Tarp
    TrailHeadz Topo
    Insulation
    CRO / JRB /TH
    Suspension
    Autumn Ultralight

Dolly Sods: Dutchware, TrailHeadz, and Gear-Report

Dolly Sods....
    This trip has been on my "list" for a while now. I'm not sure why I've not visited it before this past weekend. I think part of it was finding the right hiking companions to experience it with. John Rammel and Thomas Ressler were the complete right choice. A 24-mile loop over 4 days turned into a 20-mile leisure cruise over 3 days.
    Day 1. Started with a 6-hour drive from Statesville up to Northern WV and was one of the most beautiful backcountry road drives I've taken in quite a while. Once we were all at the trailhead. We disembarked with full packs on an easy 7-mile cruise. Blueberry patches and fern-covered glades welcomed us with open arms. The diversity and beauty of the Sods could not be captured on camera, though I tried. Camp for day 1 was right next to a tannin-filled stream and a well-built fire pit. John walks off into the woods of what appeared to be a very stripped area for firewood and comes back a short time later with armloads of dry wood for the evening cooking fire. Dutch has his hammock up immediately upon arrival and climbs in for some additional testing of his already wildly popular chameleon hammock. I on the other hand kick my shoes off and enjoy some bourbon sitting in the stream. While the Fillets are cooking over the open fire we're entertained by a doe and her fawn walking through camp. Hiker midnight arrives and we drift off to the sounds of the stream and other nighttime noises.
    Day 2. Is a classic walk in the woods through hardwood and pine trees. After a technical climb up to Lionshead for a lunch of hard cheeses and summer sausage hits the spot. Or more like brunch since it's not even 10:30 yet. Back on the trail and we reach a glorious camp next to another stream and small sand beach and even though it's only noon. WE all agree that this will be camp tonight. Hammocks are deployed and naps are at the top of the Agenda. The TrailHeadz Poltergeist has me snoozing in a cloud. After awaking we gather firewood and once again John comes back with the good stuff. The dinner menu is Bison ribeye and hard cheeses and a Barred owl for entertainment. WE watched him and he watched us for what felt like an hour. Then, suddenly and without a sound he swoops down pulls a small fish from the stream, and off to the forest, he disappears. Again hiker midnight and tonight I decided to set up the camera in hopes of catching some stars.
    Day 3. Moments, after we get the tarps packed up the sky, starts to sprinkle so out comes the rain gear. Comparisons with choices of rain jackets and other prototypes are discussed. We loosely start talking about making a push for the trailhead in case the planned severe weather arrives early. 10-miles of being threatened by intermittent storm clouds and blazing hot sun. We get back to the cars and get loaded. Not a moment too soon as the sky opens up and we are in the middle of a heavy thunderstorm. I am thankful that we didn't dilly dally too long on the hike today, because our timing was perfect!
    This trip will go down as one of the most beautiful and relaxing stomps of my life. And I'm truly thankful for friends like John and Dutch to share it with.
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs. I am haunted by waters.”
    ― Norman Maclean

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Glad y’all could escape to panoramic wilderness for a few days
    A bit of rain and you’re really camping

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair & WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG 12ft. Sil Poly
    Insulation
    SLD Trail Winder
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Oh man, sounds wonderful...Dolly Sods is on my hiking bucket list. Hoping to be there in the fall.
    ~ Rerun

In 100 years it won't make any difference...

Dolly sods is an awesome place for sure!

Hammock
    Dutchware Netless
    Tarp
    HG DCF W Palace
    Insulation
    Quilt + Underquilt
    Suspension
    Spider Web+ C Loop
    On my short (long?) list for sure...but it's a little far of a drive so I would like to make it a bit longer of a trip mileage wise. Is it possible to make an interesting loop in the 70-90 mile range? I also have a Poltergeist on the way that I will be needing to try out this fall...

Hammock
    11' Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by eamonnconnor View Post
    On my short (long?) list for sure...but it's a little far of a drive so I would like to make it a bit longer of a trip mileage wise. Is it possible to make an interesting loop in the 70-90 mile range? I also have a Poltergeist on the way that I will be needing to try out this fall...
    If you add in Roaring Plains/southern sods you could get a pretty decent sized loop. The problem is there are less than 50 miles of trail total in the northern sods and roaring plains adds another 17 miles.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• + New Posts