Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Playing with my Amock Draumr

Conditions here are keeping me out of the mountains.......The country is absolutely overrun with the most incredible flood of vacationers. Driving I 90 the other day westbound to Livingston, Mt...... pokinig along at a mere 70 mph (I have no reason to drive faster than that) in a stream of traffic running mostly 80+ (speed limit 80), I started counting the license plates.... approximately 20% were local! Fire season began in June!! instead of August, in fact I'd say that August began in June with absurd temps, and virtually no precipitation......... I won't be backpacking until at least September this disappointing, and downright scary year.
    I set up a hang from my porch to play with the Draumr, and was not happy with the lay.... much too flat for me, and I needed something for a pillow. Raising the back helped the lay but slid my feet into the foot box...... it just didn't work for me. Then it dawned on me that perhaps I needed to reduce air pressure..... what a difference! My butt now has a pocket as it should, and everything is much better. For me the optimal pressure is just enough that the foot doesn't drop due to lack of pressure. It's an ongoing experiment.
    I'm going to look at ways to temporarily fasten the quilt into the hammock so I can get it in and out without it sliding onto the ground. I wonder how a quilt zippered at least at the bottom... right to the hammock on one side would work out. I don't have a proper backpack top quilt, and last year I used an ordinary fleece throw to get by....... very warm and comfortable, but too bulky and too heavy.........I didn't feel like carrying my down sleeping bag, an arctic class bag from REI in the '70's that really needs to be replaced. I've slept out in -15F in that bag, but it's far past it's prime. Just purchased the High Sierra Sniveler. It has ties down the side for use as a serape, so I'm thinking I'll make attach some fasteners in the hammock to mate with them.

H.W.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I end up sliding my TQ under the tension straps inside the Draumr to hold it when I get in and out. Sometimes I toss it over the ridgeline. All workable.
    It is one of the cons in my opinion of that rig but is made up for in other ways. So all is good in the end.

Shug

Last edited by Shug; 07-29-2021 at 16:04.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WBBB XLC / Wide Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Econ Incubator
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Great read with lots if insight that i havent seen mentioned before in reviews.
    Do a follow up and let us know how it works out with all the 'tweaks'.
    I hadnt thought too much of all the nuances that the Amok would come with.

I am only 5'6" tall.............but I would by the XL if I had to do it over. I like space! I'm a bit pissed that they chose to put their cutout for the fill port in the wrong corner for my Big Agnes inflatable........ This is an item that should be standard. It is significant because of the variations in inflation pressure with temperature...... and that is NOT insignificant. I'm finding that the lowest pressure that works to keep the hammock spread properly is the best. Ideally there would be two outer tubes at a higher pressure than the ones you lay on. All in all it falls short of my high expectations, but it is far superior to a gathered end hammock in many ways............There IS room for improvement.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Owly* View Post
    I am only 5'6" tall.............but I would by the XL if I had to do it over. I like space! I'm a bit pissed that they chose to put their cutout for the fill port in the wrong corner for my Big Agnes inflatable........ This is an item that should be standard. It is significant because of the variations in inflation pressure with temperature...... and that is NOT insignificant. I'm finding that the lowest pressure that works to keep the hammock spread properly is the best. Ideally there would be two outer tubes at a higher pressure than the ones you lay on. All in all it falls short of my high expectations, but it is far superior to a gathered end hammock in many ways............There IS room for improvement.
    Reckon they put that hole for pads to fit their pads. But you can insert your pad with the inflation hole at the foot end of Draumr and fill/release it from there easier. I've done that on a few pads I've tried.

I also received a draumr 5.0 recently and have been testing it out. For me the biggest surprise was the tippy-ness. Not sure how long it will take to be confident that it isn’t about to try and throw me out.

I’m also curious what people do when they have to leave it unattended. Snake skins or unclipping my gathered end isn’t a big hassle but left completely alone it isn’t a problem mostly. This thing catches the wind (which can send the head into the tarp or the foot into the ground) but also has the pad which has to be removed if you want to stow it. I’ve been considering folding foot to head and tying/clipping together. Does anyone with more experience have a solution they like?

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MutterMumble View Post
    I also received a draumr 5.0 recently and have been testing it out. For me the biggest surprise was the tippy-ness. Not sure how long it will take to be confident that it isn’t about to try and throw me out.

I’m also curious what people do when they have to leave it unattended. Snake skins or unclipping my gathered end isn’t a big hassle but left completely alone it isn’t a problem mostly. This thing catches the wind (which can send the head into the tarp or the foot into the ground) but also has the pad which has to be removed if you want to stow it. I’ve been considering folding foot to head and tying/clipping together. Does anyone with more experience have a solution they like?
    Try to keep your hips aligned under the hammock ridgeline. That helps with tippyness. Some folks put there backpack under the footend so when they get in is helps prevent movement.
    When un-attended try putting some gear in it to weight it down. Or put the ends of the tarp at a steeper angle down at head and foot.
    Carry forth and enjoy it.
    Shug

The wind issue is a significant one, and concerns me......... the obvious though inconvenient approach is to deflate, bunch things up, and wrap some line around it. On my front porch hang, I have the hammock so low that I can easily hit the ground with my heels if I shift my weight.

I love the open space in front of me..... but at the same time I feel like there is very little privacy. The gathered end hammock cradles me and wraps around me, but it also confines me, and doesn't really give any view. With the Draumr, I can set it up so I wake up to a lovely view, and that will effect where and how I hang it. The places I go, there generally are no people for many miles. Last summer someone showed up at a remote lake where I was camped. We had a couple of very brief but congenial interactions...once filling while I was filtering water, as he was coming in, and once when he visited my camp at my invitation.... he hadn't seen a hammock camp before. We camped far apart taking care not to break up the sense of isolation, staying well clear of each other, not making noise...... or fires. If you have to share a remote wilderness spot with someone.... you couldn't choose better than him....or me for that matter. Discretion and respect!

My new Jacks R Better High Sierra Sniveler top quilt arrived yesterday.......... I missed it. The PO was closed when I got my mail. Amazingly it made it from PA to Montana in just a few days on USPS. Ordered late afternoon the 29th, arrived on the 31st!! The web site would not allow me to complete my order and pay for it........ It didn't like my address (of 25 years), and I had to complete it by phone.......... He had trouble with the order also. I'm amazed the PO got it delivered so fast....Did they fire that ******* DeJoy and set out to redeem their reputation? I don't get first class that fast!

I did some more experimenting with some different pads and inflation levels. That seems to help with the tippyness (or I’m just getting used to how to move around on it).

I noticed in a couple of the product images they use the draumr with the head box flipped over to the underside. I tried that with both the head and foot yesterday. Obviously you can’t use the bug net but it doesn’t seem to affect the structure too much. It gives a more open feeling and increased visibility when lying down. Anyone else tried this?

Swing is an irritant to me also........Perhaps a damping bungee hooked to the tree from a loop about at your knees.............Run the main tree straps to carry the load on the side of the tree nearest the head end, and run the damping bungee around the opposite side of the tree........... Or perhaps a snubber line near the foot..
    I left my porch hang up overnight, and it rained.......... I slept like the proverbial log, and didn't even wake up. This intense heat just exhausts me.....Waking up at about 5:00 as I am wônt to do, I discovered a significant puddle in the foot box.......... I inverted the hammock, flipping head and foot and went back to bed. It is pretty clear that this hammock cannot be used in a real world application without the fly.
    Last edited by Owly*; 08-03-2021 at 10:24.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast