Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Attended the Hoosier Fall HF this weekend. After three days of rain all I can say is I am glad to have folded the cmoulder way

Worked just dandy in the rain. Waited for a short break in the storms to where the water was only dripping off the DCF Hex, instead of running in a stream. Flipped it over so the wet sides were touching each other and cmoulder folded a mostly dry tarp up. Wrapped the tie-outs and popped it in the stuff sack and was off in seconds. Took me longer in fact to wrap and stow my tree straps.

I got to use everything in my pack this trip, except for my UQP and my whistle. It all worked really well. Dry and warm throughout.

cmoulder fold your tarps people!
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolloff View Post
    Attended the Hoosier Fall HF this weekend. After three days of rain all I can say is I am glad to have folded the cmoulder way

Worked just dandy in the rain. Waited for a short break in the storms to where the water was only dripping off the DCF Hex, instead of running in a stream. Flipped it over so the wet sides were touching each other and cmoulder folded a mostly dry tarp up. Wrapped the tie-outs and popped it in the stuff sack and was off in seconds. Took me longer in fact to wrap and stow my tree straps.

I got to use everything in my pack this trip, except for my UQP and my whistle. It all worked really well. Dry and warm throughout.

Glad to hear it worked well for you!

It is very fast... quicker to stow the tarp than it is to pull out the stakes.

Although we like to say we're not in a hurry out in the woods, when conditions are nasty it's nice to have the routine chores done in a snap.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    SLD, Townsend bridge
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    WB,UGQ,Nunatak
    Suspension
    Beckets
    So now we have the Moulder Strip AND the Moulder Fold. Nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Cmoulder can fold his tarp and get packed in short order, fastest I’ve ever seen
    All without seeming to be in a hurry

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by m00ch View Post
    So now we have the Moulder Strip AND the Moulder Fold. Nice!

I'm pretty sure I'm not the first to do this but I'm happy to introduce people to it! It is somewhat 'against the grain' since tarp snakeskins are so popular.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Grappler View Post
    Cmoulder can fold his tarp and get packed in short order, fastest I’ve ever seen
    All without seeming to be in a hurry
    Glad to hear that, Phantom, because I don't want to feel as if I'm rushing anyone else. It's just that my sub-systems are fairly well 'tuned' at this point and things just flow.
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    I'm pretty sure I'm not the first to do this but I'm happy to introduce people to it! It is somewhat 'against the grain' since tarp snakeskins are so popular.

Glad to hear that, Phantom, because I don't want to feel as if I'm rushing anyone else. It's just that my sub-systems are fairly well 'tuned' at this point and things just flow.
    I won't bother to fool anyone. Setting up and tearing down have always been important to me. One of the main attractions of Jeremy's Bonefire Dlx suspension is the total elimination of the secondary suspension to hang your hammock.

Above all you must be able to set up faster the guys with the tents!

The cmoulder fold is a wonderful time saving finish with a flourish on the way out of camp. They can catch up later.
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    SLD, Townsend bridge
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    WB,UGQ,Nunatak
    Suspension
    Beckets
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    I wonder why they are popular with hammock tarps and not with ground tarps.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    I won't bother to fool anyone. Setting up and tearing down have always been important to me. One of the main attractions of Jeremy's Bonefire Dlx suspension is the total elimination of the secondary suspension to hang your hammock.

Above all you must be able to set up faster the guys with the tents!

The cmoulder fold is a wonderful time saving finish with a flourish on the way out of camp. They can catch up later.
    LOL! In that case, even more happy to help!
    I must confess I learned a lot about this almost 30 years ago when taking an 8-day glacier travel and crevasse rescue course with the American Alpine Institute. We (group of 4) were astonished at how quickly our guide/instructor got things squared away so we had him give us a little side course on that aspect alone. It really stuck with me and I've been whittlin' away ever since.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by m00ch View Post
    I wonder why they are popular with hammock tarps and not with ground tarps.

Not 100% sure but since hammock tarps are strung between trees it seems a little more convenient for the technique. I'd also venture that most people who tarp are UL'ers who aren't too keen to add extra grams and bulk unnecessarily.

I ground tarped with a Zpacks solo hexamid and IIRC (it's been a while now!) I did some sort of fold-n-roll with that as well. One thing I really don't miss is having to place 8 stakes for ground tarp or Duplex, vs 4 for a hammock tarp.

Hammock
    Wide Chameleon
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles

Worked just dandy in the rain. …

I have to +1 on this. I was skeptical if this method would work well with a wet tarp. What I found after two camp outs that had rain both times, the moisture on the tarp made it easier to do the cmoulder method.

The tarp was an Amazon inexpensive camping tarp, not a silpoly fabric. I shook off as much surface moisture that I could and let it hang to drip dry with the guy lines not guyed out for a half hour. The tarp was still damp, but it folded easily.

When I got home, there were some gusty winds and no precip. After a 20 minute hang the tarp and guy lines were dry. The fold method worked pretty well in the wind as well.

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast