Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Double layer vs two single layer

I have searched and found nothing (and this may be daft) but… how different is a double layer hammock in use compared to two identically sized hammocks hung from the same suspension?

Particularly if the top has a little bit more stretch in the material it seems like this could function similarly but have the versatility of being able to have two hammocks when desired.

While not quite the same as your proposal, there was a thread some time ago over in the 2QZQ forum about using an underquilt protector in a similar way. I believe at one time they offered two different versions of their UQP, one with heavier shock cord to accommodate holding a pad in place, which is what I assume you're talking about doing. So while the idea isn't completely daft, you could accomplish much the same thing using an underquilt protector instead of hanging a separate hammock.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MutterMumble View Post
    I have searched and found nothing (and this may be daft) but… how different is a double layer hammock in use compared to two identically sized hammocks hung from the same suspension?

Particularly if the top has a little bit more stretch in the material it seems like this could function similarly but have the versatility of being able to have two hammocks when desired.
    I'd say try it and let us know how this works our for you. In my opinion that's a lot of material to keep organized and gathered end hammocks are a pain to keep everything in alignment to begin with.

A similar idea, certainly but I was wondering about how it would work with two identical hammocks with no special considerations or adjustments.

I’m looking at dutchware’s netless hammock offering. If I get an 11ft cloud 71 as an ultralight option and another in hexon then pair them by attaching their continuous loops to the same carabiner - will they be as effective as a double layer hammock of the same materials?

My thought process is that the cost is not too different but the options provided are far greater.

You can choose which hammock to use by itself.
    You can use both together with a pad
    If I get an underquilt at a later point I can use a single with an warmer-rated underquilt or both with a pad and underquilt for colder temps.

I wouldn’t need to buy two different weight single layer hammocks (for different purposes) and also a double layer for sleeping with the pad.
    Etc etc

If it is roughly equally effective for keeping a pad from moving, it seems like it is a more versatile setup. If it is dramatically different in real use then I’d prefer to know before spending the money and just get the double layer from the start and deal with the extra weight every time.

Op,
    Are you assuming a channel or a whip suspension? I suppose if you whip the two hammocks together, it would essentially be the same as a double layer, just very hard to keep the two layers nice and tidy. The edges of double layer hammocks are sewn together to keep them in place, the plans I have seen leave half the edge open to slip in pad.

I don't think it will work the same if you are using two separate channel suspensions though. The main purpose of double layer is fabric stretch and pad movement. Both of these purposes will be compromised unless the two pieces of fabrics of somehow attached. Maybe try with some fabric tape.

Sent from my PACM00 using Tapatalk

For what i was picturing it wouldn't matter if they were whipped or channel suspension. I wouldn't be whipping them together, just one hammock sitting inside the other.

Just working with the dutchgear netless as an option it looks like its' $35 for a second layer vs ~$60 for a second hammock. So for $25 extra you've added a lot of options at the expense of having the two layers line up perfectly. (Maybe)

If your only purpose is to keep the pad in place, you should be able to get away with that. It will be a lot more finicky than one hammock to deal with.

Sent from my PACM00 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    Over in the Cloud .71 I relate my experience and reasoning with taking a Chameleon Hex 1.0 and doing what you are talking about with a Chameleon Cloud.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ight=Cloud+.71 On page 15.

Quote Originally Posted by OlTrailDog View Post
    Over in the Cloud .71 I relate my experience and reasoning with taking a Chameleon Hex 1.0 and doing what you are talking about with a Chameleon Cloud.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ight=Cloud+.71 On page 15.
    Thanks for taking the time to link it. I’ve had a read and it sounds like it works fine? I’m having a little trouble picturing the setup based on your description though. Could you take another run at explaining?

Does it work as well as a DL for keeping the pad in place?

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    I just stuck the second hammock inside the first, loosened up the gather on the outside hammock so that I could push the inside hammock CL through the gather. Since they are the same make hammock the inside hammock and outside hammock CLs matched up. In order to keep the inside hammock from flopping down on me I used some light shock, aka elastic, cord to tie the hardware for the tie outs and quilt hooks together. This works since they are the same hammock the hardware is in the same location.

I don't think it would work as well as a DL because the DL is sewn to the inner layer along the edge and would be a closer fit. Whereas, the doubled hammocks would be a looser fit. But it would work, just not as snug or clean a fit.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast