Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Wkerber View Post
    Thanks for the video, Bob. I don't have a DCF tarp, but still might use it on my Silpoly tarp to keep it more neat and tangle free. I usually just grab it and start shoving it into the stuff sack.
    The guylines and ridgeline are both zing-it, but I've never had too many tangles that I have to deal with.
    Silpoly is waaaay better for stuffing than DCF so maybe not as big an advantage. However I still prefer this zig-n-roll method with the silpoly Quest tarp, no doubt because of habit. But it still takes up less space than stuffing.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rodentface View Post
    Cmoulder - really enjoyed this video. I've heard descriptions of folding, but there really is no substitute for seeing it with my own eyes. Super helpful. I'm going to give it a go. Looking forward to your knot vids!

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk
    Thank you, and I hope you find it works for you.

Yes, I've described it a few times in words but I don't think it adequately conveyed the advantages of the method.
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by joe_guilbeau View Post
    Container ships and greenhouse gasses...made overseas for the USA!

https://media.giphy.com/media/3o6fJ7...LlXa/giphy.mp4
    Just wait until people who drive 'zero-emission' electric cars figure out where electricity comes from!

(And lithium.)

Cradle-to-grave analysis is the biggest myth buster. Should be required teaching in USA grade schools.

Hammock
    Darien
    Tarp
    HG Hex
    Insulation
    HG and CRO
    Suspension
    Kevlar-Lapp Hitch
    Just used your method of tarp storage on a recent backpacking trip on the AT and it went very well. Thanks for sharing! How do you tie the modified Lapp knot you mention? I am using more knots in my setup now and really enjoying it.
    "Walking is man's best medicine." - Hippocrates

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mcpuddleglum View Post
    Just used your method of tarp storage on a recent backpacking trip on the AT and it went very well. Thanks for sharing! How do you tie the modified Lapp knot you mention? I am using more knots in my setup now and really enjoying it.
    Happy to hear it worked well for you.

I really should get around to doing the knot video I referenced. All are available at Animated Knots except the Lapp-on-a-Loop. Maybe I'll just do a quickie of that one.

Hammock
    Darien
    Tarp
    HG Hex
    Insulation
    HG and CRO
    Suspension
    Kevlar-Lapp Hitch
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Happy to hear it worked well for you.

I really should get around to doing the knot video I referenced. All are available at Animated Knots except the Lapp-on-a-Loop. Maybe I'll just do a quickie of that one.
    Sounds good, thanks! Animated Knots is a great website and have used it many times. I have the Midshipman's, Clove and Blake's hitch down pretty well and also working on the basic Lapp for hammock strap to continuous loop.
    "Walking is man's best medicine." - Hippocrates

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mcpuddleglum View Post
    Sounds good, thanks! Animated Knots is a great website and have used it many times. I have the Midshipman's, Clove and Blake's hitch down pretty well and also working on the basic Lapp for hammock strap to continuous loop.
    I did a separate thread for this, but here's the YT link:

Hammock
    Wide Chameleon
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Good folding method!

It never occurred to me to do the zig zag method with one side of the ridge line still attached.

I’m going out to the garage to repack the tarp I put away yesterday since I just stuffed it in the sack without folding.

Hammock
    El Dorado
    Tarp
    Varies
    Insulation
    UQ varies
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Having followed various threads the past few years involving tarps, my sense is that I'm part of the minority of people who don't use the very popular snake skins.

I'm aware of the various advantages that are regularly cited by those who like them, but for me the extra weight and bulk were not worth it (yes, I actually tried them... 2-piece and single!) for the minuscule benefit of deploying in the wind, and for keeping the tarp readily deployable if you want to stargaze and yet be able to string up the tarp quickly if it starts raining. Stargazing isn't high on my list because I'm usually asleep in about 3 minutes anyway, and I always fully deploy the tarp so that I don't have to leap out and finish rigging the tarp if it starts raining at 2 am. I sleep better knowing that everything in camp — including the tarp — is squared away. And besides, stuff other than rain falls from the sky and trees!

So, with that in mind the question sometimes arises, "well then how do you stow your tarp without a snake skin?"

Well, here's my little video describing the process. If you don't want to watch me pull the stakes and do a little prep, you can skip ahead to around the 4-minute point and start there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45hKn8ctloQ
    Weeellll Bob, if that is your name.
    I watched your little video here, and I got to say you're wrong. That's not how I roll my tarp so that is not right.

Thanks a lot, appreciate you taking the time to do this.
    And I'm actually going to give that a shot next time I'm using Lawson for guy lines. I'd never thought to bundle it that way with everything hanging straight.

Storage can't take any longer than my preferred stuffing into a sack for my small tarp. And for deployment I am always happy to try something that might keep me from being in a bad rain storm 1 second less.

我宁愿在山上。

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pop_Eye View Post
    Good folding method!

It never occurred to me to do the zig zag method with one side of the ridge line still attached.

I’m going out to the garage to repack the tarp I put away yesterday since I just stuffed it in the sack without folding.
    I hope you like it!

When first figuring out this process, I did a fair bit of wrestling with the tarp until duh! it dawned upon me to leave one end attached!

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast