Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

It can only get better from here...

My kids (ages 15-20) and I are going to give hammock camping a go at the end of this month. We have a nice site in Northern Wisconsin we have tent-camped many times. We have had hammocks hanging in our yard for leisure for a few years. Typical gathered parachute style from a few sources. We understand the concept of getting the right hang and laying angle. I have read "The Ultimate Hang 2" and want to take this from backyard hanging to the next level. So I ordered an inexpensive bug net and rain fly from Amazon/Foxelli and an additional double hammock from Amazon/Wise Owl to test out before I commit to 3 more setups for the kids.
    Things didn't do so well on my test run this weekend. I setup the rainfly to make sure it would work (but then took it down because it was a 0% chance of rain). Setup the bug net over the hammock and just used the structural ridgeline I setup to keep it up. Tried it a few times and everything seemed great. Then came time to actually climb in and settle in for the night. One part of my brain said "get in the hammock first, then have someone hand me my stuff (blanket, pillow, water bottle and such)." The other side of my brain said "just hold your stuff in one hand, grab the front of the hammock with the other and go for it - you got this!" Guess which side won? So I went to grab the front flap of the hammock with one hand, and all my stuff in the other, but I didn't realize I had the back flap, and as I sat down, I missed the hammock completely and landed on the ground. Of course I tore through the bug net on the way down as well. It was quite the tangle-up sight. I would have laughed if I had not been so mad I just destroyed the bug net and a little more of my dignity. Ugh.
    Lesson #1 - Put you stuff in first, or get someone to help you get in.
    I was ready to throw in the towel, but decide the bug net wasn't too bad, it wasn't that buggy out, and I could make it work. So on the second try, with help this time, I got in and just bunched up the net where the giant butt-sized opening was. It worked fine. I got settled in. Popped back out to make some adjustments to the ridge line and hanging, but then settled in. Lesson #2 was learned about 4 hours later. I understand the point of an under quilt or a closed foam pad or whatever to serve as underside insulation. But wasn't sure if a low of 60F with no wind, would warrant it or not, so I thought I would test it out. Boy was I wrong. Despite a very warm blanket on top, I woke up pretty cold on the bottom and overall. I tried wrapping the blanket around me, but it would not suffice. So I got up and went in the house for the rest of the night.
    Lesson #2 - Don't underestimate cooler summer overnight temps and the lack of bottom insulation.
    After the above lessons and a bad night's sleep, I was discouraged and beginning to question whether or not to continue with our quest to do this for 3 nights in a row later this month. So lesson #3 is a bit of a work in progress. Although it seems to be the story of my life whenever I try something new.
    Lesson #3 - Learn from my mistakes, make adjustments and don't be afraid to try again.
    By the way, I am new to the forums and this is my first post. I am looking forward to reading about the adventures of others in this forum and get re-ignited about our upcoming trip, and hopefully many more!

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    You got it~~~~The Hammock Learning Curve strikes again!
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Winterdream 12
    Insulation
    HG 0 UQ / 20 TQ
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas Straps
    Images
    Hey man, that sounds like a pretty great test! You learned a lot about what not to do. Much better now than in the woods when you don't have your house for retreat. It's definitely a learning experience. In fact, I need to get out for another quickie hang to get in some more practice...

Hammock
    HG
    Tarp
    HG
    Insulation
    HG/AGGTQ SLDUQ/UQP
    Suspension
    Dutch Spiderwhoopi
    CBS is real.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair(s)
    Tarp
    SLD & Mtn. Fly
    Insulation
    HG 0,20,40 UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & webbing
    Hang in there, you got this! You have 90%… just need the last 10% and you’ll be comfortable.
    The deep mystery gives rise to the spirits -Charc

Always strive to be the best but never believe you are - Juan Manuel Fangio

Hammock
    WBBB XLC; WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ Mamba TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Welcome to HF and the big dose of backyard experience you handed to yourself - just in time to get things right for your outing. Let us know how it goes.
    The game is the best teacher.

Thanks Shug and everyone else for the info and encouragement. Before I packed it all up today I tried the hang method you recommended with the foot side higher and closer to the tree. It does seem counterintuitive, but it made a huge difference! I am a big guy (Height - 6'1", Weight - VW Beetle) and that little adjustment made the hammock much more comfortable. Thanks for the little shove down the learning curve toward that sweet spot!

Hammock
    ENO
    Tarp
    ENO
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    ENO
    I absolutely love @shug ‘s videos. Thanks for putting them together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG DCF std w/doors
    Insulation
    WM TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    "Don't give up" is usually what you have to tell a lot of new hammock campers! Glad to see you've come to that conclusion on your own. As Yoda says, "Failure, the best teacher is!"

Shug's learning curve video is totally "on point" for getting the right mindset about it. I believe there are at least three things people need to get good at something new like hammock camping: a new Skillset, Toolset, and Mindset. You've already got the Mindset, now just continue adding gear to your Toolset and skills you learn to your Skillset. Don't be afraid to use the forums to search for answers to your questions but if you don't find the answer you need, post it. We all were where you are at some point, and part of the awesome nature of this forum is that you can get advice and input from folks who have been through what you're going through, no matter the experience level.
    Iceman857

"An optimist is a man who plants two acorns and buys a hammock" - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny (French Army General in WWII)

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG 20 Econ Phoenix
    Suspension
    Fiddling...
    So fun to get out with the kids! Let us know how it goes.

Charlotte

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast