Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Econ Incubator
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images

Dutchware 12' Netless First Impressions

Just got up to our RV resort and hung my 12' netless from Ducth. I recieved it, with much rejoicing, about 30 minutes before we had to leave.
    When i recieved my Wide Chameleon i immediately noticed a difference from my XLC. At 6'1, my long legs had more 'wiggle room'; kinda like going from a Double to a Queen size bed. The 12' is like going from a Queen to a King. Its not so overly spacious that Im swimming in excess fabric, but theres enough room at the foot end that my feet dont touch. I have the knotty mods on one side pulled all the way in and theres nothing flopping into the hammock down onto me.
    I have to get dinner ready now, but will attempt to attach my UQ when my Daddy Duties are done and i can grab a spare moment. Will update a little later tonight.

Well done Dutch. I am impressed with this length.

-Joel

Hammock
    WBBB XLC / Wide Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Econ Incubator
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    *Update*

Gah.... I had a huge follow up written last night and somehow it didnt post. So i'll try and recap again.

First - Zero calf ridge like my 11'Wide Chameleon.
    Second - Im geussing because of the length, my lay angle is also greater but i'm also lying flatter. VERY comfortable.
    Third - Becuase of the angle, my quilt ends up being way off center and is being widened out to the max and trying to return to center. I forgot shock cord at home so could try Shugs suggestion of adding an extension to the suspension.
    Fourth - The ridgeline is far too high for practicle/ease of use for an organizer or HangTime Hook.

So in Summation.

I LOVE the comfort and lay of the 12'. The Superior Hammock would eliminate the UQ issue which would give me the leg room that the Wide provides w/o one. But the height of the ridgeline is a big negative if im to use it as my main hang.
    So i think my next purchase will be an 11' Superior, and Ill use my 12' as my main lounger.

Hammock
    netless mostly...
    Tarp
    DW Winter, Hex 12
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Incu E20
    Suspension
    Whoopie-Spider
    I am afraid to try a twelve foot hammock because with my luck I'll end up liking it.

Hammock
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Econ Incubator
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I hadnt seen any real reviews on 12 footers at all, so figured I'd bite the bullet and try one. I really do love it, and if the ridgelines wasnt so high, i would probably get one as my main, but it is a deal breaker for me.

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Have you tried to hang an 11' tarp over it? From what I understand, it should work.

Hammock
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Econ Incubator
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FLTurtle View Post
    Have you tried to hang an 11' tarp over it? From what I understand, it should work.
    I will try and hit the bush next week and take some pics for you.
    It is the most comfortable hammock i've laid in, coming out ahead of my Wide Chameleon by a fair bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortalviking View Post
    I hadnt seen any real reviews on 12 footers at all, so figured I'd bite the bullet and try one. I really do love it, and if the ridgelines wasnt so high, i would probably get one as my main, but it is a deal breaker for me.
    Depending on what you're doing with it, you could always just add a second, loose ridgeline to hang stuff on. Anything hung off it would tend to fall to the middle of the hammock without some arrangement for preventing that, but if you're OK with that, it should do the job fine.

Hammock
    Dutch 12 ft
    Insulation
    JrB Shenandoah 40f
    Suspension
    Buckles
    Thanks for adding some info on the 12 footer, there isn't much!
    I am 6' and also find it very comfortable, although this is not surprising as I was going from an ENO double.

The ridgeline is quite high, I have the Dutch peak shelf and it seems to give a good storage option. However, you do end up doing some arm contortions to reach back and inside.

I'm not hoping to hijack the thread with my questions. In the ENO Double and 12' hammocks I experience significant knee hyperextension, leaving me sore. Per recommendation I have played around with lay position and a higher footend but the only solution I have found is something under the knees/thighs. (I have slept in the hammock fine 30+ nights with a knee pillow.) Additionally I seem to encounter some calf ridge.
    I assume this is just down to anatomy. Is there some possibility I am still doing something wrong with hang / lay? Is there anything one can do to try and become more flexible in the knees to move away from the knee pillow?

These issues are a lot less noticeable when sleeping with legs in a top quilt or sleeping bag. Cheers!
    Last edited by topblackbird; 08-19-2021 at 14:55. Reason: typo

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Yep, pillow under knees helps avoid knee hyper extension. If no pillow, a sweatshirt or other clothing placed under knees will help.

Also avoid extreme diagonal lay.
    If foot end of hammock is slightly higher than head end, then your legs will be more towards middle of hammock and less towards the end of hammock—where the cloth curves upward more at gathered end. When cloth curved upwards in extreme diagonal lay or when your feet and legs are closer to the end———then you get more knee hyper extension

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast