banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Quote Originally Posted by LowTech View Post
    Nice angle on the Solo, but why is the hammock so far away from it?
    You could keep the height and have less pressure on your ridgeline.
    If the Solo hang point is too high without letting out suspension like that, top secret undocumented tip is that you can connect the hammock and guylines to the next lower node on the pole, between segments 3-4 instead of 4-5, without issue. Just be sure to guy out the tarp extension to ground to avoid all that leverage, and again, the guylines and hammock attachment point MUST be at same station on pole.
    --
    Tensa Outdoor, LLC, maker of the Tensa4, Tensa Solo, and Tensa Trekking Treez hammock stands: http://tensaoutdoor.com/

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    That was my first "Solo" attempt and I hadn't got the hang of it yet.

There were several dynamics at play. See that tree growing out from that rock beyond the hammock - from the moisture on the ground, I knew the high tide would come up that far. Initially, the straps were attached to the "small" log on the hammock side of the bigger one on the left. It seemed more secure to move that small log/anchor to the far side of the larger log. However, in that position, it would float a tiny bit on high tide waves - a little disturbing until I understood what was happening. The gravel beach (is there any other kind in Washington) permitted the pole to sink in a bit once it was weighted.

The ground was closer to the hammock bottom than it might appear in the photo.

The award for the day in the "life's little annoyances" category was: As Steve and I were paddling in, two other kayakers raced passed us. I wasn't going to leave Steve, even though we were only 50 yards away from shore. Those two kayakers got the last spot on the Pelican Beach where Steve and I could camp in near proximity to each other - whether that's a feature or a bug, I don't know. But their site had two perfectly good hammock trees. And they strung an ENO hammock on them. And never used it.

But that provided the perfect opportunity to use the Solo pole for its purpose in life. I just needed one solid contact and the pole made up the second half. Worked great, several times, during that trip (posted with photos in Trip Reports). I never used the orange screws. Either the boomstakes or a picnic table did a good job for the anchor. I may make some 4 ft dog bones so I can split the force on the guy straps to two anchors per strap.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    I may make some 4 ft dog bones so I can split the force on the guy straps to two anchors per strap.
    You know, that's a simply brilliant idea that had somehow always escaped my attention. The "traditional" ways to equalize load on say 3 anchors require a lot of line and are complex. Your idea isn't as fancy, but a whole lot simpler, and likely functionally adequate in most cases.
    --
    Tensa Outdoor, LLC, maker of the Tensa4, Tensa Solo, and Tensa Trekking Treez hammock stands: http://tensaoutdoor.com/

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by Latherdome View Post
    You know, that's a simply brilliant idea that had somehow always escaped my attention. The "traditional" ways to equalize load on say 3 anchors require a lot of line and are complex. Your idea isn't as fancy, but a whole lot simpler, and likely functionally adequate in most cases.
    I just showed a method of multi staking at a "One Tree" demo I did at the SoCal hang. It is based on the guy lines being UCRs. I use two 3' dogbones that I put through the loop on the end of the UCR line. One of them is just folded in half and goes to the main stake. The other one has a stake at each end.
    It is possible to go w/ longer dogbones but 3' is about the shortest that I would use being that I'd want a bit of distance between the stakes.

"Sent w/o me knowing"

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Credit where credit's due - I'm pretty sure, a while back, LowTech posted a photo - not the one above - that used a 4' dog bone to make an equilateral triangle (2' on a side) by feeding the line through the loop at the end of the guy-webbing or UCR. I suppose one should get out their old Trig book to determine the best angle/distance apart to anchor the split line for the maximum reduction of force on the stakes.

Sure, you have to put in four stakes instead of two. But they don't have to be as robust. Sometimes putting in four shorter stakes is faster than two longer ones. Where I camp, I don't find the soft green "lawn" you'd have at a city park.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123