Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    DIY
    Images

People's Bridge Hammock - first glimpse

Here’s a first glimpse of the People’s Bridge Hammock (Volksbrückenhängematte), hereinafter referred to as “PBH/VBH” or just “PBH”. It uses the principles of my adjustable bridge hammocks and simplifies them to produce a hammock that is:
    (1) Comfortable
    (2) Relatively easy to make
    (3) Relatively inexpensive
    (4) Relatively Pad-friendly, but excellent for use with an underquilt
    The various adjustments I made to bridge hammocks to make them more comfortable all had the effect of distorting the catenary curves of the sides, so I threw out the catenary side cuts and substituted simple geometric concave sides. No more curves – just straight lines. The angle where the straight sections meet forms the ridge under the knees.
    I have made the PBH using both dacron and nylon fabrics. The one in the video below is made with Momentum 90, a sweet fabric, but it turns out that the best combination of strength and some stretch is achieved with 1.9 oz. ripstop nylon, which is nice, because it’s cheap. Going with lighter weight fabrics may be false economy since they may need more reinforcement at possible stress points, like corners and the knee-ridge angle. (I’m talking about hammock weight economy, not $$$.)
    Instead of using webbing along the full length of the sides, I use a 7” section at each corner with loops at both ends. There are channels along each side for whoopies (that’s right, they’re adjustable) connecting the corner webbing pieces. That makes for a much more forgivable construction process. After the sides are done, you adjust the whoopies to make both sides the same length. The suspension and end cap designs can be whatever you choose to steal from somebody else. (Some day Grizz will catch up with me.) There are others you can pilfer: Hangnout, TeeDee, Bic, the Jacks, Warbonnet, & dblhmmck – to name a few.) What’s unique about the PBH is the hammock bed design.

Okay, here’s what it looks like:PBH bed shape.jpg Simple, eh? This size fits me (5’ 7”); scale it up for someone bigger. I’ve used up to 60” width for the head end on some prototypes. You don’t need to make the foot end narrower, but it saves some weight.

And here's what it looks like in use. Notching the sides of a ccf pad helps it curve to fit better, and if you line up one pair of notches with the knee ridge, the pad stays in place pretty well (much better than in a gathered end hammock). If I were going to hike the AT and expected to need a pad, this is the combination I would take. A SPE would help. This hammock has zippers on each end. It turns out that a simple rectangle of noseeum mesh makes a perfect Risk Quarterweight Bugnet (see description at tothewoods.net). The net zips on or off (seasonally), but entry or exit on either side is easy - just lift the net. Note in the video that my back is level and pretty straight, and my legs are raised comfortably, but my heels can drop, so there is no hyperextension of my knees.
    The extensions for the ends of the trekking poles let me attach an Ogee tarp directly to the spreaders for better coverage, but that's not an integral feature of the PBH - use any spreader design you want. Same with the end caps and suspension designs. See Grizz's videos "Gone Loopy" and "End Cap Origami" for the ones I used. This hammock uses Dynaglide, but all the cords can be removed to wash the hammock bed (or to replace the Dynaglide with Amsteel).
    Last edited by WV; 10-15-2016 at 12:57.

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    Very interesting, looks very comfortable, especially for people with spinal conditions. Thank you for sharing.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Nice looking hammock and it looks comfortable. Good job. You may want to reread you post though as it looks like there's maybe a cut and paste issue where much of the verbiage is duplicated.

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    WV, you are my hero. I love the simplicity.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Thanks, TrailSlug!

Thanks, Dutch. If you can make it to WaHHA next week, you might win this hammock or one like it. I'm making one to fit taller people. One of them will be in the raffle.
    Last edited by WV; 10-12-2016 at 20:01.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    Thanks, TrailSlug!
    You're welcome. Been there done that and no one told me
    I wish I had the abilities and patients to do some of these projects you guys do.

Hammock
    DH TB #1832; DW Chameleon; DIYs
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    LL20°GP/LH,SLD,DIY
    Suspension
    Amsteel/web/bling
    Images
    Just had a minute to glance things over, but is looking very good. Man you brought back some good memories of mine with the mention of tothewoods.net. I've been contemplating some bugnet ideas of my own and forget the simplicity and ease of Risk's design.

Looking forward to even further details on this.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge /Draumr
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    PolyStraps/Huggers
    Looks really nice. I do have a question though... the main reason I like my bridge is that I'm a side sleeper. Constantly rolling from one side to the other all night. Will that ridge under the knees effect us side sleepers?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men should do nothing.”

- Edmund Burke

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    I've been sleeping in one, and the other night I kicked the top quilt a bit askew, so my legs got cold. In my sleep I turned on my side and pulled one leg up as I pulled the quilt around me - sort of a semi fetal position. I woke up that way and was quite comfortable, though I normally sleep on my back all night. The ridge looks pretty high when the hammock isn't occupied, but it changes with pressure. Using the ccf pad smooths out the contours some, too. You'd have to try it to really get an answer to your question. I'll attempt to sleep on my side tonight and see how I do.
    Last edited by WV; 10-12-2016 at 21:07.

I like how you have reduced the bridge hammock to a shape that is so simple to make! Getting the feet elevated looks like it could be very comfortable after long days of hiking. I am also curious about how the side sleeping would be in a PBH, if it would be comfortable with both legs extended. And I look forward to seeing your removable bug net solution. There are lots of options lately for the DIY bridge makers! Very unique, WV!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast