Commissioned to make a hammock for a 6'5" tall and quite heavy fella. Advice

So a friend of mine saw a picture I posted of myself lounging about in my hammock and said "That's my dad's dream! Are they expensive?" And I replied that they don't have to be if you make them yourself. And I ended up offering to make one where she just covered the cost of the materials. It's going to be e gift for her dad.

Turns out her dad is quite tall, around 6'5" and quite heavy. She's going to try and ask her mom if she knows his weight. I don't think she meant that he was super heavy weight but at that height you are heavier than most just from being tall. But let's say he is a bit on the heavy side even for his height.

My first question is what length I should go for for a real comfortable lay. 12'?

Second question is single or double layer? I'm in the EU so can't shop from RSBTR. But I've looked around and I can get some reasonably cheap 1.7-2.0 oz ripstop nylon. Would a single layer with that be enough or should I make it a double layer? Double layer adds other potential benefits but will also cost more material so I just want to be sure if it's really needed or not before presenting her with a rundown cost.

He's mostly going to use it for lounging and napping in the backyard, not going to take it backpacking. So weight is not a real issue. Plan is to make a simple gathered end hammock with a structural ridgeline, couple of tree straps and whoopie slings, and a fronkey style bug net.

Thanks for any input!

Hammock
    DIY 11.5 ft 2.2 oz Hex 70
    Insulation
    HF wool DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling DIY

Commissioned to make a hammock for a 6'5" tall and quite heavy fella. Advice

I am 6’ 0” and 290lbs. I used a single layer of 2.2 oz hex 70 xl when I made my hammock. It is 11.5 ft long. I also used 7/64” amsteel for the ridge line, continuous loops and woopie slings. I have been sleeping in it every night for over a year and have never had any problems. I was thinking about making a double layer next just to see if the feeling is any different. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by RobScottStewart View Post
    I am 6’ 0” and 290lbs. I used a single layer of 2.2 oz hex 70 xl when I made my hammock. It is 11.5 ft long. I also used 7/64” amsteel for the ridge line, continuous loops and woopie slings. I have been sleeping in it every night for over a year and have never had any problems. I was thinking about making a double layer next just to see if the feeling is any different. Hope this helps.

Thanks a lot, it really does help! With good whipping so no stress/force is put on any stitches my gut feeling is that single layer should be ok.

In terms of comfort, how is the 2.2 oz feeling?

Hammock
    DIY 11.5 ft 2.2 oz Hex 70
    Insulation
    HF wool DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling DIY
    It’s great , we have A/C year round because we are in Florida. And the hammock is breathable enough that I need an under quilt. I get a little calf ridge if I don’t get the lay right. The easiest fix for that is to get up and reposition. Or use a leg pillow under the knees. I am noticing some wear because I always get in and out from the same spot but it is minor and has not effected the use at all yet.

Quote Originally Posted by RobScottStewart View Post
    It’s great , we have A/C year round because we are in Florida. And the hammock is breathable enough that I need an under quilt. I get a little calf ridge if I don’t get the lay right. The easiest fix for that is to get up and reposition. Or use a leg pillow under the knees. I am noticing some wear because I always get in and out from the same spot but it is minor and has not effected the use at all yet.

Appreciate the input!

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    Great news! Another cottage hammock entrepreneur is born. This one in Sweden!

There was another fellow from Sweden with the nickname of Redearmedia that took some really nice photographs. Especially of camping trips with his family. He had some of the Hammocktent 90 degree hammocks made in Switzerland.

Quote Originally Posted by OlTrailDog View Post
    Great news! Another cottage hammock entrepreneur is born. This one in Sweden!

There was another fellow from Sweden with the nickname of Redearmedia that took some really nice photographs. Especially of camping trips with his family. He had some of the Hammocktent 90 degree hammocks made in Switzerland.
    Haha! I don't know about entrepreneur, I'm not charging anything besides cost of materials.

I just like making stuff and making stuff for other people is very stimulating and rewarding.

if it helps, extremtextil.de is pretty good (sort of a rsbtr for europe or as close as i could find), i use one of their ripstop offerings for all of the hammocks i made so far, and like it quite a bit (but they have other options too), iirc the one i use is about 70g/m^2 (which is about 2oz/yard^2), it has a very "firm" feel which i like, and would probably feel reassuring to a heftier human (i'm not one so i wouldn't know first hand). i particularly like extremtextil as they tend to have proper specs for the fabrics, including tear strength and clear statements about the coating etc (along with some recommendations of what they think each fabric is suitable for)

length, for a non-camping hammock, based on what i've experimented so far, i'd definitely go for the 3.5m or thereabouts (maybe even 4m for a taller customer). 4m is already tricky to hang for most people, and most importantly becomes tricky in terms of tarp coverage, but for a non-camping hammock, not being worried about tarp, i'd be very tempted to say: 4m and don't look back (you'll like it so much you'll make one for yourself. (do experiment before you cut)

i agree with no stitched channels, i prefer a sheet bend/becket hitch style connection on a soft shackle, whipping i haven't tried as i have more trust in this method than a larks head stuck behind whipping, but i suppose the whipping has been tested for many years (and used regularly by warbonnet), so it's at the very least adequate, so pick what you like; both imho better than sewn channels, and also more versatile in adjusting lay etc. i suspect sewn channels are cheaper when it comes to mass production, but could find no other advantage. ah, they do tend to take up less fabric (so slightly cheaper and also slightly lighter hammock for the same useful length), but that's all they have going for them.

"only charging materials" "it's only a simple gathered end", but maybe the treestraps could be redesigned to work better maybe the suspension could be easier to use. just a simple bugnet. that's how it starts... :P
    Last edited by nanok; 08-03-2021 at 16:51.

• + New Posts