Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    I have used whoopie slings but decided there was too much fiddle factor involved in using them, they limited where I could use them with some of the trees I have hung from and I have talked to people and or read reports of hangers who left their tree straps behind and did not discover it until they got to their next camp site. I use straps and Dutch clips and buckles... everything stays attached to my hammocks so I can not leave anything behind.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Images
    You don't need whoopie slings, and yes its just an extra connection. I think they are just popular for being popular.

It does give you room to fine tune the spacing but comes with a lot of asterisks:
    * Needs extra room to hang up. Not good for really tight spaces.
    * Hard/impossible to adjust one handed.
    * Hard to adjust after loaded with stuff.
    * Cold, dark, and raining and hammock needs an adjustment now? Hope you brought enough curse words!
    * Burry-milking.

Like others, I switched to tying the strap directly to a loop as well. I keep the whoopies around just in case i run into an extra long hang and need the extension.

you already bought them, go out and use them and tell us what you think. make up your own mind before absorbing others opinions, especially given you already have the piece of gear in question to try.

there are many options to hang a hammock, which is quite wonderful. after you try a few, it starts to become apparent what is most important for you.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair & WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG 12ft. Sil Poly
    Insulation
    SLD Trail Winder
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by nanok View Post
    you already bought them, go out and use them and tell us what you think. make up your own mind before absorbing others opinions, especially given you already have the piece of gear in question to try.

there are many options to hang a hammock, which is quite wonderful. after you try a few, it starts to become apparent what is most important for you.
    What he said.
    ~ Rerun

In 100 years it won't make any difference...

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I'll politely disagree with you here. It is a handy non-bulky suspension option and I do not see it as a fad. I just feel the need to defend and stand up for my chosen type of suspension that has served me well. Tying and knots are good to know but I find it harder to adjust to my final sweet spot. To each our own.
    Quote Originally Posted by leiavoia View Post
    You don't need whoopie slings, and yes its just an extra connection. I think they are just popular for being popular.

It does give you room to fine tune the spacing but comes with a lot of asterisks:
    * Needs extra room to hang up. Not good for really tight spaces. I have hung in tight spaces and used the continuous loop to hang off my toggle. In my opinion a handy option.
    * Hard/impossible to adjust one handed. [B]True but it can be hard to loosen a cinch buckle one-haded as well. Or tie and untie a strap. Or clip a daisy chain. or tie a Becket hitch one-handed.
    * Hard to adjust after loaded with stuff. Can be done. Just takes a bit of oomph or hook your arm arm around hammock to take off weight.
    * Cold, dark, and raining and hammock needs an adjustment now? Hope you brought enough curse words! Same could be said with tying a strap or becket hitch or most suspensions. We practice with our chosen suspension and get proficient with it hopefully.
    * Burry-milking. Not an issue...just rub your fingers down the bury. Takes less than half a second.

Like others, I switched to tying the strap directly to a loop as well. I keep the whoopies around just in case i run into an extra long hang and need the extension.
    Last edited by Shug; 07-17-2021 at 09:41.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Superfly/Minifly
    Insulation
    WB DB, LL Habanero
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I keep switching back and forth from whoopies to straps and back.

I recently got a pair of spider straps from Dutch and they might be my new go to favorite method. They’re definitely more bulk than whoopies but hardly weigh anything! I don’t have to worry about losing a toggle or hang distance or anything like that.

I’d say just keep trying methods until you get one you like. Suspension setups seem to be largely a personal preference, with pros and cons to each method.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Lots of choices~~~! All worth bothering with.
    Carry forth.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    And more to bother with~~

see what you've done now? you woke up shug, you don't speak like this of whoopie slings in His presence. i suspect soon there will be a rant video regarding "why whoopie slings _are_ worth bothering with". i'm looking forward to it.

i don't like and don't use whoopie slings myself, i think they are not the optimal solution for hammock suspension. i also think that you shouldn't care about what i or anyone else thinks in terms of preference (that is to say: if safety is not the question), and you should make up your own mind and then come here and piss off shug .

shug's right: there's many options, and they're all worth bothering with. "if you have to ask, then try it". there's no safety concern with whoopie slings if they are well made and used properly, everything else is personal preference. and entertainment (thank you shug)

WB El Do’
    I keep two CL larks-headed to my foot end. One is 8 inches, the other is about 15. These connect direct to the tree straps via becket.
    Whoopi on the head end to tree straps via MSH.
    Pretty easy to adjust the head end for a good lay. Every now then scenarios find me adjusting tree straps higher or lower, but not too big a deal.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast