Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    SLD Asym
    Insulation
    Jacks R Better
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

I get mine from Jared at Simply Light Designs. I attach one end with a larks head to the tree strap and leave it that way. The other end has a Dutch hook permanently crafted in the loop and connects to the continuous loop in my hammock. I find my trees, connect the straps, then hook in the hammock and adjust. It can go down to or foot or less or up to four feet each side, plenty of adjustment. Crazy light and small, easy and fast set up, plenty of adjustment. I suppose I am somewhat new or limited in my suspension experience or at least diversity; am I missing something here?

then i dont have a clue on what your doing. i can move the slings in 3/8th increments from 14ft to 20ft. both systems are almost the same. so i dont know
    Last edited by jooky; 07-22-2021 at 11:26.

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by jooky View Post
    then i dont have a clue on what your doing. i can move the slings in 3/8th increments from 14ft to 20ft
    If that is to me then what I mean is that w/ the UCR I can go from 1' to 20' where as the whoopie you only get 14' to 20' like you said. Much more adjustable.

Hammock
    diy gath'd end w/ KM, diy PH whip't
    Tarp
    12' henessy
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, TQ and UQP
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie - msh
    Hey all. I've been busy building a house for the past 2 years. Have not been camping but am going this fall. I saw this post and wanted to add my 2 cents worth. It may have already been mentioned... I like whoopies. But I thought I'd give UCR's a try because sometimes trees are a tad too close for the whoopies to fit right. The UCR's did get me into tighter spots but I am not gonna use them. I had the head end slip on me late one night after taking a pit stop. I climbed back in and down I went. Glad there weren't any rock or branches under me. So here's something that may work for somebody. At the ends of my hammy I have CL's attached with a larks head. I could buy some space by making the CL's smaller but I'm good with it. I have a butt connector at the ends of the CL's, they are also attached with a larks head. One end of my whoopie loops over the toggle. My tree straps are maybe 6'. I use a MSH and 1/2" pex as a toggle and the other end of the whoopie loops around it. Nothing new here, what most guys use. (never worry about loosing a toggle...look on the ground for a stick) But if you find the trees are too close, pass the free end of the tree strap up thru the CL on the end of the hammy and take it back to the toggle, pulling the hammock closer to the tree. Make off to the toggle like you are making off to a cleat...a couple of figure eights ending with a half hitch. Pictures show what I'm talking about. Again, this might not be new....
    hammy-1.jpg
    toggle.jpg
    strap-1.jpg
    strap-end.jpg
    Last edited by wa4chq; 07-23-2021 at 11:16.
    Sailing, ham radio (qrp), linux, diy hammock stuff...
    www.qsl.net/wa4chq/godspeed.html
    www.qsl.net/wa4chq/radio.html

using the cleat hitch on the toggle is an interesting idea, i don't know if it's new, but i don't think i've seen it before. i see only one issue: your toggle is now also a cleat, and it better be sturdy enough to do that job, as it is now holding half of the weight on the cleat hitch (outsides of the toggle) and the other half on the middle (MSH), which could easily snap a found stick.

would it be safer to maybe make a slipped buntline hitch behind the toggle, so that the toggle remains "just a toggle"? (people do use a becket hitch to the CL on the hammock though, which is even simpler and seems to work well)

in my experience a UCR will not afford you tighter distances than a whoopie, assuming the lengths of the buries used are the same. having said that, if you want a bullet proof solution against ucr slipping, see the thread about that where i explain briefly with a few pics how i solved the problem (basically, you force the unloaded end of the ucr to bend around some rigid object, can be a very small and light object, this will stop even the slippiest ucr from sliding)

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...=1#post2056692

Hammock
    diy gath'd end w/ KM, diy PH whip't
    Tarp
    12' henessy
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, TQ and UQP
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie - msh
    Quote Originally Posted by nanok View Post
    i see only one issue: your toggle is now also a cleat, and it better be sturdy enough to do that job, as it is now holding half of the weight on the cleat hitch (outsides of the toggle) and the other half on the middle (MSH), which could easily snap a found stick.
    Good point. I guess instead of the figure 8's, you could go around it and just make it off with a slipped hitch. Then maybe it be just like the whoopie hung on the toggle.
    Sailing, ham radio (qrp), linux, diy hammock stuff...
    www.qsl.net/wa4chq/godspeed.html
    www.qsl.net/wa4chq/radio.html

I like the continuous loop.

I skipped a page or two so am not sure if this was mentioned but if the daisy chained strap was what you were trying to lose and make more adjustable, I have moved to a lightweight carabiner to connect the continuous loop to the tree strap using a marlin spike hitch. The carabiner becomes the toggle, it's easy to adjust, and you never have to triple check that you're on the toggle, and not the knot. I have a second hammock with whoopies and am using it there, too just to have a connection point I feel better about.

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345