Smile Brand New Warbonnet Gear Looking for First Time Overnight Hike Suggestions in New England

Hello everyone 1st post. Brand Spankin New Equipment: Warbonnet BB XLC, Wookie 20 under, and Diamondback 20 top, and minifly! Spent what seems like months doing research and hours of video to get to this point $$! Very happy to be complete with that stage. Next. I've never hammock camped before but simply know it'll all work out. I live in northwest CT and I'm looking for 2 day, 1 night hike suggestions in New England (less Maine for now....a little too far). At the moment I'm solo as my wife wants nothing to do with hiking or camping . Been searching for hikes on various forums, apps (alltrails, hikingproject) but leave every time frustrated because I don't know the areas or know if there are good areas to hammock camp on any given hike at the end of the day. New Hampshire Whites (God's country) has always been and was my inspiration for starting this sport. I'd be grateful if anyone can share one or more of your favorites. Any level would be fine with me. Thank you!

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Have you done a setup with all the gear? I mean, I get the urge to "get out there" but if you're new to hammocking (not sure, you only said never hammock camped) you might want to get the kinks worked out before tackling a hike (how far in?) and overnighter. I'd try car camping, or something where you can bail if you have an issue. The fun thing with hammocks is the fiddle factor of all the gear...but it's also a drawback if you've never done it before.

Quote Originally Posted by FLTurtle View Post
    Have you done a setup with all the gear? I mean, I get the urge to "get out there" but if you're new to hammocking (not sure, you only said never hammock camped) you might want to get the kinks worked out before tackling a hike (how far in?) and overnighter. I'd try car camping, or something where you can bail if you have an issue. The fun thing with hammocks is the fiddle factor of all the gear...but it's also a drawback if you've never done it before.
    Good advice. I'll be getting it setup in my backyard as soon as my minifly arrives . I've read so many threads and watched so many videos I feel like I've been hammock camping for my whole life lol.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Quick google search I found this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htDWKQr57u8

Quote Originally Posted by FLTurtle View Post
    Quick google search I found this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htDWKQr57u8
    Amazing thank you! I know exactly where that location is ......who knew? Video was made for me and a definite prospect.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    It's nice to have a few nearby primitive sites that you can do a quick overnighter without a whole lot of planning or logistics, especially if you're trying out new gear. There are a few near me, but the Florida summer is just uncomfortable at night...can't wait til fall.

Hopefully, that place has cell signal...if you run into set up issues just go to Youtube and look up Shug's newbie videos.

Let us know how it goes!

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    There is a major difference between watching videos and actually spending the night in a hammock. Find someplace like your backyard or a state park where you can bail just in case something happens ( and something will happen, it part of the learning curve ). The Terminator and I spent a week long road trip learning how to use our hammocks and gear when we started 10 years ago. We quickly learned we did not like pads and or inflatable mattress's.

If possible, find and attend a group hang in your area. You should find lots of experienced hangers willing to help and share their knowledge. At one hang I attended, about 75% of the hammocks being used were BlackBirds but every one was set up different so that was fun getting to see all the different possible ways to set up a hammock like mine.

Sounds like you got good gear, now you just have to learn how to use it and what works for you.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

• + New Posts