seriously cool (the skilman bear method), thanks for sharing. superbly simple, takes care of the friction saver too (as you slide the rope on the branch only when unloaded, which is not too bad). still need double the rope and a bit, which is about as good as it gets without climbing the tree first. as an added bonus, and an advantage compared to other methods (even my progress capture idea), you'd need a pretty smart bear to figure out how to take it down.

if i'm not mistaken, the mechanical advantage (leaving friction aside) would be 2:1, but still something. i guess if you're not alone, it should work fine even without progress capture

Hammock
    SLD TL 1.6
    Tarp
    ThunderFly SP 20D
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, Costco TQ
    Suspension
    Becket
    @cmoulder leaving on my trip in just over a week and tried out that Skilman Bear Hitch and noticed that the ring up near the branch tends to pull down. It wasn't until I re-checked the diagram did I notice they advise to tie knots in the cordage near the end pulley. I was hoping to knot have to do this (at least in a permanent fashion) to my cordage. I tried holding the working end while pulling up but that would only work until the top of the bear bag is out of reach.. Was curious if you had or have heard of any ideas?
    Last edited by uninjured; 08-13-2021 at 23:04.

my first thought is: make that last part a piece of webbing or some other rope, which you can easily replace. that's also the part which will be in contact with the tree bark under actual load, so the most likely to get damaged. this way, you can chose something more grippy, or not care so much about putting some knots in it even. i guess a spliced loop on the throw line (if it's spliceable) and a becket hitch, or double becket, should do nicely.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by uninjured View Post
    @cmoulder leaving on my trip in just over a week and tried out that Skilman Bear Hitch and noticed that the ring up near the branch tends to pull down. It wasn't until I re-checked the diagram did I notice they advise to tie knots in the cordage near the end pulley. I was hoping to knot have to do this (at least in a permanent fashion) to my cordage. I tried holding the working end while pulling up but that would only work until the top of the bear bag is out of reach.. Was curious if you had or have heard of any ideas?
    Yes, when you actually use the system you begin to see that the keys are 1) having much more friction between the tree limb and the cord that goes over it and 2) having much less friction in the pulleys, and 3) a very low friction cord.

This why I replaced the cordage for the tree section with webbing, for more contact area, and increased its gripping ability by adding the blobs of adhesive. For the pulleys, you'll find that mini carabiners won't work at all and even large carabiners are not ideal. This where the 7mm Antal rings really shine—low friction, low volume and low weight—combined with a low-friction cord such as Ultraglide Bear Line, currently out of stock, of course, although Zing-it and other Dyneema cords should work as well.

Even so, the branches of many species of trees are still slippery and it can be tricky to deploy. I find that the system works much better with a heavier load that increases friction between webbing and branch.

Here is what mine looks like, although I've long since replaced the yellow cord with its ungainly knots with neatly spliced Dynaglide. With your hands-on experience, you'll immediately recognize all the bits and how they work. I think the cord is tied to the webbing with an Albright knot or some such.

bear_bag_line_with_antals_and_strap_small.jpg
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

i've been looking for those things for a long time, but never knew what they are called. they are basically some low friction ceramic composite, right? thanks, thanks to you i finally found them (and, of course, they are bloody expensive. but i must... oh well)

edit: hmm, they are aluminium, interesting. there's something else out there, probably for lighter loads, let me see if i can find
    Last edited by nanok; 08-14-2021 at 16:27.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nanok View Post
    i've been looking for those things for a long time, but never knew what they are called. they are basically some low friction ceramic composite, right? thanks, thanks to you i finally found them (and, of course, they are bloody expensive. but i must... oh well)

edit: hmm, they are aluminium, interesting. there's something else out there, probably for lighter loads, let me see if i can find
    Yep, they're aluminum with some sort of slick coating. They're not more than a few grams each, and the whole system as pictured weighs 58g.

If you find something better or an alternative—maybe some sort of Teflon or Delrin fitting—that'd be very nice to learn about!

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY (Olive Oyl)
    Insulation
    [allergic to down]
    Images
    Wow, I never knew about Antal rings either -- great to know about for my future (lighter) camping trips! Also, way less expensive than the climbing pulleys that were previously used (in my description on the previous page of this thread)

[edit: I see Antal is one brand; the generic term is "friction ring" Fantastic!!]
    Last edited by P-Dub; 08-18-2021 at 22:37.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by P-Dub View Post
    Wow, I never knew about Antal rings either -- great to know about for my future (lighter) camping trips! Also, way less expensive than the climbing pulleys that were previously used (in my description on the previous page of this thread)

[edit: I see Antal is one brand; the generic term is "friction ring" Fantastic!!]
    I think you're correct; I do recall seeing other brands. But my experience with this goes back a few years and I have a hazy memory that Antal was the only one with rings as small as 7mm radius. Although I could be mistaken, or somebody else started producing them.

I'm all set so I haven't the motivation to investigate further!

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast