Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    UP by Cedar Ridge
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images

Trekking Treez anchor woes

We spent many hours the last two weekends testing a pair of Trekking Treez on our property (5 acres of woods) in the Pacific NW.

We have two hammocks and a wide tarp and are practicing the 1 tree, 2 hammock set up.

The 30cm boomstake anchors seem to be incompatible with our soil (loose sandy soil with lots of rocks). These had been recommended to us by Cheryl based on our weights (125-130 lb and 145-150 lbs).

Either the stake pulls out (vertically), or more commonly, the stake and anchor drags horizontally through the soil towards the pole as I (130lbs) sits or lies down on one hammock for seconds to only a few minutes. We didn't even trust to put the tarp on the same anchors (they had their own groundhogs).

We could acquire different anchors that might work here, and we have already ordered two Orange Screws to try at home. But we still wouldn't know which anchor to take with us backpacking, because we rarely if ever go to a place we've been before, so we won't know soil conditions. (We have had trips where it was hard to drive 8 inch groundhog stakes all the way in.) And it's not practical to take with us 30cm boomstake anchors and 40cm and large Orange Screws to account for all possibilities.

We had bought the Trekking Treez as insurance/security if we arrived at a site and couldn't find 2 trees to hang two hammocks from. But at this point, we've spent over $400, one of us is carrying heavier poles than in the past, plus an additional 2.3 lbs and bulk. And we can't trust it yet for 5 minutes of one only person. Let alone 2 people, 4 anchors (plus tarp anchors) and getting in and out of hammocks in the middle of the night. If we add 2 large Orange Screws to complement the 30cm boomstake anchors, that's an additional 12.25in x 2, plus 7.2oz total.

We really want to make this work, if there is a workable solution. But at the moment it feels like we are getting further away from the basic backpacking principles of multi use, compact, minimalist, etc.

We have emailed Tensa for advice or recommendations. Awaiting to hear.

But we figured maybe the forum community might have other thoughts.

And yes, we'll be re-watching Shug's video on going to ground as our last resort if we can't make this work.

Any help would be welcome.

Hammock
    SLD Voyageur / TL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Buckles/Becket
    I haven't used that specific product, but I have used a stout pole for one end. I anchored the top of the pole with a log on one side and a large rock on the other. It was very solid. I've done this twice in order to get the hang that I wanted. Seems like, depending on what else is viable to anchor to, this could be an option.

I even used a shrub once and it worked well.

Do you have any pictures of the setup? The angles are going to determine a lot.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D

Trekking Treez anchor woes

I’m guessing
    Run a length of amsteel from stake to base of a bush, tree, or sapling. It should be inline with cord that goes from hammock to stake.

And like posted above by Tpatter:
    Put a large heavy rock or log on top of cord and stake juncture.

Maybe those orange screws will hold better.

If on private land, and owner says ok...
    You can cut a sapling into a large stake or stob.
    And pound it deep into ground with a mallet or rock. After you tie off on that, maybe you will be high and dry.

In morning, after releasing all rope and cord, hammer the stob below ground level-out of sight.
    Maybe easier than trying to pull it out of ground.

Australia...Sub-Tropical Qld, Temperate Tasmania & Tropical Thailand
    Hammock
    Madtree Tarseer
    Tarp
    DIY Cuben
    Insulation
    Warm & fluffy
    Suspension
    Slings and Rings
    Images
    If 2 guylines aren't holding in softer soils maybe try 3 or 4 guylines + wider stakes (more holding power in loose soils)
    Keep natural anchors in mind too...

Weightwise the screw stake is middle-of-road. In between the lighter 30cm & slightly heavier 40cm boomstake. Versatile combo to cover more ground types ? 2x stakes & a screw ? Experiment & find what's good for you.
    Last edited by ofuros; 07-21-2021 at 15:39.
    Mountain views are good for the soul....& getting to them is good for my waistline.

https://ofuros.exposure.co/

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    As suggested, I would always try to find and use existing anchors - the base of a bush, roots, smaller trees, rocks, man-made structures or anything that is sufficiently strong. You could also try supplementing the Trekking Treez with trekking poles (if you carry them) or branches you might find to form an A. The second pole should take some load off the stakes.

I’ve been working on this too and have both the Trekking Treez boom stakes and the orange stakes. The Orange are better, but still fail in even moderately soft soil and are diffcult to screw into hard soil. The best solution Ive found is to back up the Orange with a second stake guy’d out in line with the intention of holding the head of the Orange back against the hammock pull. Works but Orange stakes are 4oz.

Ive used two Gossamer Gear carbon trekking poles lashed together as the “stand” for the other end of a one tree setup. This works. I use a couple light guys staked out perpendicular to the the suspension line to stabilize the poles and a 7/64” Amsteel line to the Orange stake.

The extra lines and stakes needed to make even a one tree setup work approaches half a pound, more than I’m willing to carry in spite of my fears. Might do carry when I bikepack, a one tree setup opens a lot of options

I also tried Delta brand stakes but they pulled out very easily with only a partial load.
    Last edited by KragB; 07-23-2021 at 07:36.

Hammock
    WBRR or WBBBxlc
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    straps
    I am following this thread as I am very interested in this system.
    Went backpacking in Great Sand Dunes NP this past weekend and 'slept' on air pad in a tent. The next two days we were at a wooded campground so could use our hammocks ... slept so much better!!
    If this system could reliably replace a tent for situations like dunes or general lack of trees, I'd seriously consider it even with the weight penalty.

And of course the orange screw isn’t much help in rocky ground. My thinking at this point is one really needs to bring multiple stakes for different grounds. Again, it can be done, but it gets heavy.

Ground anchor idea: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...mate-tent-pegs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast