WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Dutch Bonded Xenon
    Insulation
    Whooki/Burrow
    Suspension
    MyersTech/Becket

Larger tarp with doors or smaller tarp and underquilt protector

For those of you that own both which do you prefer to use in windy conditions, the larger tarp with doors or the smaller tarp and underquilt protector? Why?

Hammock
    SLD Voyageur / TL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Buckles/Becket
    Doors every time. My super fly is able to fairy easily provide shelter from wind without much fuss.

A smaller tarp would be harder to get just right requiring a lower pitch and getting the orientation to the oncoming wind just right. Also requiring adjustment of the wind shifts.

An underquilt protector does wonders, but it’s not a replacement for a tarp in significant wind I think.

My favorite UQ is simply light designs trail winder. UQ with wind protection built in.

I almost never regret having a larger tarp, but have several times regretted taking one that was too small. The extra 6oz is totally worth the risk to me.

Hammock
    To many
    Tarp
    To many
    Insulation
    Incubator 20 + oth
    Suspension
    Buckles
    Images
    I have both UQP & Larger tarp with doors (S fly). If one gets left home it's the UQP.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG DCF std w/doors
    Insulation
    WM TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    For me personally, the decision is mostly based on the likelihood that rain or snow will (a) splatter/splash when it hits the ground or (b) be blown sideways by the wind. Really, the UQP helps most with the former, and the doors on a tarp help with the latter. The only surfaces that have really caused me problems are rocks because of the likelihood of splatter being higher I suppose. Every time you solve one problem with a product, it seems like it creates another problem. Like having to carry extra weight. My UQP from 2QZQ is only 153 g, and yet I leave it home almost all the time.
    Iceman857

"An optimist is a man who plants two acorns and buys a hammock" - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny (French Army General in WWII)

Hammock
    SLD Voyageur / TL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Buckles/Becket
    Another thing to consider is the site. If you can find coverage from the wind (thicker tress, a hill, rock, etc) then less of a concern relying on a tarp for that.

The mini fly does a good job of you pitch tarp right low to the hammock and get things down low so that the sides become walls and the beaks cover the ends. If you find a tree where you can pitch right behind it, the tree also blocks most of the wind.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    When UQPs became popular six or eight years ago, I didn't pay one whit of attention to them because it's just not an idea that set well with me.

What do you do if your tarp is not adequate? The UQP answer is: add another 5 to 8 ounces of non-water repellent material underneath your UQ. That doesn't sound like a remotely intelligent choice to me. I'd rather have a bigger tarp with doors.

When UQPs first came out, they used to make them out of silnylon, but people found a water-repellent UQP to be a sweaty mess of condensation, so they started selling UQPs made with DWR (durable water repellant) fabrics.

But it is still a flawed concept, in my opinion, one that I will personally not entertain. Personally, I'll stick with a 4-season tarp with doors.
    Last edited by SilvrSurfr; 07-22-2021 at 00:27.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rambler_ View Post
    For those of you that own both which do you prefer to use in windy conditions, the larger tarp with doors or the smaller tarp and underquilt protector? Why?
    When this question comes up it is usually because someone is trying to reduce pack weight/volume.

Other conditions such as rain, snow and temperature are not mentioned, and of course these also have a big impact on choices. However, even more important are the points that Iceman857 brings up which are site selection and tarp orientation, to which I would add user skill and preferences.

Personally, about 90% of the time I go with an 11' doorless hex tarp (HG DCF) and no UQP, relying upon good site selection and pitching the tarp right down to the hammock SRL to make maximum use of available coverage. In colder temperatures, say below 20°F, instead of adding a UQP I switch to the HG Palace, because if more coverage is needed I would rather, as SilverSurfer does, 'spend' those extra grams on a larger tarp.

If you like to spend a lot of time hanging out under the tarp or if your meal prep is any more complicated than heating water, or if you like having a lot of room to stand up under the tarp, you'll need a larger tarp. And not just a tarp with doors, but a wider tarp as well. For me, unless it's really crappy out the only thing I do is get into the hammock to nap or sleep and only use the stove under the tarp if it's raining.

But I'm lucky because I'm mid-60s in age and don't have any back or joint issues, so my my situation and outlook could change in the coming years when bending over becomes a problem.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Yes
    Tarp
    Doors for sure
    Insulation
    Love some down
    Suspension
    Usualy helps
    I'll take the weight penalty and have doors 99% of the time. I've been burned a few times and it really isn't that much more weight. If you aren't going to use them, they can easily be folded back out of the way. My $.02

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    I have both and go for a tarp with doors every time. I just got back from the John Rock and and we had a couple of hours long monsoon rain storm come thru and once the rain passed I went and checked my gear and the hammock, UQ and the pack hanging from end of hammock were dry. As I am a tall guy I do not set my tarp low. Also I had the tarp in semi porch mode with left side of the tarp in porch mode and the rain was blowing in that direction. The doors on the right side end of the tarp were closed and the left hand side doors were not closed.

DSC00376.jpg
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    If it is JUST windy, I’d opt for the UQP because, for me, it’s fun to have the wind blow the hammock around a little. But if you add rain and/or cold (winter) in too, then the doors will provide a more secure shelter. Some women like doors on their tarp because it can provide more privacy. Many of my tarps have doors but I seldom use them.

The UQP provides some assistance more than wind blocking. It has happened, when packing up, that the hammock might slip out of my grip. The UQP keeps it clean. Also, as I’m switching hammocks and UQ, they are not always “dialed in”. The UQP covers the UQ ends so I don’t have to be so precise in my UQ fit.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast