WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Wooki, UGQ
    Suspension
    Becket straps
    Images

Greetings from Oregon

Hi to all,

I am new to hammock camping but not new to backpacking and not super new to hammocks. I ran in to my first ‘real’ hammock on a screened porch on the John Day River about 10-15years ago. And learned to love the diagonal lay. After a few years I finally found a good quality South American cotton hammock and had many a nap in said hammock.

Time passes and through a series of events and observations I got more interested in camping with hammocks. Which has brought me here.

I had a few issues with registration though lurked for a while and finally decided on the WB Blackbird XLC. It was down to a few but based on a lot of posts (here and other places), I figured it could not be that ‘wrong’ of a choice. One of the other runners was Hennessy and I have actually ended up with one of those as well once I started paying attention to the local used market. Though it is the standard length and I am 6’2” so it is a little tight but I can appreciate the lay option (and I have other, smaller people frequently associated to me so it was a good buy).

But yeah. I am likely to have tons of questions. I will try to search for past discussions that covered the same thing but will likely ask the same old question more than a few times.

Gave up for now on the becket straps I bought with the hammock. Knots slipped easily unless you really tighten. Or put a twig in the loop. Though neither breeds confidence for a newb. So I switched to the ENO system until I get fed up with the weight. And extra light weight web is always welcome.

Also have started with synthetic UQs. I want the Wooki but have known a person that had a bad experience with down and stay with synthetics in general. Though there is the obvious volume tradeoff that factors in to pack size that is a weight tradeoff. There are few perfect answers.

And hi to all again. My partner will be happy I may have found other people to annoy with my excitement over moving to hammocks. But at 51 if I stopped sleeping on the ground that would be OK with me.

That was an overly long introduction...
    Last edited by Sean McC; 07-13-2021 at 17:46.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Enjoy the hammock quest and be aware of the hammock learning curve. Tons of info scattered all over this site.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Dutchware Netless
    Tarp
    HG DCF W Palace
    Insulation
    Quilt + Underquilt
    Suspension
    Spider Web+ C Loop
    I started with a BB XLC and used the Whoopie slings for quite a while, they are totally idiot proof and I never had any issue with them (I'm pretty light though, at only 140 pounds, but I suspect their weight limit is WELL above that). I've just converted to the Becket Hitch + continuous loops this year, and I have to say I'm a fan, but it does take some practice and getting used to. In the meantime, definitely go with what makes you feel the most secure/comfortable! I hope you like your transition to the hammock world, I know it was a total revelation for me and has easily doubled the number of trips I take due to how much more comfortable I am/how much better I sleep.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Hvn
    Insulation
    Apex/Down
    Suspension
    Birch/Beetle buckl
    If you like the Wookie concept (asymmetrical insulation), but want synthetic, I’d put in a plug for the Simply Light Designs Trail Winder. It’s built on an underquilt protector with a layer of synthetic insulation and covering added to it. He also does a symmetrical version, for those of us who move too much at night. Weight is pretty reasonable (if not quite at down levels), and temperature ratings are based on comfort, rather than survival. Also, Jared is the fastest manufacturer I know — the last thing I bought from him was to my house in less than a week.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WBBB XLC UL DL
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Wooki, UGQ
    Suspension
    Becket straps
    Images
    I watched the learning curve video the other day (nice editing btw) and definitely feeling it already. Two trips down and still tweaking stuff. I did hang the hammock probably ten times in the yard before setting out. So the long slow ride to the ground with the slipping knot was only in my 'yard' (I live on about 100 acres so what is yard and what is field gets a little blurry at times).

Second trip was a good test. Dumped rain all night. I stayed warm and dry. The hike out, not so much as even though the rain had let off I had bushwhacked a ways through chest deep ferns. I knew when I started off there was no way I was going to stay dry. By the time I got back to my truck I was fully saturated.

I have nor heard of simply light but looking at it now. Might be outside my skill range for now. Sort of like the Dream hammocks. I don't know enough yet to know what I want to be able to order from a menu like that. Though I do sort of wish I had gotten a heavier BB. I am not a small guy. Not obese by any means. But I grew up on a farm (though work in high tech). Rowed crew at a national level in college and still hit the weights on occasion (keep the core string and the core will take care of you). So a few pounds here or there are not going to break me. My kids still make fun of me for the time I packed in a watermelon. Though I guess that is better than the time some friends and I packed a pony keg into the wilderness for a bachelor party of sorts.

So many options out there.

• + New Posts