Hammock
    My own design.
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Home made quit set
    Suspension
    Homemade Whoopie

Can mini cord locks be used to make secondary underquilt suspension obsolete?

I have been reading up on all your ideas about secondary suspension for underquilts. I was about to start cutting fabric for my first underquilt and thought I better make sure I know what I need so I add the attachment points while I'm sewing. I have a Patagonia R1 hoodie and it has cord locks between an inner and outer layer of fabric. If you want to tighten the waist you squeeze the line lock from outside the jacket and the extra shock cord comes out a grommet into the pocket. Very neat and tidy. So can I do the same with the primary suspension? I'm going to give it a try and let you know how it works. I was already planning on using grommets for all the suspension channels and the round mini cord locks I have from Dutchware won't fit through the grommet hole. I just have to install the shock cord and cord locks before I sew the primary suspension channels shut. Worst case the cord locks I use are not strong enough and I can remove them and sew line locks on the ends if this doesn't work... wish me luck!

Jim

Hammock
    My own design.
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Home made quit set
    Suspension
    Homemade Whoopie
    Winter underquilt complete! Now is my minicord lock solution a hack or a bodge? Time will tell.
    Here you can see I left a opening in the primary shock cord channel so I can get to the cord lock if I even need to. I have a grommet where the shock cord exits the end of the channel and that's where I hope the cord lock will rest and keep the quilt from sagging.
    IMG_4356.jpg

Here is a picture of the final project
    IMG_4354.jpg

I used 1.1 oz calendared ION from Dutchware. The burnt orange is the inner shell color with the charcoal what most people will see from the outside. 11 oz of 900 fill DWR down from Loose Goose. Final weight with suspension is 21.25 oz. The worst part now is waiting till it's cool enough outside to use it! It's my first underquilt. I'm sure there will be more. Any suggestions on what I should have done are very welcome. I hope to have more of these in my future.

Aerohead

• + New Posts