Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I started with the line on a Hennessy, moved to webbing, then Whoopies, and settled on daisy chain for simplicity. But I did miss the continuous adjustment as some chain’s steps were too long (5 -6 inches). Now, if I’m using chains, I also have a small amsteel loop I can double to create a half-step distance. I keep thinking I’ll go back to webbing but haven’t yet. The goal is to put EVO loops on all my webbing straps and move the Dutch Clips to any daisy chain I plan to keep. That’s because the chain has a “tree” end and chain end. The tree end has a length of webbing (leader) before the loops begin and if the tree/hammock distance is small, in that configuration the Loops don’t start soon enough. So I reverse the chain, wrapping the loop end around the tree so the chain loops start right way. It’s confusing to describe because, yes, the daisy chain does have a loop at each end. But for Atlas/Python straps, one end is for the tree. Now daisy chain from Dutch is very light and you can buy it by the foot. His loops start right away. “just for fun” I would carry the 15 ft chains when kayak camping but it turns out, I’ve had to use them the last too times because of tree distance/diameter.

The Whoopie sling was fun to learn - my second to last project in my self-imposed Amsteel curriculum (last step was making an eye without access to the other end of the line). But it was difficult to adjust without unweighting it - like with the hammock attached. With webbing or a chain I don’t have to detach the hammock to make an adjustment. I know, with a whoopie, I can just put the hammock a bit and tuck it under my arm as I unmilk/adjust/remilk the bury. But it’s just too much fuss for me. And maybe more importantly, too fussy for the people I’m with who are a bit skeptical of hammock camping.

I say, “See, easy - wrap the strap around the tree, clip the biner in a loop - done"
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Quote Originally Posted by CVKealey View Post
    I like having flexibility in my setup so it's easier to adapt to different situations, tree spacing, etc. My "standard" suspension right now is a pair of 7' poly straps with an evo loop on one end. Those go around the trees. In tight spaces (< 12 feet or so between trees), I tie those right to the CLs with a beckett hitch. For more normal spacing (~15-20 feet), I have a pair of toggles (made from sections of fiberglass tent poles - not the lightest, but not heavy, plenty sturdy and I already had 'em) that I attach to the strap with a MSH and a pair of slings with Dutch whoopie hooks. I'll use one or both of them as needed. The total suspension weight (straps, toggles and whoopies) is ~4 ounces. I previously used a pair of 15' kevlar straps with a beckett hitch. That was definitely simpler and a few hairs lighter (~3 ounces), but fine-tuning the height was always a bit tricky. Whoopies are much better for micro-adjustments.
    Pretty much this for me. My last hang had one tree with a 3m (10ft) girth and one with maybe 60cm (2ft) girth. I use 4m tree hungers which normally let me connect the CLs with J-bends but with the above trees and their spacing I needed the whoopies to "take up the slack".
    Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry - Viking proverb

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-W View Post
    Pretty much this for me. My last hang had one tree with a 3m (10ft) girth and one with maybe 60cm (2ft) girth. I use 4m tree hungers which normally let me connect the CLs with J-bends but with the above trees and their spacing I needed the whoopies to "take up the slack".
    Whoopies to the rescue! Ahhh, my Dear and Faithful friend the whoopie sling.
    Shug the Whoop
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    El Dorado
    Tarp
    Varies
    Insulation
    UQ varies
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    How many whoopies would a Shug whoop?
    If a Shug could whoop, whoopies.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rmcrow2 View Post
    How many whoopies would a Shug whoop?
    If a Shug could whoop, whoopies.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    Whoop Buddy))))
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WBBB XLC and DIY Double Layer
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    Wooki / Top quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Here are my reasons:

They work.
    They’re light and easy to adjust.
    I like to hang on things I’ve made.
    As Shug said, you get to say “whoopie” in public.
    And, finally, I like using a small stick to secure the Marlin Spike Hitch and watch other people’s eyes bulge when they think you’re about to fall on the ground. Just make sure you hang on the knot, not on the toggle!

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Superfly/Minifly
    Insulation
    WB DB, LL Habanero
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisJHC View Post
    Just make sure you hang on the knot, not on the toggle!
    Every. Single. Time. I hang using whoopies and a MSH I hear Shug in the back of my head saying this! Haha I cant get it out of my head. Its stuck up there along with scoldings from my mother to pick up after myself, "so long dental plan" from the simpsons, and other miscellaneous bits.

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Good question. The main issue most people have with UCR is securing the unloaded end of the bury, although there are some easy ways to manage that. When I was experimenting with them I used a simple Prusik made from a smaller cord, Atwood Micro cord @1.2mm. And then you still have to make some sort of knot or use hardware to join it up with the tree strap and maybe the hammock, although a fixed eye larksheaded thru the hammock's sewn channel would work there.

Attachment 186076

I used it on a few trips but then moved on to try other stuff. Finally settled upon the simplicity of strap straight to CL.
    I've just started using these. Made them in the Myers tech method to hold that loop and hook them straight to the ULs (ultimate loops) that I'm using on the hammock.
    Just did a few nights of travel and mostly had short hang distance so just used a short dogbone on the other end of the hammock.
    I do like that they are smaller and lighter(?) (still need to get that scale).

weight, space savings, unlimited adjustment

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by jooky View Post
    weight, space savings, unlimited adjustment
    It's that "unlimited adjustment" that felt "very limited" when it came to adjustment verses length of line that had me go to the UCR over the whoopie.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast