Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by uninjured View Post
    Was there any consensus on the shedding issue? Are the particles carcinogenic? Can they cause other health issues to human or animal? I also remember reading some complaints about it but I don't know if health was discussed.
    I don't think anyone mentioned health, but an interesting idea. That was big in the news not long ago, the micro-particles in body wash, face peels, holiday decor (glitter) etc. I didn't really give it a thought since it seemed like it would be adding too much worry to an already crazy world. They're finding the stuff in fish and other life in the oceans. Even in remote arctic locations. Crazy stuff!!

For me, it was just a nuisance. But all avoided if you never aim a flashlight around your home

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    JacksRBetr 12 x 10
    Insulation
    JRB 20deg set
    Suspension
    Straps & Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by uninjured View Post
    Was there any consensus on the shedding issue? Are the particles carcinogenic? Can they cause other health issues to human or animal? I also remember reading some complaints about it but I don't know if health was discussed.
    No risks. It's basically engineered sand. The roundness gives it the reflecting qualities.

Hammock
    Warbonnet, Eldorado, Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB thunderfly, etc
    Insulation
    WB Wookie
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings etc
    I just received my third batch of Glowire and am now slowly changing over all my tarps away from Zing-it to the 2mm glowire. I've bought some 2.5 and some 3 mm as well, but like the 2.0 best. My only problem is that my continuous ridgelines are built around Dutch's wasps and hooks, neither of which works with the slightly fatter 2.0 mm glowire.

So now I'm looking for a replacement for the wasps and hooks. I really like dutch's bling, but the glowire is more important to me, so new bling is on my radar as long as it's not limited to that slippery devil, the zing-it and lash-it. Any suggestions for new hardware, or do I need to improve my knot skills. I'm knot stupid, ya know.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    WL Oldman Winter
    Insulation
    WL Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Cinch Bugs
    Images
    I think Nama Claws work on 2 mm glowire...might check with them.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    EE/HG/UGQ quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pavel View Post
    I just received my third batch of Glowire and am now slowly changing over all my tarps away from Zing-it to the 2mm glowire. I've bought some 2.5 and some 3 mm as well, but like the 2.0 best. My only problem is that my continuous ridgelines are built around Dutch's wasps and hooks, neither of which works with the slightly fatter 2.0 mm glowire.

So now I'm looking for a replacement for the wasps and hooks. I really like dutch's bling, but the glowire is more important to me, so new bling is on my radar as long as it's not limited to that slippery devil, the zing-it and lash-it. Any suggestions for new hardware, or do I need to improve my knot skills. I'm knot stupid, ya know.
    Unless you are in the habit of running into your ridgeline I would leave it as zing-it with the Dutch bling and just do the tripping points in the glowire. Just my two cents.......

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pavel View Post

Some knots you might find useful for no-hardware tarp and hammock suspension. Ideal for Glowire.

Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    DIY 1.7MTN
    Tarp
    HG Camo DCF Palace
    Insulation
    Incubator/Alsek
    Suspension
    Strap/Cinch Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by donig View Post
    I think Nama Claws work on 2 mm glowire...might check with them.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
    Yes. We have folks that use the NAMA Claws with 2mm Glowire. It's not easy to thread, but they have done it.

We are also very close to releasing our own reflective dyneema line that isn't nearly as slick as Lash-It/Zing-It. It will obviously work great with the NAMA Claws but also plays well with knots.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Need Adventure...Make Adventure

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    Quote Originally Posted by unshavenman View Post
    Unless you are in the habit of running into your ridgeline I would leave it as zing-it with the Dutch bling and just do the tripping points in the glowire. Just my two cents.......
    I agree with this. Just my own opinion though, but I would leave the ridgeline the way it is, no need for reflective line there. That's one of the last places I would want it.

Everything that attaches to the ground, or the doors on a winter tarp, I would put reflective line there.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    If there is a real "run into" potential, you can always tie a short length of Day-Glo survey tape to the line. I do that sometimes when I add an extension to my guylines or have them raise to attach to tree limbs instead of ground stakes.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Warbonnet, Eldorado, Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB thunderfly, etc
    Insulation
    WB Wookie
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings etc
    All good replies and suggestions, and my thanks for that. Yes, I run into the lines once in a while, and my wife who has only recently become welcoming to the hammocking idea is my tripping-tag-team partner. But part of my switch is not just the reflectivity, but to have a broader set of choices out there to play with in my quest for Hanging Nirvana. I am nearly inept with knots, despite liking the idea of keeping it simple with knots, and on some days if my left hand is not working well, then I am potentially stuck. My left hand has days that it works fine, and others where I can't even tie off a tomato plant, much less deal with what I now call "the slippery devil" zing-it. The glowire is still a Knot challenge for me on some days, but with it, a game that I win more often.

I plan to have both in use, not completely getting rid of zing it and last it. It seems to be a favorite here, has many attractive properties and I've go a LOT of it. But the glowire has it's own virtues, and so for short goy-out lines, like the bad weather sort of setup I want to practice, the glow of the glowire may save me an expensive tarp. In long lengths I've notices that there is always more of a forgiving spring, with any line. So far the plan is that all my tarps will have glowire on them permanently attached and then I'll have both glowire and zing it for extensions. That's the plan anyways. As I read more comments, and learn more, it's all subject to change.

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast