SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    SLD TW/HG Econ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

PA: West Rim Trail, October 8-11, 2021

Anyone up for hiking the WRT in early October? I'm hoping for some decent fall foliage, but might be a little early for that.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon Wide
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    UGQ 20*TQ/ 0* UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    Images
    Sounds like a great trip! Right now I’m planning to hike the NJ section of the AT, from High Point SP to NY state line, the same week. But I will keep this in mind if things fall through.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2019 NJ Winter Hang Coup De Grace De Grub Champion
    Breathe In, Breathe Out, Move On. - Jimmy Buffett
    https://lighterpack.com/r/yk6y8s

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    SLD TW/HG Econ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Porkroll View Post
    Sounds like a great trip! Right now I’m planning to hike the NJ section of the AT, from High Point SP to NY state line, the same week. But I will keep this in mind if things fall through.

Full disclosure: I was also hoping for a fellow hanger to avoid having to use the shuttle service from Pine Creek Outfitters.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CVKealey View Post
    Full disclosure: I was also hoping for a fellow hanger to avoid having to use the shuttle service from Pine Creek Outfitters.
    I don't remember the shuttle as being all that horrible (other than the cost). It's about 45 minutes, as I recall. Sometimes shuttles make sense, and in this case, I think it does.

We had a nice burger and a couple of beers waiting for the shuttle (or after the shuttle - I don't remember).
    Last edited by SilvrSurfr; 07-22-2021 at 23:35.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    SLD TW/HG Econ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I don't remember the shuttle as being all that horrible (other than the cost). It's about 45 minutes, as I recall. Sometimes shuttles make sense, and in this case, I think it does.

We had a nice burger and a couple of beers waiting for the shuttle (or after the shuttle - I don't remember).
    It's mostly the cost. I'm cheap

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Hammock
    3 gathered ends
    Tarp
    JRB Hex
    Insulation
    Jacks R Better
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Last time I did the WRT I hiked up to the Pine Creek outfitters on Rte 6 and rented a kayak. They dropped me out and I kayaked back. I then rented a bike and pedaled down the Gorge. The Outfitters picked up the bike.

It was great.

"Courage Grows Strong at a Wound" - Stewart Clan Motto

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    It's mostly the cost. I'm cheap
    Well I certainly don't remember it being cheap - I think it was between $45 and $60 one way. Unfortunately, the shuttle just made the most sense compared to other plans.

I've done a lot of shuttles where I can involve others and park cars at one end of the route, then travel back to the cars on the other end of the route. It costs nothing (theoretically), but you spend a lot of time shuttling - some of my trips have taken a couple of hours in shuttle time alone. That's before you even start hiking, canoeing, kayaking or whatever it is you do. If the start point is 45 minutes from the end-point, then that's 1.5 hours in shuttle time just to start the trip.

It really gets complicated with canoes or kayaks - it's virtually impossible to do any type of trip without incurring the cost of a shuttle, or the cost of driving back and forth to get all the watercraft on their respective vehicles.

Think about it: you show up at a river and you've got four cars and four watercraft. So you drop off all the watercraft and then drive a couple of cars to the end-point, and then drive back to the start-point. When you finally paddle to the end-point, now you gotta drive back to the start-point, and retrieve whatever vehicles remain (at least one). So that's a lot of trips back and forth to accomplish all that.
    Last edited by SilvrSurfr; 07-26-2021 at 01:53.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    SLD TW/HG Econ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Yeah, I know how that goes. We did a 16 mile section of the AT (Wind Gap PA to Delaware Water Gap) with 15 scouts and 8 leaders/adults. We spent a total of 4-5 hours shuttling vehicles back and forth.

I think it's now $40 for 1-2 passengers, but no break for singles. If I had another couple more vacation days to burn, I'd just hike both ways.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Yeah, I know how that goes. We did a 16 mile section of the AT (Wind Gap PA to Delaware Water Gap) with 15 scouts and 8 leaders/adults. We spent a total of 4-5 hours shuttling vehicles back and forth.

I think it's now $40 for 1-2 passengers, but no break for singles. If I had another couple more vacation days to burn, I'd just hike both ways.

As you know, nearly all of the great views are on the north end, so maybe park there and hike in 10, 15 or 20 miles and then back out.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Also, on very nice fall weekends there's usually a ton of people parking at Rattlesnake Rock and shuttling back north so maybe you could hitch a ride with somebody.

I know, hope isn't a great strategy but it might work.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast