Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG The Journey
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Dutch BeetleBuckle

Stupid question! How do I use the "doors".

Hey all. Sorry for what may seem like a dumb question. I bought a Hammock Gear Journey tarp with panels (or "doors"). I was out on a trip last week and could not figure out a way to tie them (either closed or opened) where they wouldn't flap in the wind.

Any pointers on how it should be used? I'm sure I'm missing something really simple!

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    I have a Superfly, and I use shock cord with mitten hooks to hold them back. When I deploy, the mitten hook and shock cord is stretched to the opposite corner and clipped on to the D ring. When stowed, it's hook to hook.

2020-06-26_08-09-23_185 (2).jpg

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    Oh, those doors. I was going to say you put the platter on the record player and find out what an incredible group The Doors were. At least that what I thought back in 1969 and even to this day. Yeah, sonny, let me tell you about them good ol' days of rock and roll.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Not sure I understand the problem. You stake out your tarp using the four main tarp tie-outs. Then, you have the tarp doors dangling, and you just cross them over and stake them out to close the doors. On a hex tarp, it's four tarp tie-outs, but on a winter tarp with doors, it's 8 tie-outs. You can never get the tarp doors completely closed (nor would you want to, because you need ventilation).

I really like tarps with doors. They work great in high winds and heavy rain. However, I haven't seen the benefit in snow. One night I had my tarp nailed down tight as heck, but when I turned on my headlamp, I could see snow blowing through a tiny opening. That was enough to put 6 or 8 inches of snow on my topquilt. I had to wake up every couple of hours to shake off the snow!

I still find hammock camping more comfortable and manageable than tent camping. When 3 to 5 inches of rain come down in 8 hours, you don't want to be in a tent. There's nothing like waking up in a hammock, to see a river of rain underneath your hammock, but you don't care 'cause you're high and dry.
    Last edited by SilvrSurfr; 07-16-2021 at 21:49.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Dream, Sparrow and Raven
    Tarp
    HG Cuban, SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    UCR, always change
    Images
    If you are thinking the doors tie together, they don't. Most are designed to stake down to the ground in some manner. I have some small clips on mine which adds some versatility. You can do them in different ways from all the way open (photo above) or maximum overlap for minimum wind/rain/snow blowing in. Can stake one open and one closed, etc.
    If there is possible rain and I don't want to stake them closed, I don't tie them open on the outside as shown above. But clip them together inside the tarp so I can deploy while staying mostly under the tarp when the rain starts.
    Call me Junior

Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    "For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away" Bryan Adams....
    "Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes." - sargevining on HF

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HomerJ View Post
    Hey all. Sorry for what may seem like a dumb question. I bought a Hammock Gear Journey tarp with panels (or "doors"). I was out on a trip last week and could not figure out a way to tie them (either closed or opened) where they wouldn't flap in the wind.

Any pointers on how it should be used? I'm sure I'm missing something really simple!
    You can make some combination of cord, shock cord (bungee) and mitten hooks to tie them back out of the way, or use them to attach to separate stakes, or criss-cross them to tie to your corner tarp stakes and close them.

Here's a pic of my tarp doors with just such rigging. Never had a problem with this.

Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Dream, Sparrow and Raven
    Tarp
    HG Cuban, SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    UCR, always change
    Images
    ^^ On above photo, that's what I do when the weather could be bad. I forgot to mention that option. And if I stake to the ground, I can use the corner tie out stakes. Or I have a few Titanium shepherds hooks to use.
    Call me Junior

Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    "For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away" Bryan Adams....
    "Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes." - sargevining on HF

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG The Journey
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Dutch BeetleBuckle
    Thanks for all your anwers. They confirm I'm an idiot ;-)

I was tying the doors together, or trying to tie them up to the 4 tie outs in the middle of the panels (2 on each side).

Using the corner tie outs seems obvious now...

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I like to hold the doors I am not using back with a binder clip. Roll and clip. Works for me.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG The Journey
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Dutch BeetleBuckle
    Good idea Shug. Thanks for the link, I had somehow missed that video in my binge watch sessions of your vids!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast