Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I Could Use Some Guidance

Hello. I just got all my stuff. I'm new at the hammock thing. I'll be going away in a few weeks and using my new set up, all excited about it, you can imagine. I've never done this before. I've watched some videos a few months back and I'll be watching again now that everything is in. Is there anyone who would be willing to meet up with me at a park to help me get myself going right? I'm in the Harrisburg Pa area. I'll figure it out if I have no other way, but to have someone there, I would consider it a great privilege. I'd be happy to throw you a box o' beer or such for your time. Thank you

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Yes...there is some learning to do. Worth it to get a good hang that leads to good snooze~~~
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Thanks I appreciate it. I’m hoping someone will be willing to spend a little in person time. Guess I’m weird buddy I learn easier that way and I don’t have to worry about internet access or constantly stopping to check a video. It’s to answer any questions during or after set up, laying in it, whatnot.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PureSpirit View Post
    Thanks I appreciate it. I’m hoping someone will be willing to spend a little in person time. Guess I’m weird buddy I learn easier that way and I don’t have to worry about internet access or constantly stopping to check a video. It’s to answer any questions during or after set up, laying in it, whatnot.
    Another option is this....https://theultimatehang.com
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Minifly
    Insulation
    JRB + EETQ
    Suspension
    Beckett Hitch
    There was a thread in the trip planning subforum about a hang in PA that unfortunately already happened a week or so ago, but you might still post in that thread to find some hangers local to you who'd be willing to show you the ropes (pun intended).

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...-9-7-11-(2021)

Wouldn't hurt to ask about regularly scheduled hangs in your area too. Seems like most areas have one every 3-6 months.
    -- Josh

"Courage, mon ami! Le Diable est mort!"

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 MTN XL GE
    Tarp
    DIY .9 Silpoly Hex
    Insulation
    Various Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps (J-Bend)
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jb_outdoors View Post
    There was a thread in the trip planning subforum about a hang in PA that unfortunately already happened a week or so ago, but you might still post in that thread to find some hangers local to you who'd be willing to show you the ropes (pun intended).

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...-9-7-11-(2021)

Wouldn't hurt to ask about regularly scheduled hangs in your area too. Seems like most areas have one every 3-6 months.
    I agree that attending a hammock hang is probably one of the best ways to get one-on-one advice, see all kinds of options, and meet a bunch of fun, experienced hangers. There are several hangs in PA each year. As Josh mentions, you just missed MidHHA (happened this past weekend). But MAHHA is coming up this fall and would be closer to you anyway. MAHHA is also one of the largest hangs on the east coast. Here's the placeholder link for the next event coming up in early October:
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...-SAVE-the-DATE

There may be other hangs happening sooner if you are willing to travel. Folks will generally post their upcoming events in the regional subforums:
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...-Trip-Planning
    ~ All I want is affordable, simple, ultralight luxury. That’s not asking too much is it?

Thank you Gentlemen

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    JRB Greylock 3
    Suspension
    UCR/Spider Straps
    FWIW - Shug’s videos are super helpful as are many of the posts on this forum concerning general rules like hang angles and suspension choices. I am new to this too and learned a lot by experimenting in my back yard. Also had local forum members offer me great advice via PMs and invitations to hangs. While it’s always easier to see things first hand from those more experienced, don’t be afraid to just get out there and experiment. Nothing like spending a couple of nights on the trail tweaking gear and finding out what works for you or needs improvement.

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 MTN XL GE
    Tarp
    DIY .9 Silpoly Hex
    Insulation
    Various Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps (J-Bend)
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Twistytee View Post
    ... don’t be afraid to just get out there and experiment. Nothing like spending a couple of nights on the trail tweaking gear and finding out what works for you or needs improvement.
    Yes! Go! Do! Try! Fail! Enjoy! I've been hanging for years and pretty much have my preferences dialed in. But there's no lack of creativity freely shared here on the forums and at the group hangs. I regularly discover some new technique or piece of equipment to try and either discard or incorporate into my bag of tricks. For me, the "figuring things out" is half the fun!
    ~ All I want is affordable, simple, ultralight luxury. That’s not asking too much is it?

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Unfortunately, it's hot as heck right now - not a lot of people going out during this kind of weather. I keep trying to get motivated to go out, but I'm probably waiting till late September.
    Last edited by SilvrSurfr; 07-13-2021 at 02:03.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast