Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Insulation
    EE / UGQ / SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtbaghiker View Post
    I'm gonna watch this tonight.
    Apparently, its time for a Steripen!!! No more clogged filters, frozen filters , broken squeeze bags or slow pressure squeezes!!
    Hope you enjoyed! My buddy once used his Steripen for weeks without realizing the batteries had died. It's like the quote “Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots." - they can design the best water treatment methods possible but can't idiot proof everything (user not checking gear before setting off).

Hammock
    Simply Light Designs Trail Lair
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Insulation
    EE / UGQ / SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by u.willie View Post
    Nice video & thanks for taking the time, and sharing.

I agree with you, and others, in that you had a bit of a rough start - in regards to the filter & trekking poles. Super awesome of the Black Folks Camp Too group to give you of their filters. For sure I, or any of us, would've done exactly the same thing, for them, or anyone else in such a situation. That's one of the very many things I love about being on trail: So many amazing, awesome people. Your encounter is another example of that.

The FHT is definitely a fantastic trail. I did the same as you when I hiked it back in 2016, going from Oconee to Table Rock S.P. It was nice having all the views at the end of the hike. I did it in Oct, so had the fall leaf colors too, which was amazing.

I carry a small eye dropper bottle of bleach when I hike, as a backup to my filter. Sometimes I just use the bleach over the filter, as it's a bit more convenient and quicker, if I'm just filling up and continuing on - not needing to drink right then.
    I haven't (knock on wood) forgot a filter, or had one clog on me as of yet; but I have hiked with folks who have, and that eye dropper of bleach was a life saver.
    Super inexpensive, super effective, super compact, pretty temperature tolerant, no batteries, and obviously WAY lighter than any type of battery powered UV light water purifier item.
    Just an option that I've found works very well for me. Your and others "mileage"/thoughts/opinions may vary of course,

- willin'
    Thanks willin'. I bet Oct would be about the perfect time to hike the FHT. Good weather and fall colors.

My Dad gave me a bottle of aqua tabs to have as a backup on future trips. I think my best course of action will be to do a better job checking my critical gear before hitting the trail.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG DCF
    Insulation
    HG premium down
    Images
    Just curious how he did not see it had dead battery? The Ultra that I use lights up my entire water bottle, even in the blazing sunlight. .. maybe different or older models don't do that?

Hammock
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Insulation
    EE / UGQ / SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtbaghiker View Post
    Just curious how he did not see it had dead battery? The Ultra that I use lights up my entire water bottle, even in the blazing sunlight. .. maybe different or older models don't do that?
    I'm not sure of the exact circumstances, I heard about it after the fact. I think he just didn't pay any attention. It was several years ago so probably was an older or different model.

Hammock
    Various DIY; Fronkey Bugnet
    Tarp
    DIY/Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY/Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Dyneema/Evo Loops
    Nice job with the video and what turned out to be a great trip. I just recently retired and plan to do it hopefully in the next year.
    For others interested in the FHT, I ran across this which might help with pre-trip planning. Someone put a lot of work into this.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...974429167&z=15
    Bill

Hammock
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Insulation
    EE / UGQ / SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Wkerber View Post
    Nice job with the video and what turned out to be a great trip. I just recently retired and plan to do it hopefully in the next year.
    For others interested in the FHT, I ran across this which might help with pre-trip planning. Someone put a lot of work into this.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...974429167&z=15
    Thanks for sharing that resource Bill, looks great.

Congrats on retirement and good luck on your FHT hike! Feel free to reach out if you have any questions while planning.

Hammock
    11' SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    BCUSA 10x12
    Insulation
    LocoLibre DWR Down
    Suspension
    Cin-Bkle Dyn-Str
    Don't feel bad about the filter. I made the same mistake on a Linville Gorge hike back in 2019. I have since learned lol. Are bear canisters required anywhere along the foothills trail. I noticed on their website that they have bear hangers at some of the campsites. I am in the early stages of planning a similar hike thanks to your video.

Hammock
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Insulation
    EE / UGQ / SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey Mouse View Post
    Don't feel bad about the filter. I made the same mistake on a Linville Gorge hike back in 2019. I have since learned lol. Are bear canisters required anywhere along the foothills trail. I noticed on their website that they have bear hangers at some of the campsites. I am in the early stages of planning a similar hike thanks to your video.
    Canisters are not required anywhere on trail but you’ll need some sort of bear food protection. I used an Ursack which is my go-to in black bear country. Hanging would work as well. Here is my gear list for the trip if that helps you with your planning: https://lighterpack.com/r/5g1ob2

Definitely also check out the resource that Wkerber shared above for trail/waypoint info.

Good luck, it’s a great hike!

Hammock
    11' SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    BCUSA 10x12
    Insulation
    LocoLibre DWR Down
    Suspension
    Cin-Bkle Dyn-Str
    I have an Ursack Major XL with liner that I like a lot. I also use a Zpacks bear bag hanging kit often. I haven't carried the BV450 in a few years lol.

Thanks for the load out list. I was thinking of copying mine from my last 17.4 mile hike in the Linville Gorge on this trip. I may tweak it some to drop another 2.5 lbs. https://www.geargrams.com/list?id=54062 It's labeled as "Ultralite" as it is my slow progression to a lighter load. I know that it's not sub ten pounds yet lol.

Hammock
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Insulation
    EE / UGQ / SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey Mouse View Post
    I have an Ursack Major XL with liner that I like a lot. I also use a Zpacks bear bag hanging kit often. I haven't carried the BV450 in a few years lol.

Thanks for the load out list. I was thinking of copying mine from my last 17.4 mile hike in the Linville Gorge on this trip. I may tweak it some to drop another 2.5 lbs. https://www.geargrams.com/list?id=54062 It's labeled as "Ultralite" as it is my slow progression to a lighter load. I know that it's not sub ten pounds yet lol.
    I’m packing up this morning to head into the Winds for 6 days, I can look more in depth when I get back. To me ultralight is a mindset not a strict <10 lbs base weight, but I know there are a lot of pedants out there.

I do briefly see that you have bear spray which wouldn’t be needed, as well as a massive power bank. Are you running a generator out there? Haha. Even with my filming/charging camera batteries a 10k power bank suffices on extended trips. YMMV but that could be another area to save weight. Every oz counts when you’re putting your body thru ~80 miles.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast