Hammock
    Hummingbird Single+
    Tarp
    Hummingbird Pelica
    Insulation
    HG 850 20* TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Hummingbird WHOOPI
    What about hummingbird's ultralight whoopie straps? How do these compare in long lasting strength?

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by taraH View Post
    What about hummingbird's ultralight whoopie straps? How do these compare in long lasting strength?
    If you mean these, there's nothing wrong with them if you like the method of attaching to hammock, which they don't really show, and can live with the 8' length of each one, which might be problematic in some areas with large trees. Also, Dyneema straps tend to bunch up in very short order and handle more like cord than webbing.

It seems to me that using separate webbing for the tree and a MSH+toggle, with whoopie attached to hammock, might be more flexible and easier to deploy. BUT I haven't used, or even seen, these Hummingbird straps/whoopies so I can't comment more on them.

As it sometimes happens, absolute lightest weight and least volume are not necessarily the primary concerns.
    Last edited by cmoulder; 09-21-2021 at 13:48.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    EE Rev 20, JRB MW3
    Suspension
    Becket, J-bend
    To tie up loose ends, I thought I'd post back here.

I didn't end up managing to make a 500 mile trek work out, but I did do a shorter trip of 5 days through the White Mountains. My trip report is here.

Many thanks to everyone in this thread for your suggestions and advice. You helped me go from "novice hammocker with a $25 hammock" to "fully equipped and completed a major backpacking trip" in under 3 months!
    Last edited by schwad; 10-01-2021 at 11:03.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Mega kudos... no small feat to backpack one of the toughest regions in the NE starting from scratch!
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Warbonnet, Eldorado, Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB thunderfly, etc
    Insulation
    WB Wookie
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings etc
    I no longer can do any distance hiking but over the years I have found that I'd do almost anything to avoid shelters. Snoring, listening to people who I don't want to hear have their vapid conversations and the hard surfaces. It was always too social for my tastes, where really what I got out to nature to find solitude. I did hike a lot when I was young, but even more I canoed for on multi-week trips (that was heaven) and also bicycled on my unplanned impromptu trips. I hate planning as much as not being able to snore because of someone's bad apnea, I think.

The greatest reason for a Hammock is the ability (on the east coast esp ) to sleep almost anywhere easily and fairly comfortably.

Kingdom of the Netherlands, Noord-Brabant
    Hammock
    DD Hammocks Superlight range
    Tarp
    DD Superlight
    Insulation
    underblanket
    Suspension
    whoopie slings?
    I wish it would be legal here to just walk in the forest, find a tree or 2 that are at a suitable distance and sleep there for the night... but you got to be out of the forest by sunset and aren't allowed to camp in the forests, only on campings and such.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123