Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG DCF
    Insulation
    HG premium down
    Images

The DEVILS PATH Thruhike

Just completed the 24 mile thruhike of the Notorious, Brutal Devils Path in the Catskills NY. This is one rugged tough hike. It is approximately 24 miles long with about 9000 feet of elevation gain! Yes.. up down up down up down up up up down down down!!

“Frequently called the most dangerous and toughest hike in the East, most hikers tackle this trail east to west in order to go up the steepest parts. You’ll bag five Catskills 3500′ peaks along the way: Indian Head Mountain, Twin Mountain, Sugarloaf Mountain, Plateau Mountain, and West Kill Mountain. Plenty of viewpoints will reward your efforts.”

This trail is no joke! We completed it over 2 days, 1 night. Day 1 we trudged a total of 12 hours ( lunch and dinner break included ) and made camp at 8:30, just as the sun set. We camped off a spur trail, just below 3500 ft, on Southwest Hunter Mountain. It was not a fancy camp site, no matter. I was so tired and beat down we just hung our hammocks, made a quick fire for about 15 minutes (everything was sopping wet ), and quickly passed out for the entire night. It has rained in this area for last 2 weeks.. some very heavy rains, so as you can see in video, we were hiking in thick mud and thru streams of water. Diamond Notch waterfalls were gushing pretty strong also and it was nice to take a short break there before our trudge up West Kill mountain. This trail is definitely a mental and physical challenge. I would recommend it to anyone looking for a little punishment and reward, lol. The video does no justice for the hard work put in. I could not film 90% of the time because I was cying, cussing and begging for it to end!! We completed it though, and that is something both of us will cherish for time to come.. bring on the next challenge!

Thanks for sharing that video. I grew up in Marlboro NY and I sure do miss the Catskills! The views really are spectacular!

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Congrats on doing that hike with your son! Super tough hike with some very tricky scrambles.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair, Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG, Zpacks, DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre, HG
    Suspension
    MyersTech
    Images
    Looks like a tough, wet hike. Great mountaintop views & the shots of Diamond Notch Falls were nice.

Thanks for posting.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG DCF
    Insulation
    HG premium down
    Images
    Thank you, Thank-you and thank you!! Great views for sure. Brutal hiking and very wet, slick conditions.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG DCF
    Insulation
    HG premium down
    Images

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear
    Insulation
    LLG,WB
    Suspension
    Beckett Hitch
    Images
    That looks like a tough, but fun trail. Enjoyed the video and the views. Did you go tarp-less on this trip?

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG DCF
    Insulation
    HG premium down
    Images
    @ smkymtns.. Thanks so much! We had our tarps, in snake skins but decided to not even hang them. The weather report said 2% chance of rain. Now, in the Catskills, that can change over half an hour, and it could SNOW!!! However, we were both so tired and figured we take the chance.. Worst thing to happen we would have to wake in middle of night and hang the tarps. Wouldn't be the first time that's happened! I do not really ever use the tarp unless it is snowing, raining, or very windy... Sometimes if its extremely cold and slight breeze too.. Otherwise I go tarpless.

• + New Posts