Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    EE Rev 20, JRB MW3
    Suspension
    Becket, J-bend
    Quote Originally Posted by Recalc View Post
    Once tweaked, the UQ was warmer and had an unintended benefit; setup was faster.
    That's a great point. For me, deflation is worse than inflation. It's time-consuming to neatly roll up an inflatable pad, and hard to do without a flat surface.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by schwad View Post
    Great info, I had no idea. I couldn't find any Kevlar available. I found that Jeff Myers is selling these presently: Myerstech Hybrid poly-dyneema straps, 15'. I didn't see any 12-footers. Worth getting, then?
    Those are the ones. He upped the price a bit — the initial batch were $35/set, sold out in no time flat — but still worth it... includes Evo loops for suspension and CLs.

The design is clever, with polyester (the grey part) being the main material and UHMWPE added to reduce stretch. I've tested the 3.3g/ft poyester webbing (no dyneema) and find it pretty stretchy, and it has a listed 900lb break strength which is rather minimal in Hammocklandia.

Now, Myers description says these hybrids have 2000lb break strength and that might be a bit optimistic (?) ... but maybe he and/or the manufacturer have tested them on a machine, I dunno. They're quite new on the scene so nobody has been using them for a long time in all sorts of conditions, and that is the true test that reveals any hiccups.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    EE Rev 20, JRB MW3
    Suspension
    Becket, J-bend
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    They're quite new on the scene so nobody has been using them for a long time in all sorts of conditions, and that is the true test that reveals any hiccups.
    Thanks for the info on the design. I've bought them, so I'll be joining the group of guinea pigs.

Hammock
    Dream hammock darien
    Tarp
    Hg Winter palace
    Insulation
    HG burrow, WB yeti
    Suspension
    Spider web 1.5
    Yes I didn’t do the best wording my reply, the Darien probably won’t work for you, but a lighter fabric in a reversible hammock will. If you look at two speed’s recent posts, he’s using hexon 1.2 on the cdt. I weighed 205 starting the at, then dropped to 190. I’d be comfortable at my current weight with the hexon 1.2. What you want to avoid are the lighter fabrics (cloud and monolite), which gave great carryweight but haven’t been tested much on 500 mile hikes. If I were doing your planned hike, I’d try to get to or below 14 lbs base weight. My current summer kit is just under 12. However, plenty of hikers have been highly successful at higher base weights, the ultralight urge can be overdone. No one can tell you exactly what to pack (well they can, but you shouldn’t listen to them).

Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    EE Rev 20, JRB MW3
    Suspension
    Becket, J-bend
    Quote Originally Posted by chef4 View Post
    If you look at two speed’s recent posts, he’s using hexon 1.2 on the cdt.
    Thanks, that was a good read. For future readers, it's here.

Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    EE Rev 20, JRB MW3
    Suspension
    Becket, J-bend
    I'm honing in on a slightly-revised hammock choice: Probably still a Chameleon, so I can test out both right & left asymmetric lays, and so I can buy more in-hammock gear storage as I go if necessary (using the clips around the perimeter). Probably in Hexon 1.2 to save weight, as it seems sufficiently durable.

Next topic: which tarp? Without much consideration I figured a DutchwareGear 11-ft Hex Tarp ($110, 13.0oz) would do, but now I'm worried about precipitation entering the ends in windy weather. My lack of tarping experience, and an ambitious trip through NH and ME in the fall, could result in me having a suboptimal setup in bad weather.

The full solution is of course to have doors, but I'd prefer to keep the weight down if possible.

The WB Thunderfly ($125, 13.4oz) may be a sweet-spot solution between coverage and weight, due to its beaks that protect the ends. Would that be sufficient for September in Maine?

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    I'm honing in on a slightly-revised hammock choice: Probably still a Chameleon, so I can test out both right & left asymmetric lays, and so I can buy more in-hammock gear storage as I go if necessary (using the clips around the perimeter). Probably in Hexon 1.2 to save weight, as it seems sufficiently durable.

Next topic: which tarp? Without much consideration I figured a DutchwareGear 11-ft Hex Tarp ($110, 13.0oz) would do, but now I'm worried about precipitation entering the ends in windy weather. My lack of tarping experience, and an ambitious trip through NH and ME in the fall, could result in me having a suboptimal setup in bad weather.

The full solution is of course to have doors, but I'd prefer to keep the weight down if possible.

The WB Thunderfly ($125, 13.4oz) may be a sweet-spot solution between coverage and weight, due to its beaks that protect the ends. Would that be sufficient for September in Maine?
    Very hard to say because you'll get experienced people who are fine using a postage-stamp asym in a hurricane and other people claiming that nothing short of a quonset hut sized tarp with internal poles will suffice!

If you're somewhat careful about pitching in semi-protected areas with good orientation to the prevailing wind, a plain ol' hex can work very well. A couple of years ago I did the LHHT with such a tarp (HG Hex) in fairly crappy weather — rained a lot every day and night — and was fine.

You've got some time before your trip so maybe get something like the SLD Trail Haven ('cause shipping is super fast!) and try it out... maybe bop on over to Skyline/Shenandoah for a couple of days. Nice test venue because there are some exposed areas up there. Maybe even Dolly Sods?
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    DutchWare Half-Zipped (Hexon 1.0)
    Tarp
    HammockGear CF Hex
    Insulation
    HG UQs and TQs
    Suspension
    Huggers w/Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    I find an air mat in a GE hammock to be profoundly awful, but if you wanna give it a go....
    I carry an air mattress on long hikes on the AT and LT. There are times I just wanna throw one down in a shelter, eat, and pass out!

In summer, I like my Nemo Tensor Sleeping Pad - Short (48"x20"x3") (R 1.6) at 230g. In shoulder seasons, I like my old Exped UL Synmat 7 M R 3.1 at 420g. I tell myself it'll supplement my 40° UQ, but I haven't used it that way yet.
    L.Dog
    AT 2000 Miler/ 1752 Hangin' Miles
    Pictures
    Blog
    Pack List

Hammock
    DutchWare Half-Zipped (Hexon 1.0)
    Tarp
    HammockGear CF Hex
    Insulation
    HG UQs and TQs
    Suspension
    Huggers w/Whoopies
    Images

I'm planning for a hike of the North end of the Appalachian Trail, the last 500 miles or so through NH and ME. I'd like a gear shakedown. My style isn't ultralight, but I'm trying to push further that direction, within certain constraints. My base weight is still about 20lbs, but a couple trips ago it was 40lbs, so -- progress!
    I'm just getting into hammocking, so I especially want advice about what hammock system to buy. I've hammock-backpacked only once, but I think I slept better than I ever have in a tent, so I'm about ready to take the plunge to buy real hammock gear.
    I've hiked the AT, and am working on the LT. I'm using a Dutch Half-Zip in Hexon 1.0 (I'm 175 lbs). it's 365g. It doesn't offer the flexibility of the Chameleon, but for 3-season hiking in east coast mountains I consider it ideal for me. It's simple, one can unzip the net, roll it up, and stash it on the side of the hammock.

I like peak shelves on both ends. When it's cold, I like to stash my puffy on the foot end, and my beanie and gloves in the head end. Everything in my pockets goes in the ridgeline organizer.

I use Hammockgear quilts. Incubator 40° UQ, and Burrow 40° TQ. But I generally stick to "3 season" hiking and the 40s have treated me well.

I use a HammockGear DCF Hex tarp. on it's own suspension

I love my Exped Air Pillow UL M, It's inflatable, and shaped like a cashew so it fits nicely in the hammock, and supports my neck. Theres several other mftrs making similar styles now.

I use whoopees, with dutch whoopee hooks, larksheaded onto my tree huggers. I wrap the huggers around the tree, slap the whoopee hooks on the hammock's continuous loops, and adjust the whoopee length.

This is like talking religion around here, and I see the appeal of a longer tree strap and using a becket hitch. But I'm going for lightweight on long hikes. And I have never had a problem with minimum length with this setup. I just keep wrapping the huggers, and even the whoopee tails around the tree till the length is right.

Have fun putting your rig together, and good luck on your hike!
    L.Dog
    AT 2000 Miler/ 1752 Hangin' Miles
    Pictures
    Blog
    Pack List

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ldog View Post
    I carry an air mattress on long hikes on the AT and LT. There are times I just wanna throw one down in a shelter, eat, and pass out!

In summer, I like my Nemo Tensor Sleeping Pad - Short (48"x20"x3") (R 1.6) at 230g. In shoulder seasons, I like my old Exped UL Synmat 7 M R 3.1 at 420g. I tell myself it'll supplement my 40° UQ, but I haven't used it that way yet.
    If I ever did a long hike where GtG was very likely I'd also carry some sort of ground option. I did that at Baxter a couple of years ago and the first couple of days it annoyed me to no end that I was carrying 295g extra. But I got over it.

But I really hate shelters largely due to one of the few (perhaps unreasonable) phobias I have, which is Hantavirus (which can be airborne in dry mouse poop), with a dollop of Norovirus. And I just don't like sleeping with other snoring, stinky strangers, although I'll reluctantly take advantage of the cover for heating dinner water if it's raining or super windy.

Good luck with the air mat in the hammock. No amount of inflation/deflation worked for me!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast