Quote Originally Posted by Twistytee View Post
I like dyneema over paracord for tarp ridgeline mostly because it doesn’t stretch - more important to me than just weight alone. Paracord was designed to stretch, and given windy conditions your tarp will have far more sag overnight than with Dyneema. Maybe less concern for the soft shackles and/or prusik knots, but still introduces unwanted stretch/flex into the system.
i was talking about material for "small bits", like softshackles, friction hitches, etc,, in particular to be hitched to the treestraps to connect the ridgeline to them, not the material the entire ridgline is made of. the entire ridgeline itself is a different story, and i do tend to advocate that stretch is in fact necessary and very nice to work with (if setup properly, which means a proper angle similar to the one of the main hammock suspension, which is exactly what the OP is considering to try), but that's for a different discussion. in this case, because of the very low friction characteristics of dyneema (straps and ridgeline rope alike), making frction hitches out of dyneema seems like "not such a good idea", it feels a bit like spraying lubricant on brake discs. it can be made to work, indeed, but unless i had nothing else to work with, i'd chose some other fibers (ideally braided nylon, in this case i suggested paracord as it is readily avialable and nice to work with, and the size and weight is not a problem for making connectors to hitch to the treestraps, but smaller cordage will work nicely too, just less convenient to operate, tactile wise)