SLD 10' MTN 1.2
    Tarp
    HG Standard DCF
    Insulation
    Enigma/Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    UHMWPE
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Kinda subjective but this is how it looks with about 40 lumens of light directed at it.
    Don't have a picture, but this photo is congruent with my experience.

Hammock
    SLD TL 1.6
    Tarp
    ThunderFly SP 20D
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, Costco TQ
    Suspension
    Becket
    Kinda subjective but this is how it looks with about 40 lumens of light directed at it.
    Thanks, looks good! You also use the same for CRL? If so, how do you find it compared to lashit? Is it all 2mm glowire?

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by uninjured View Post
    Thanks, looks good! You also use the same for CRL? If so, how do you find it compared to lashit? Is it all 2mm glowire?
    Yep, same 2mm Glowire for CRL as for guy lines because my setup is knot-only and it also holds knots superbly.

In my experience Zing-it and Lash-it are not very knot friendly. There are people who use extra wraps (for friction hitches, for instance) and back-up knots and so forth to get it to work, but I like something that holds knots tied in their standard configurations. Lash-it will not hold a Midshipman's hitch in the basic 3-wrap configuration, and the same can be said for many other simple knots.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    SLD TL 1.6
    Tarp
    ThunderFly SP 20D
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, Costco TQ
    Suspension
    Becket
    Yep, same 2mm Glowire for CRL as for guy lines because my setup is knot-only and it also holds knots superbly.

In my experience Zing-it and Lash-it are not very knot friendly. There are people who use extra wraps (for friction hitches, for instance) and back-up knots and so forth to get it to work, but I like something that holds knots tied in their standard configurations. Lash-it will not hold a Midshipman's hitch in the basic 3-wrap configuration, and the same can be said for many other simple knots.
    I concur regarding lashit holding knots. Then I'm glad I ordered up 200' of glowire, I may just replace my lashit CRL with it.

Forgive me if you're outlined this somewhere already but what is your method of rigging your CRL? I was using a soft shackle but I think I may bowline fixed end and use a stick as toggle or tie a bowline around my line to anchor against the tree then trucker's hitch on the other end. With lashit I had to double through the loop for any chance of not loosing my gains. Also, I prusik my tarp to my CRL and this glowire seems to bite much better than 1.8mm lashit on lashit.

EDIT: Sorry cmoulder, I did find an excellent write-up from you here: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...Lawson-Glowire looks like I'm just a couple of years behind you!
    Last edited by uninjured; 08-04-2021 at 20:42.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Thanks, and glad you found that.

CRL is very simple: Midshipman's hitch at trees, and tarp attached to CRL with Prusiks.

Normally Prusiks work better with smaller cord wrapped around larger cord, but Glowire-on-Glowire works great using 2mm for both, basic 3-wrap method of tying.

One thing I should follow up with is the failure I mentioned in Post #24 of that thread. I figured out that this was caused by me when I yanked very hard on a large slipped bight of cord to release another knot I use frequently for the fixed end, which is a variation of the Lapp hitch. Well duh, the prolonged friction in one small spot severely damaged the jacket and even part of the core fibers.

Of course, the lesson is that it's not a good idea to use a big slipped bight and then pull it very aggressively to release. This holds true for just about any application, as I've noticed heat damage (glazing/melting) to Amsteel CLs after yanking suspension straps very hard to release the Becket hitch. (Which is why it's good to use pull loops or some such on the CLs when using Becket hitch.)
    Last edited by cmoulder; 08-05-2021 at 06:59.
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    JacksRBetr 12 x 10
    Insulation
    JRB 20deg set
    Suspension
    Straps & Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by nanok View Post
    that's not helping is it, in fact it's almost cruel :P

thanks for the detailed description, i was thinking indeed that they must have really put thought into it and designed something that really makes sense. i respect that enough that i'll have to buy some just to try, even though it's quite pricey, and i really feel no "need" for it, in terms of use. i just got to experience it for myself.
    LOL, that's how it starts.

Hammock
    SLD TL 1.6
    Tarp
    ThunderFly SP 20D
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, Costco TQ
    Suspension
    Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by nanok View Post
    that's not helping is it, in fact it's almost cruel :P

thanks for the detailed description, i was thinking indeed that they must have really put thought into it and designed something that really makes sense. i respect that enough that i'll have to buy some just to try, even though it's quite pricey, and i really feel no "need" for it, in terms of use. i just got to experience it for myself.
    Curious if you managed to procure some glowire and if so what your thoughts are. As mentioned in the other glowire thread, I replaced all of my cordage with it except my tarp Ridgeline and suspension. It's that good. It's such a good cordage in this size for knots that I also did away with pretty much all hardware as well. To me it's truly the Cadillac of cordage and at least for me provides closure to this thread.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I'm tempted to try this again, even after the reflective shedding fiasco. Maybe I got a bad batch. I really like the diameter and overall feel of it.

Hammock
    SLD TL 1.6
    Tarp
    ThunderFly SP 20D
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, Costco TQ
    Suspension
    Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    I'm tempted to try this again, even after the reflective shedding fiasco. Maybe I got a bad batch. I really like the diameter and overall feel of it.
    Was there any consensus on the shedding issue? Are the particles carcinogenic? Can they cause other health issues to human or animal? I also remember reading some complaints about it but I don't know if health was discussed.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    If the reflective material is a concern there's always Guywire, which is Glowire minus the shiny stuff.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast