So a friend of mine saw a picture I posted of myself lounging about in my hammock and said "That's my dad's dream! Are they expensive?" And I replied that they don't have to be if you make them yourself. And I ended up offering to make one where she just covered the cost of the materials. It's going to be e gift for her dad.

Turns out her dad is quite tall, around 6'5" and quite heavy. She's going to try and ask her mom if she knows his weight. I don't think she meant that he was super heavy weight but at that height you are heavier than most just from being tall. But let's say he is a bit on the heavy side even for his height.

My first question is what length I should go for for a real comfortable lay. 12'?

Second question is single or double layer? I'm in the EU so can't shop from RSBTR. But I've looked around and I can get some reasonably cheap 1.7-2.0 oz ripstop nylon. Would a single layer with that be enough or should I make it a double layer? Double layer adds other potential benefits but will also cost more material so I just want to be sure if it's really needed or not before presenting her with a rundown cost.

He's mostly going to use it for lounging and napping in the backyard, not going to take it backpacking. So weight is not a real issue. Plan is to make a simple gathered end hammock with a structural ridgeline, couple of tree straps and whoopie slings, and a fronkey style bug net.

Thanks for any input!