Hammock
    11' SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    BCUSA 10x12
    Insulation
    LocoLibre DWR Down
    Suspension
    Cin-Bkle Dyn-Str
    The bear spray is for cats also. I have been within spitting distance of a panther at night many years go. It was purchased for me as a birthday present from my wife who requires me to carry it even though I have other means available. I think that what she did was to buy it "for me" so that I can carry it and she can snuggle with it at night since she is about thirty feet away lol. It may get "accidentally" left at home this trip

I do have a large power bank. I bought it (used for $40) because I used to vape while at camp and my wife still does. It's good for keeping the PLB running and my phone charged while using Avenza maps (on airplane mode). When I am several states away and no signal the PLB messaging and "I'm Ok" feature keeps me in contact with her and keeps her from worrying about me due to my health issues.

Every ounce does count lol. When I was younger it was common to put in 15-27 miles before lunch each Friday with a 140lb pack (at 108°F) but now I'm old lol. I can take as long as I want to do the 80 miles and have a pack that will carry enough food but heck I don't want to lug a heavy pack for a week or two lol

Hammock
    11' Argon
    Tarp
    HG CF
    Insulation
    HG UQ - DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Kevlar Tree Straps
    I enjoyed your video. That is a beautiful trail for sure. Kudos to the Black Folks Camp Too group for giving you a water filter, that might have saved you some severe discomfort or worse. Hikers/hammockers are my kinda people!!

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Arrowhead
    Surrendering the water filter is whatcha do! Now it is up to you (and the rest of us) to pay it forward!!

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Layne View Post
    figuring that most water-borne pathogens take around a week to cause sickness. Hopefully, if I did get sick, I’d be finished up and back home before suffering the impact.
    Hardcore roll of the dice! But if you're gonna poo your pants, best to be back in the comfort of your home

Glad things worked out!

Hammock
    Simply Light Designs Trail Lair
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Insulation
    EE / UGQ / SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey Mouse View Post
    The bear spray is for cats also. I have been within spitting distance of a panther at night many years go. It was purchased for me as a birthday present from my wife who requires me to carry it even though I have other means available. I think that what she did was to buy it "for me" so that I can carry it and she can snuggle with it at night since she is about thirty feet away lol. It may get "accidentally" left at home this trip

I do have a large power bank. I bought it (used for $40) because I used to vape while at camp and my wife still does. It's good for keeping the PLB running and my phone charged while using Avenza maps (on airplane mode). When I am several states away and no signal the PLB messaging and "I'm Ok" feature keeps me in contact with her and keeps her from worrying about me due to my health issues.

Every ounce does count lol. When I was younger it was common to put in 15-27 miles before lunch each Friday with a 140lb pack (at 108°F) but now I'm old lol. I can take as long as I want to do the 80 miles and have a pack that will carry enough food but heck I don't want to lug a heavy pack for a week or two lol
    You don’t have to spend much time worrying about big cats in the Carolinas. Would be a shame for the spray to accidentally get left at home or in the car

Hammock
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Insulation
    EE / UGQ / SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Rifleman View Post
    I enjoyed your video. That is a beautiful trail for sure. Kudos to the Black Folks Camp Too group for giving you a water filter, that might have saved you some severe discomfort or worse. Hikers/hammockers are my kinda people!!
    Thanks Rifleman. Huge kudos to those fellows for sure. They certainly saved me a lot of stress at the very least. Everyone looks out for each other out there on the trail

Hammock
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Insulation
    EE / UGQ / SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by geronimo View Post
    Surrendering the water filter is whatcha do! Now it is up to you (and the rest of us) to pay it forward!!
    Yes sir geronimo you are correct. This one good deed from the Black Folks Camp Too can be multiplied many times over

Hammock
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Insulation
    EE / UGQ / SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    Hardcore roll of the dice! But if you're gonna poo your pants, best to be back in the comfort of your home

Glad things worked out!
    You and me both! Valuable lesson learned, check gear closely before setting out

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Grey Mouse, a cougar and easily clear 20 ft in a single jump. Think about that as you are repeating the mantra, “Nice kitty, nice kitty.” But as long as you don’t smell/act/taste like a deer you’ll probably be fine. As a guide once said, “If you spend some amount of time in the woods, you probably won’t see a cougar but you can be assured they have seen you (cue the hairs rising up on your arms).

However, it might be time to consider the, “I’d rather carry 80 lbs in my kayak than 40 lbs on my back." club. It’s really fun. You get to use all your hiking/camping skills, plus add more attention to weather/tide/current speed and direction. You do want to have a Plan B for a (preferably self-standing) shelter if you end up without trees. Below is from a camp at Ozette Lake. Note that though I joke about 15 ft tree straps in the PNW - they are no joke.

OzetteTree.jpg
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Insulation
    EE / UGQ / SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    Grey Mouse, a cougar and easily clear 20 ft in a single jump. Think about that as you are repeating the mantra, “Nice kitty, nice kitty.” But as long as you don’t smell/act/taste like a deer you’ll probably be fine. As a guide once said, “If you spend some amount of time in the woods, you probably won’t see a cougar but you can be assured they have seen you (cue the hairs rising up on your arms).

OzetteTree.jpg
    Very apropos username for this convo Paul!

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast