Hammock
    SLD TL 1.6
    Tarp
    ThunderFly SP 20D
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, Costco TQ
    Suspension
    Becket

Advice on solo camping west of Adirondacks (on my way to Canada) P.S: I'm also a chicken

I'll be making my way by motorcycle from Beacon, NY to the Thousand Island border crossing in a couple of weeks and was hoping to find any advice for solo camping. Since I'm leaving around 4pm on a weekday, I figure I can prob ride until 10pm and get somewhere camp worthy not in a big city within 2.5 hours of the border crossing. I attached a route that looks to be about where I'll end up but of course anywhere within a 100 mile radius should be OK as my route is flexible. I would love to hear about other route recommendations as well as I've never been through there (pins are just from some notes I've taken).

My ideal scenario would be to camp at one of those primitive camping spots, ideally one I can ride up to on my motorcycle. Here's a map I found although there are no pics or much info there directly but it seems you can usually google search the names or locations and find a DEC page on it. https://andyarthur.org/explore/new-y...e-camping-maps

But to be honest, I think I'd be too chicken to camp at one overnight. I think I'd have to be so tired or drunk to not think about every sound being from a bear stalking me. I tried stealth camping once by literally just driving my motorcycle (it's a dual sport with knobby tires) off a side road of a side road but couldn't fall asleep.

I guess if I can't be persuaded to try again then I should consider regular camping grounds but I'm not certain if every one is open for walkups due to covid? I remember this being the case last year at least. Also, on a previous trip around that area but a little ways east, I was surprised to hear a lot of public campgrounds didn't want hammock camping (or maybe it was the motorcycle??).

Anyway, I'm just dumping my thoughts for now and will be planning this out for the next week. I appreciate everyone's comments.

2021-07-06-200333_840x511_scrot.png
    Last edited by uninjured; 07-06-2021 at 19:53.

Hammock
    SLD TL 1.6
    Tarp
    ThunderFly SP 20D
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, Costco TQ
    Suspension
    Becket
    I was digging into that primitive roadside map and found an example of something I would consider but don't have enough experience with. It appears to be on a road at least although I dunno if it's actually accessible, i.e, not barricaded but dirt is OK. 2021-07-06-203919_2002x1360_scrot.jpg

I honestly wouldn't know what to expect from it especially since being near a town: safe from certain humans or even high school partyers lol. Perhaps somewhere deeper in and bear spray might be the better option...

Hammock
    HG Wanderlust
    Insulation
    EE TQ, HG UQ
    The park you flagged on your map is not exactly super-wilderness, it's an actual campground: https://www.paulsmiths.edu/johndillonpark/lean-tos/

...and I see they have lean-tos and you have to register. So it's not exactly like driving off-trail into the middle of nowhere. I'm a little familiar with the area from hiking in the High Peaks though I've never camped there. I'd guess that your risk of a bear encounter would be the same as in the Catskills or on the ADK property: they are there but I wouldn't say your risk is 'high" provided you take precautions. I know in the ADK park you must have a bear canister; not optional. The campground you flagged has bear proof containers at each campsite according to their website.

You mention you had issues stealth camping. Then stay at a formal/designated campground where there are others around etc. I think a Google Map search would turn up a few in that area beside the one you flagged on the map.....just call an ask if they are open. I bet midweek you'll have better luck then on a weekend. Going deeper might not be productive if you have safety concerns.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    I agree with Bobonli that bears aren't a big issue in most places. A few years back I did the Cranberry 50 solo (with my dog) and didn't see a single bear, or even scat or prints, for the whole 4-day loop. Bears tend to hang around areas regularly visited by sloppy humans. Just do a good food hang and don't worry about it.

The Cranberry Lake campground is pretty cool, but again you'd have to make reservations and it appears to be out of your way.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Minifly
    Insulation
    JRB + EETQ
    Suspension
    Beckett Hitch
    Some advice I got a while back that helped me get over my anxiety of being alone in the woods: start out camping very close to your vehicle so if anything spooks you in the night you can pack right up and bail out quickly. In a pinch you can just shove your hammock and gear into your pack, you can make it neat later. Just knowing that this is an option will help you sleep better. Over time try moving further and further away from your vehicle, and eventually you'll get comfortable with all the night woods noises enough to leave your vehicle miles behind.

This site might help find spots you can camp at right next to your bike: https://freecampsites.net/
    -- Josh

"Courage, mon ami! Le Diable est mort!"

Hammock
    SLD TL 1.6
    Tarp
    ThunderFly SP 20D
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, Costco TQ
    Suspension
    Becket
    Thanks for all the good advice so far. To be sure, the pin I dropped on the map was just to show an approximation of range where I might be able to get to. I called up a bunch of camp sites and so far 5 out of 5 are booked straight through the summer until fall and can't accommodate an extra hammock without being on an official site. I think I'll just need to muster up some cajones and try for a primitive site or worst case just setup somewhere off the beaten path in the woods. I guess bear spray should lend some comfort but I can't seem to order it on Amazon to my address due to it being a controlled item but I suppose Walmart or similar in upstate NY sells it? Will also pack a mickey to calm the nerves and have some Van Halen queued up

Hammock
    SLD TL 1.6
    Tarp
    ThunderFly SP 20D
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, Costco TQ
    Suspension
    Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by jb_outdoors View Post
    Some advice I got a while back that helped me get over my anxiety of being alone in the woods: start out camping very close to your vehicle so if anything spooks you in the night you can pack right up and bail out quickly. In a pinch you can just shove your hammock and gear into your pack, you can make it neat later. Just knowing that this is an option will help you sleep better. Over time try moving further and further away from your vehicle, and eventually you'll get comfortable with all the night woods noises enough to leave your vehicle miles behind.

This site might help find spots you can camp at right next to your bike: https://freecampsites.net/
    That site is amazing and it has photos as well. I found this site https://freecampsites.net/#!22385&query=sitedetails that shouldn't be filled up during the week and hopefully there will be at least 1 other party there. Indeed I can drive my bike right up near my hammock!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Minifly
    Insulation
    JRB + EETQ
    Suspension
    Beckett Hitch
    Quote Originally Posted by uninjured View Post
    I guess bear spray should lend some comfort but I can't seem to order it on Amazon to my address due to it being a controlled item but I suppose Walmart or similar in upstate NY sells it?
    Not sure about acquiring bear spray in those parts but I can say that unless you're in an area known for "problem" bears and/or being incredibly careless with your food and other smelly items you're very unlikely to see a bear. Black bears resemble big dogs in many ways and it's helpful for some folks (myself included) to think of them as such. They become much less intimidating this way
    -- Josh

"Courage, mon ami! Le Diable est mort!"

Hammock
    MYOG Bridge
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Suspension
    Straps & Turtles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    I agree with Bobonli that bears aren't a big issue in most places. A few years back I did the Cranberry 50 solo (with my dog) and didn't see a single bear, or even scat or prints, for the whole 4-day loop. Bears tend to hang around areas regularly visited by sloppy humans. Just do a good food hang and don't worry about it.

The Cranberry Lake campground is pretty cool, but again you'd have to make reservations and it appears to be out of your way.
    Cranberry Lake is beautiful, I was there about 6wks ago (trying out my new bridge hammock!). There's primitive spots in the Five Ponds wilderness a few miles E of the campground, but they're a good 4mi hike in to reach. :/

Also, almost an hour E from Cranberry Lake is Rollins Pond, that's a beautiful campground as well.

Images
    Setting up in the dark is never fun but setting up in the dark with little experience is going to be frustrating. I recommend getting into camp with enough daylight left to set up camp and finish camp chores.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast