Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Decathlon Quechua vs NatureHike Double?

Hey everyone 🙂

I'm in the market for a double hammock, and found these two which are reasonably priced. Which do you think would be the better purchase?

Decathlon Quechua

or

NatureHike double

Or would you recommend something else entirely?

ps, My main concern with the Quechua is the durability (may be wrong on that?) and that it seems quite large when packed?

Hammock
    Little Shop of Hammocks
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle
    I can't speak specifically about the hammock from Decathlon, but I have been pleasantly surprised with everything else I have purchased from Decathlon - their quality (and durability) is amazing considering their lower prices (they should hire me to write their ad copy!!).

Those both appear to be short. Under 10 feet long. If you're not a short person, then you'll probably want to read up on length recommendations for your height.
    Also, the two-tone color construction of the naturehike will give you a seam line that might not be in a comfortable place.
    Finally, neither of those seem to have tree-friendly straps. Expect to pay more for adding straps, possibly a structural ridgeline, etc. These might not be a good value in the end.

I have the Quechua. When I bought mine (5 years ago) it came with thick webbing straps to go around the trees. They’re not in the images on the site though so I don’t know if they’re still included. Adjustment via the ropes in the pictures. (Like a super low tech daisy chain - it’s a rope that is halved and then has overhand knots tied in it every foot or so).

As mentioned - it is shorter than most here would recommend for sleeping but otherwise it does the job.

I got mine because it was the only one I could actually walk into a store and buy at the time.

Edit: just remembered another thing that distinguishes the Quechua - the storage bag works like a bishop bag so you can hang one end and then spool out the hammock to hang the other end. If you add a ridgeline it also has loops that could go over a ridgeline. (Again, going by the version 5 years ago)
    Last edited by MutterMumble; 07-09-2021 at 10:08.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    As a daisy chain user, I’ll tell you that a foot step/distance between loops is HUGE. Most chains have steps in the order of 5 to 6 inches, some have 3 inch steps. I add an Amsteel loop to my kit that I can fold and add to make a “half-step”. Though Daisy Chain usually works, and is way simple, I’ve considered going back to continuously adjustable webbing. If the hammock was a SRL, it’s easy to adjust the webbing so the ridgeline is just snug enough.

Some people say, the quality of one thing represents the over all quality of the set. So if the suspension is just overhand knots tied in a doubled line, with 1 ft adjustment increments …..
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

I’ve just taken it out to have a look. They’re probably more like 8 inches apart on mine but in the images on the product page they look like they’re multiple feet apart. As they’re just knots it would be trivial to add more, move them, adjust as desired…. Seems like that’s what I must’ve done!

It’s certainly not an ideal system but it does have plenty of flexibility and it is simple. Some advantages: You don’t have to worry that your cheap daisy chain’s stitching is going to pop and drop you to the floor, in a pinch you can untie it and double the length available.

This is a “cheap” hammock from a massive retail chain store. I’m not going to defend it or champion it but it’s a solid product for its intended market. It isn’t going to compare favourably to any of the cottage vendors.

I’ve made some frankly inadvisable modifications to mine to let me get a flat lay. The rope in the sewn channels is not actually a continuous loop, it’s tied. I untied that, opened up the hammock body, becket hitched the “daisy chain” ropes to two diagonally opposite corners of the fabric directly and I can lay on the other diagonal. Small knot to pick up the excess material at the corners by my head and feet. Surprisingly effective (but as I said… probably inadvisable).

Edit: the .com version of the site has more product photos that show the different straps etc. https://www.decathlon.com/products/h...t=884655685645
    Last edited by MutterMumble; 07-10-2021 at 10:16.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    The 280cm (~9ft) length of the Quechua is very short but the 175cm (~69in) width is quite wide, which might result in a fairy flat diagonal lay depending on user height. Bottom insulation could be tricky.

950g (33.5oz) weight and 5.2L volume are very heavy/large for backpacking but maybe okay for other things.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    guilt4eva, I see your question was your first post - Welcome to the forum. Given that it was your first post, why do you want a “double” hammock? Are you just interested in the extra width for yourself? Because sometimes marketing departments show two people in one hammock and portray them as comfortable. I won’t go on about that because you may absolutely want a hammock in the dimensions of your candidates - for just yourself. If you are thinking “double hammock” means two people in the hammock, we should talk more.
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 07-10-2021 at 17:53.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Town's End Bridge or WBRR
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Ridge Creek
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I just received a "Starter" from SLD that comes with an adjustable ridgeline and suspension for under $60 (a 2nds) that, IMO, is light years ahead of any mass production hammock.

You can even get 12' if you want for no extra charge.
    "It turns out that what you have is less important than what you do with it"

Haven't tried either of the ones linked, but looks similar to in design and size.

https://ripstopbytheroll.com/product...mmock-highland

I think the Appalachian hammock will have much better fabric based on my experience with them comparing to chinese made hammocks.

Sent from my PACM00 using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast