Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Interesting. Will have to give that a go - by which score your video is successful I do tend to gravitate between techniques and setups. I've not tried snake skins yet, I've stuck with the "stuff it in the sack" method.

Being on a bike I usually put my stakes in one of the frame bags separate from everything else.

I've come to hammocking from climbing then bikepacking and it's interesting to see how different sports cultures solve similar problems in very different ways. Knots will be a good example: in climbing (and caving/spelunking) your life depends on the integrity of the whole system - getting wet is a mild inconvenience by comparison. Because of my climbing background I'd always tie lines to tarps with a Bowline but currently use a Sheet Bend/Beckett Hitch - as easy as or easier than the Bowline but needs to be kept under tension to maintain integrity. At the stake end of the line I've gone from Taut Line Hitch to Farrimond Hitch to MSH. I use a Farrimond to tension the ridge line.

A friend showed me a neat way to tie a Clove Hitch into a carabiner - have the line pass through the biner from back (standing end) to front (working end), if the biner gate is facing to the right reach round the back of the standing end from the right and grab the working end, pull it round and at the same time twist the line towards the biner then clip the loop thus formed into the biner. Voila! A Clove Hitch.
    Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry - Viking proverb

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Very good point about how different pursuits each bring something to the table. Mountain biking actually made me a better hiker on nasty trails. I have a tiny bit of rock climbing (top roping only ) and some mountaineering experience and I know those have helped me.

Clove hitch is probably my most used knot, and some of the ways to tie it are clever. I'm working out in my head how to tie it in the middle of a cord via loop-under-loop method, which is easy, but also incorporate a slipped bight for quick release. Always something else to play with!
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    PS I also dig your sig line... "better weight than wisdom..."

Dovetails perfectly with UL/minimalist philosophy.
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    PS I also dig your sig line... "better weight than wisdom..."

Dovetails perfectly with UL/minimalist philosophy.
    I first saw it in the arrivals hall at Reykjavik airport. Slightly ironic having arrived by a 200 tonne plane!
    Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry - Viking proverb

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-W View Post
    I first saw it in the arrivals hall at Reykjavik airport. Slightly ironic having arrived by a 200 tonne plane!
    LOL, which I why I don't kid myself that backpacking is low-impact when I've flown 2,000 miles and rented a car to get to the trailhead!

Hammock
    Warrior Edge UL - LSoH
    Tarp
    'Razor' Hex - LSoH
    Insulation
    LSoH Toaster TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Various
    Nice video. The bulk of DCF when stuffing always resulted in a surprising mass. Your folding method is quite nice.
    Only thing that flashed through my mind was it could result in a wet amount of clothing doing your method in the rain/
    where the tarp is covered in water. Although I suppose a person could simply stuff at that point and redo it later when the
    rain has gone. I also liked your demo which showed leaving the CRL on the tarp rather than two separate processes to take down.
    Nicely done!

Hammock
    Various DIY; Fronkey Bugnet
    Tarp
    DIY/Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY/Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Dyneema/Evo Loops
    Thanks for the video, Bob. I don't have a DCF tarp, but still might use it on my Silpoly tarp to keep it more neat and tangle free. I usually just grab it and start shoving it into the stuff sack.
    The guylines and ridgeline are both zing-it, but I've never had too many tangles that I have to deal with.
    Bill

Cmoulder - really enjoyed this video. I've heard descriptions of folding, but there really is no substitute for seeing it with my own eyes. Super helpful. I'm going to give it a go. Looking forward to your knot vids!

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    LOL, which I why I don't kid myself that backpacking is low-impact when I've flown 2,000 miles and rented a car to get to the trailhead!
    Container ships and greenhouse gasses...made overseas for the USA!

https://media.giphy.com/media/3o6fJ7...LlXa/giphy.mp4

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Firesong View Post
    Nice video. The bulk of DCF when stuffing always resulted in a surprising mass. Your folding method is quite nice.
    Only thing that flashed through my mind was it could result in a wet amount of clothing doing your method in the rain/
    where the tarp is covered in water. Although I suppose a person could simply stuff at that point and redo it later when the
    rain has gone. I also liked your demo which showed leaving the CRL on the tarp rather than two separate processes to take down.
    Nicely done!
    Yep, DCF doesn't 'like' to be stuffed, and the resulting crinkles and air pockets create substantially more volume. When using a snake skin it is still being semi-stuffed and the crinkly material takes up more space.

I've taken it down in the rain or after a very foggy/dew-y soaking and it isn't hard to hold it a few inches away to avoid most of the water.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast