Tarp
    C Gorilla Fortres2
    Insulation
    Down Under | Upper
    Suspension
    1/8 Amsteel Whoopy
    Images

Fellow Hammockers in AZ - who know how to sew - I need you

Who is out there that can lend me a hand and teach me some basics using a sewing machine?

I have piles of sewing to get done before this Fall's hang and what I've found so far in Tucson are sewing shops that charge for training. I mean where are the seamstresses who have sewing parties anyways???

On a more serious note, it would be great to learn the basics and get to know some fellow hammockers - right?!?

I'm willing to travel or maybe there are peeps here in the Tucson area?

Paul

Hammock
    Dutch Netless 11'
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin 20*
    Suspension
    All the Dutchware!
    I like the idea of DIY hammocker get togethers to learn sewing tips and tricks. I am a YouTube U student and learned a ton from watching videos, especially those by a few members here. Jellyfish has some great YT tutorials on sewing gear. I am still mediocre at sewing, but I understand how my machine works and how to adjust it. The rest is just practice.
    Just about everyone is familiar with video conferencing of one type or another. Maybe a virtual sewing tutorial session could work if you don't have anyone local?

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY (Olive Oyl)
    Insulation
    [allergic to down]
    Images
    Here's the link to Jellyfish's vids -- see especially those under "DIY Sewing Basics"

She also has great instructions on how to sew the especially thin slippery fabrics that we use for our gear, so once you've gotten enough practice using regular fabrics, watch her other DIY sewing vids for tips on our special fabrics. If you try to learn to sew using thin nylon you may become discouraged quickly. So practice a lot on normal fabrics first!

I've also seen (though I have no links) "how to sew" videos on utoob by guys that go into so much detail that at first I laughed. Then I realized that a lot of guys have never even looked at a sewing machine, so they need that detail. If you look for some videos like that, it may help you out.

(Those vids reminded me of a cooking show my brother once dreamed up where he would teach guys how to cook by starting out explaining how to boil water...I guess he knew people who had that level of familiarity with the kitchen...)

• + New Posts