Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    Darien Dream Hammock
    Images

Whoopie Sling - Why Bother?

For hammock suspension, I've been using a carabiner to connect my hammock's continuous loop to a daisy-chained tree-strap. This works, but I wanted a bit more flexibility when fine-tuning my hang. So, I purchased a pair of whoopie slings.

Looking at it now (and I probably didn't think this through), it just seems like an additional link in the chain. I've doubled the number of connections in my suspension.

Are there reasons for a whoopie sling over a cinch buckle or beetle other than weight?

Am I missing something?
    “There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have altered.” Nelson Mandela

Hammock
    El Dorado
    Tarp
    Varies
    Insulation
    UQ varies
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Kind of depends on how you're thinking about it. You've either added a link in the chain but now it is of adjustable length. Or you have replaced your carbiner with an adjustable length connection to your straps.

If you have your whoopie sling Larks headed to your continuous loop. You can use your carbiener to connect your whoopie sling to your tree strap and add adjustability in the system you already use.

You can also do away with the carbiner and connect the whoopie sling to the strap.

Marlin spike, Beckett hitch, are my preference.

If you've removed your continuous loop and Larks headed your whoopie sling to gather the end of your hammock; you can now and do away with the continuous loop and with the car beaner. Two pieces gone, down by five grams!!!!!! This will severely limit your options for very short hangs however and is not recommended.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY GE 12’ Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    CDT Gemini DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopi slings
    Images
    1. The biggest advantage is weight/length ratio. With a whoopie sling, I can get lots of distance for a few grams. This is most useful for folks packbacking.
    2. Cost to replace - I can make these myself for less cost than a set of straps.

I use short 2in wide straps around each tree and Marlin Spike Hitch to my whoopies. I tried various webbing but they either stretched too much or wouldn’t stay flat. I came back to using whoopies. But others love their straps and becket hitch. I do kind like to experiment, but I keep coming back to my whoopies.

Hammock
    Darien Dream Hammock
    Images
    Thanks for the quick replies - super helpful.

rmcrow2 - you're 100% right - depends on how you're looking at it. It does add the ability to adjust the length (which I want), but also adds a level of complexity that maybe a buckle would alleviate?? I honestly don't know. Just thinking out loud.

I hadn't considered lark's heading my whoopie to the continuous loop. So, I'll definitely be doing that.

The Marlin Spike Hitch with a toggle was my first approach to strapping to the tree - that's a great system and worked for me.

Another issue I encountered this afternoon while testing it out....my trees were too close for the whoopie sling - so I think a buckle connected to the tree strap would have been better in that situation.

Maybe the answer isn't one or the other, but have both and leverage what works best for each situation??
    “There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have altered.” Nelson Mandela

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Trees close together is the issue for me with whoopies.

If you learn how to make whoopies — and it really isn't hard at all — you can make them with the adjustable bury located as close to the fixed eye as possible, which results in a minimum length about a foot. If you further larkshead the fixed eye into the hammock channel (replacing the CL) the minimum distance can be even shorter.

All that said, I ditched all that stuff long ago and use Kevlar webbing tied straight to CL with Lapp hitch, and recently I've been testing the new Myerstech Hybrid poly-dyneema straps with good results... which is handy since Kevlar is hard to find these days.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Bulk mainly.
    And you get to say whoopie sling~~
    I started with straps but went to tree strap/marlinspike/toggle to whoopie sling to hammock. Been my go to since about 2009. Never ever not been able to hang and I have done a lot of hammock trips. Personally They work for me so I bother to use them.
    I did a Suspension Series that you could look at to see more options if you choose.....https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...RN4_MaZ8UAyzWm
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    El Dorado
    Tarp
    Varies
    Insulation
    UQ varies
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Also.
    For really tight hangs.
    Hang vertically from a branch to support your weight. Then loop a strap around the tree through your continuis( spell check, why change? ) loop to pull your Hammock closer to the trunk and make the most of the space.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Minifly
    Insulation
    JRB + EETQ
    Suspension
    Beckett Hitch
    It's mostly for the look your partner gives you when you tell them you bought a whoopie sling. Do what now?

But seriously I started out with a 'biner and daisy chain loops and there's nothing wrong with them at all, but if you carry them for 30 miles on your back you start to wonder if maybe there's something a bit lighter. I switched to whoopie slings lark's headed onto my continuous loop and marlin spiked to simple nylon tree straps. Shaved over a pound off my original weight, and gives me much more flexibility with where I hang.

If you don't plan to do long distance backpacking trips, you can get away with a set of $10 wally world ratchet straps, it's all a matter of taste and preference.
    -- Josh

"Courage, mon ami! Le Diable est mort!"

Hammock
    To many
    Tarp
    To many
    Insulation
    Incubator 20 + oth
    Suspension
    Buckles
    Images
    I do not like whoopies. I've made several sets, probably 8-10 sets but always had some problem with tree spacing, size etc. Found my personal nevona in straps & buckles. Least trouble & simple of everything I've tried. Daisy chains was to short or long so I didn't like them either. I motorcycle camp so weight is not an issue but, the strap, buckle & beaners are as light or lighter than the whoopies & straps you need for the trees. I love the KISS method.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    SLD Asym
    Insulation
    Jacks R Better
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I’ve tried a bunch of different systems. I really like whoopie slings larksheaded to tree straps, then I have a small Dutch hook that is permantly attached to the other end of the whoopie, the hook connects to my continuous loop of the hammock. It is crazy light, simple, plenty of room to adjust, etc. I like being able to go hook my straps up to trees, then just hook my hammock in and adjust, it has been my favorite compared to all the other systems I have used (nearly all of them).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast