DIY trekking pole spreader bar for two gathered end hammocks

Hi folks. I'm still learning the art of hammocking. I recently went on a trip with my son (who hammocked for the first time) and we had a couple of tight spots to hang. In both sites we actually had to share a tree on one end. So this got me to thinking about ever having to use the same two trees and having the hammocks right next to each other under the same tarp.

We use becket hitch with tree straps for suspension.

I figure in such a case if the trees diameters are wide enough we can just hang each hammock off of a side of the tree and this would probably give us enough space from each other.

But in the event of a smaller set of trees this would be a bit more problematic. I found a Youtube video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qL8eZ6j69aI&t=34s) in which he used four loops of cord larks headed to the four continuous loops of both hammocks and then tied some sort of loop knot into this cord to attach to the trekking poles.

Has anyone done this and had success? Is there a "best" length of loop of cord to use? Any issues with to much pressure being exerted to the poles? I'd imagine the longer lengths being used the more the trekking poles would need to be extended which could possibly lead to some kind of failure?

Any other options I could consider?

Thanks a bunch!

Hammock
    DWG Chameleon 1.6 Hex, Sym BugNet
    Tarp
    12'x10' Silnylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    DWG Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Hi red05,

I haven't tried the trekking pole idea before, but I do use the beetle buckles from Dutchware Gear with the spreader pole they sell. My wife and I have done tandem hangs quite a bit, and it works really well. I know this adds hardware to your setup, but here are some of the pros to using it that I have found.

First, you only need one set of beetle buckles (as well as continuous loops and 1" webbing straps if you don't have them already) for the head end. You can use whatever suspension you like at the foot end. You just need the beetle buckles at the head end of each hammock to insert the pole into the buckles and keep the hammocks apart. When you buy a set, you get two beetle buckles, which would go at the head end and then your foot end you can tie the beckett hitch like you normally do.

Second, they add hardly any weight to your system, just a few grams. They are also very easily adjustable. The pole is also extremely lightweight. My beetle buckles, 1 set of 15 foot straps, and the pole weigh in at about 6.5 oz.

Lastly, the whole system is very intuitive and easy to use. I think it's a lot easier than trying to rig up a trekking pole. They're a tiny bit expensive too but if you'll be doing dual-hammocks quite often, then I think it's worth it.

Anyways, hope this helps. There's a few pictures on my profile gallery of my wife and I doing double hammocks if you wanna see them in use.

• + New Posts