Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by rweb82 View Post
    You can add one more to the Lawson Glowire fan list!
    this is most distressing.

i have no need for any special guyline rope, i'm fine with various options i can find locally as long as they are not offensive to deal with when it comes to knots, but this is intriguing, how can guyline rope cause such loyal following? i feel if i figure out what they did and how they thought to design "the ultimate guyline rope", and figure out how to apply it in general, i could make the world a better place. or something.

i think i'll end up having to import some guyline rope, of all things. most intriguing.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Don't stress too much. We Yanks are just spoiled with an embarrassment of options and are always chasing that last Nth degree.

But when it comes to cord, for me it is indeed that last Nth degree. Which means there's at least one thing I can cross off the "gotta haves" list, which is actually getting pretty short as there are very, very few things I haven't tweaked to the absolute max.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    As this is generally about guylines, would someone please post a photo of a threaded LineLoc. Maybe mention the diameter (size) of line used. Thank you.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    One I DON'T recommend is Nite-eze; the green cord. It’s fine by itself but it doesn’t play well with others. What I mean is, the component that makes the cord reflective also gets in the way of any sliding action - like moving a prusik knote. Or sliding though a LineLoc. It just “catches” a bit. I bought a whole bunch before I discovered HF and found out about alternatives. So it’s not so much that it doesn’t work at all; it’s more that there are cords that work better.
    I’ll second that. It works fine if your going to use hardware to make your adjustments but yeah it’s very grippy. But it is super reflective.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY (Olive Oyl)
    Insulation
    [allergic to down]
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    It may be a “low tech” solution but if I have guy lines I’m concerned about (day or night), I tear off a length (8 inches or so) of day-glow survey tape and tie it on the line for more visibility during the day.
    I usually pick up pieces of birch bark to do the same thing!

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by P-Dub View Post
    I usually pick up pieces of birch bark to do the same thing!
    Another good (free!) option is narrow strips of Tyvek cut from the larger mailing envelopes. They can withstand quite a bit of whipping in the wind and remain intact... attach to guy lines by tying on with a clove hitch.
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    JacksRBetr 12 x 10
    Insulation
    JRB 20deg set
    Suspension
    Straps & Whoopies
    [QUOTE=nanok;2058974]this is most distressing.

i have no need for any special guyline rope, i'm fine with various options i can find locally as long as they are not offensive to deal with when it comes to knots, but this is intriguing, how can guyline rope cause such loyal following? i feel if i figure out what they did and how they thought to design "the ultimate guyline rope", and figure out how to apply it in general, i could make the world a better place. or something.

i think i'll end up having to import some guyline rope, of all things. most intriguing.[/QUOTE

Lawson made the effort and is fiercely proud of every aspect of every foot he sells. It's the MOST reflective thing out there by a long shot. In terms of stiffness, tangle free, easy to knot and unknot ability, its's a dream. I've never seen anything close. 250 lb break strength from a 2mm poly line is impressive. It holds in a line loc3 and works acceptably in most hardware made for 1.75mm spectra.

I use his 2mm glowire for tarp guylines and his 3mm to anchor my Tensa4.

Quote Originally Posted by JPCPAT View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nanok View Post
    this is most distressing.

i think i'll end up having to import some guyline rope, of all things. most intriguing.
    Lawson made the effort and is fiercely proud of every aspect of every foot he sells. It's the MOST reflective thing out there by a long shot. In terms of stiffness, tangle free, easy to knot and unknot ability, its's a dream. I've never seen anything close. 250 lb break strength from a 2mm poly line is impressive. It holds in a line loc3 and works acceptably in most hardware made for 1.75mm spectra.

I use his 2mm glowire for tarp guylines and his 3mm to anchor my Tensa4.
    that's not helping is it, in fact it's almost cruel :P

thanks for the detailed description, i was thinking indeed that they must have really put thought into it and designed something that really makes sense. i respect that enough that i'll have to buy some just to try, even though it's quite pricey, and i really feel no "need" for it, in terms of use. i just got to experience it for myself.

Hammock
    SLD TL 1.6
    Tarp
    ThunderFly SP 20D
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, Costco TQ
    Suspension
    Becket
    If it helps, and as recommended by some of the fine folks of this thread, I literally got my Lawson glowire 2mm 100' in black and 100' in red and I must say this is seriously the Cadillac of guyline cordage. I think JPCPAT is right that a lot of consideration went into it. I tied up a bowline put massive stress on it and it was much easier to untie than 1.8mm lashit. I doubt this stuff will tangle and I can probably have 4-6' on each of my tarp tieouts and just roll it up without needing to wind it up like I do lashit.

I think I will probably start getting rid of any and all hardware now and just leave it at glowire, lashit, shock cord and amsteel and let the creativity flow.

Looking forward to lighting this up tonight to see how she glows.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Looking forward to lighting this up tonight to see how she glows.

Kinda subjective but this is how it looks with about 40 lumens of light directed at it.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast