Hammock
    Warbonnet, Eldorado, Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB thunderfly, etc
    Insulation
    WB Wookie
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings etc
    On a side note, when I first paired my newly acquired tarpticks hardware last week, I first thought that it would not work with Glowire in the 2.0mm size. But it does fit and once snugged down, seems to hold, though I've not had it in any heavy winds yet. Tarp-ticks do seem to be designed for zing-it, as is almost all the hardware out there that I'm familiar with. That's not cool imho, there should be a healthy ecosystem of choices - the wider, the better.

Hammock
    Tarp
    WB thunderfly, etc
    Insulation
    WB Wookie
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings etc
    Quote Originally Posted by Countrybois View Post
    Yes. We have folks that use the NAMA Claws with 2mm Glowire. It's not easy to thread, but they have done it.

We are also very close to releasing our own reflective dyneema line that isn't nearly as slick as Lash-It/Zing-It. It will obviously work great with the NAMA Claws but also plays well with knots.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    That is good to know. I had never seen these Nama Claws before and they look like they may make my life easier. I cut the lawson lines at a 45 degree angle and, and just touch it with a lighter flame. I find it makes it easier to tread into tight spots (like the Tarp ticks) and once it's in I melt it more into a mushroom shape.

It's good to have choices.

this is one of the reasons i tend to gravitate away from hardware, in favour of (proper) knots: hardware that works had to usually be designed to work well with a narrow range of cordage. even if you had different sizes of hardware you could chose to buy, you're still limited depending on which hardware you bought. with good knots, the beauty is that once you got the line you want to use for the purpose, you also have the line that will work fine with the knots, as most knots scale nicely with the line, in other words, you get to just freely chose the line, any line you like (well, as long as it's not dyneema :P ). most good knots also allow a broader range of choices even than hardware, in the sense you can mix line sizes within some limits, limits which are broader than most hardware allows.

titanium is something special though, i get it. i think.

Hammock
    Tarp
    WB thunderfly, etc
    Insulation
    WB Wookie
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings etc
    Quote Originally Posted by nanok View Post
    this is one of the reasons i tend to gravitate away from hardware, in favour of (proper) knots: hardware that works had to usually be designed to work well with a narrow range of cordage. even if you had different sizes of hardware you could chose to buy, you're still limited depending on which hardware you bought. with good knots, the beauty is that once you got the line you want to use for the purpose, you also have the line that will work fine with the knots, as most knots scale nicely with the line, in other words, you get to just freely chose the line, any line you like (well, as long as it's not dyneema :P ). most good knots also allow a broader range of choices even than hardware, in the sense you can mix line sizes within some limits, limits which are broader than most hardware allows.

titanium is something special though, i get it. i think.
    I agree with what you say and value the ideals behind it. However, due to damage to nerves that control my left hand and left foot, I sometimes can not rely on my left hand. Tying a simple loop knot in zing-it is not possible for me one day out of five. I can feel Lawson stuff in my hand, especially the 2.5mm. That helps a lot. Hardware is similar that way as long as it is not one of these tiny instruments of UL. Dutch is onto something with his larger ringworms. It broadens the reach.

Tthat's where I'm coming from. And so far, Lawson's stuff is a huge bit of positive progress in my bumpy Hammocking journey.

i see, i didn't realize that, thank you for explaining.

as it happens, almost all of the knot based solutions i propose here, i have designed so there's no knot to be tied in the field (you pre-rig the tarp/guylines etc, and then it "just works", without requiring much dexterity at all); the other requirement i chase is "one handed operation". i did it for other reasons (basically i wanted to see if i can prerig something with knots only, and have somebody use it and enjoy it, without somebody having to learn how to tie said knots, so like having hardware without the hardware; i had to invent a few things, but it was fun and it works); so if you're fine to prepare stuff at home, and tie some knots in the preparation phase, then this could work very well for you. if it's too painful or hard to do a lot of knot tieing, even one time at home, then some hardware (and certain particular knots/tie methods) could work, but as you said, only some hardware would qualify, as some is more fidly than knots, even in the field.

i suggest winter campers, like shug and a few others, could be very helpful here: they often manipulate their stuff with gloved hands, at low temperatures etc, where dexterity is severely impaired, they will be able to tell you which methods worked or didn't work for them. (just a thought). i hope i'll be one of them soon, too, i've been dreaming of getting back on the trails in winter for years now, but for now i must be humble, and defer to them wise snowy owls

Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    EE Rev 20, JRB MW3
    Suspension
    Becket, J-bend

PariaOutdoorProducts dyneema guyline

I'm late to post to this thread -- I just realized I may have something of interest to the OP. Sorry to interrupt the present important discussion of methods for use with reduced dexterity.
    I've used 3 different types of tie-out cordage as I've gotten started over the last few months. They are:

product name material break strength diameter oz/ft oz/100ft $, length $/length reflective? comments
    Warbonnet tarp guyline dyneema 400 lbs 1.75mm 0.019oz/ft 1.9oz $20/100ft $0.20/ft No slippery
    Lawson Glowire, 2mm polyester 250 lbs 2mm 0.039oz/ft 3.9oz $13.50/50ft
    $25/100ft
    $0.25/ft Yes great stuff!
    PariaOutdoorProducts
    dyneema guyline
    dyneema + ? 200 lbs 1.5mm 0.016oz/ft 1.6oz $12.99/50ft $0.26/ft Yes light, stiff,
    rough surface,
    holds knots

For backpacking, I think that the PariaOutdoorProducts dyneema guyline might be just the ticket.
    Pro:
    • it's the lightest of them all (oz/ft)
    • it holds knots without slipping (I tested a Farrimond hitch, which ties & adjusts properly)
    • it's nicely reflective.

Con:

• it is admittedly quite thin, so it could be hard to untie knots that are not tied in their "slippery" form -- but a Farrimond works wonderfully.
    • its rough surface makes it more prone to tangling than the Lawson Glowire. I'm not sure how to quantify this.

Other:
    • I find it hard to believe that Warbonnet guyline and PariaOutdoorProducts guyline are both pure dyneema. The WB stuff is very slippery. The Paria stuff has a very rough surface and doesn't seem slippery. Maybe it's inherently slippery, and they made the surface extremely rough to compensate to make it hold knots?

I'm not saying the PariaOutdoorProducts dyneema guyline is "better" than Lawson Glowire. There are many axes on which to make comparisons between them. But if you carry almost 100ft of tarp-related cordage, as I do, the weight savings are worth considering.

I'll probably keep the Lawson Glowire on my tarp ridgeline, but I may replace my stake guylines and side-panel pullout guylines with PariaOutdoorProduct dyneema guyline.
    Last edited by schwad; 10-10-2021 at 09:35.

Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    EE Rev 20, JRB MW3
    Suspension
    Becket, J-bend
    Here's my experience with the above cordage, that led me to my current appreciation for the Paria dyneema guyline.

I started with the PariaOutdoorProducts cordage because it came with the tarp I have from them. I didn't like it much at first, because it's small, and I therefore found it difficult to untie knots that I'd tied. But to be quite honest, my repertoire of knots was initially 1) bowline, and 2) two half hitches. I hadn't practiced anything else. Not even a marlinspike hitch. I was using bowlines around my stakes. PITA.

I then bought a WB Thunderfly with Warbonnet guyline, and studied a few knots. I found that knots (e.g. trucker's hitch / McCarthy Hitch) didn't hold well in the ridgeline, because the guyline is slippery. OTOH, using a marlinspike hitch around my Warbonnet tent stakes held just fine. I could "adjust the tension" on the stake lines by moving the stake elsewhere in the ground. But the ridgeline needed replacing, if I wanted knots to hold in the wind (without using hardware, like a tarptick).

I got Lawson Glowire for my ridgeline. This holds knots well. It's also very reflective, so I can find my tarp in the night. The only downside, for backpacking, is that it's nearly twice the weight per length (oz/ft) of the other two products. Still, I was happy using it on my ridgeline with e.g. a slipped McCarthy hitch, a slipped buntline hitch, and a Farrimond hitch.

For my backpacking trip through the Whites in NH, I used Lawson Glowire on my ridgeline (for knots) and WB guyline for the stake guylines & side panel pullouts to save weight. This worked well as long as I tied the WB guyline out to stakes, but on numerous occasions I needed to tie to something else. E.g. I tied to eyebolts while over a tent platform, and to trees for side-panel pull-outs. In this case, I could get a knot to tie, but if I tied an adjustable loop it would always slip under tension. (Admittedly, I was probably using two half hitches instead of a midshipman's hitch or something better.) So I found it very difficult to tension my guylines when attached to fixed objects.

This morning, I set up my old(er) Paria tarp and tested a Farrimond hitch. The Farrimond hitch holds and adjusts well! Two half hitches also hold well. I think that as long as knots are tied in their "slippery" form -- so you just pull the rope's free end to undo the knot -- the Paria dyneema guyline could work quite well.
    Last edited by schwad; 10-10-2021 at 23:22.

Hammock
    MYOG Bridge
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Suspension
    Straps & Turtles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by schwad View Post
    I find it hard to believe that Warbonnet guyline and PariaOutdoorProducts guyline are both pure dyneema. The WB stuff is very slippery. The Paria stuff has a very rough surface and doesn't seem slippery. Maybe it's inherently slippery, and they made the surface extremely rough to compensate to make it hold knots?
    Warbonnet guyline is the same as the stuff you get from Ripstip by the roll. I've bought both.

Will the cord sold by Paria work in the Loopalien or Dutch tensioner?

Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    EE Rev 20, JRB MW3
    Suspension
    Becket, J-bend
    Quote Originally Posted by packman9000 View Post
    Will the cord sold by Paria work in the Loopalien or Dutch tensioner?
    I don't actually know, as I don't use (or own) either piece of hardware. If they work with 1.5mm line, then probably yes. I don't see a cord diameter spec for the loop alien here, and I don't know which Dutch tensioner you're referring to.

I can say that the Paria dyneema guylines that came with my Paria tarp (the Sanctuary Siltarp) have "micro line-loks" on them -- and they work well with that hardware, even though I hate the micro line-loks. (The bulk dyneema guyline that they sell does not come with the hardware.)

Hammock
    MYOG Bridge
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Suspension
    Straps & Turtles
    Images
    ...sorry, that's on me I should have been more specific. The Dutch Flyz. Which was a dumb question actually because it has the V-lock thing like a Fig 9. Thanks!

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456