Hammock
    SLD TL 1.6
    Tarp
    ThunderFly SP 20D
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, Costco TQ
    Suspension
    Becket
    Spoke to some DEC folks and they were quite helpful. They advised that even though some of these state forests have a few free campsites, you're allowed to hang anywhere at least 150' away from the road and water. They said I'll be fine and they aren't very busy during the week anyway. One also said not to even worry about black bears and forget about bear spray - they're just like dogs and will be scared of you anyway. I'm pretty excited, will be scoping out dropping more pins around the area on potential good spots. Bonus if there is also good fishing!

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by packman9000 View Post
    Cranberry Lake is beautiful, I was there about 6wks ago (trying out my new bridge hammock!). There's primitive spots in the Five Ponds wilderness a few miles E of the campground, but they're a good 4mi hike in to reach. :/

Also, almost an hour E from Cranberry Lake is Rollins Pond, that's a beautiful campground as well.
    When I was there I parked at Peavine Swamp and walked clockwise.... wanted to get the road walk out of the way first. I hate ending a hike with a road walk.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    SLD TL 1.6
    Tarp
    ThunderFly SP 20D
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, Costco TQ
    Suspension
    Becket
    I was going to pick up some bear spray on the way but it seems it's not even sold in NY?

Hammock
    HG Wanderlust
    Insulation
    EE TQ, HG UQ
    I searched REI and found several “buy online and pick up in store tomorrow “ in ny
    https://www.rei.com/product/154930/c...spray-81-fl-oz

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    AHE Ridge Creek XL
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    It would be a drive for you, but you can buy bear spray in CT. Call ahead to Sierra or 'D sporting goods in Danbury.
    "Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing."
    - Henry David Thoreau

Hammock
    SLD Voyageur / TL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Buckles/Becket
    I use bear canisters but don’t bother with bear spray, although my wife takes it. I do have a sharp walking stick however! .

I read this on bear.org.

The 750,000 black bears of North America kill less than one person per year on the average, while men ages 18-24 are 167 times more likely to kill someone than a black bear.

Hammock
    MYOG Bridge
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Suspension
    Straps & Turtles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    When I was there I parked at Peavine Swamp and walked clockwise.... wanted to get the road walk out of the way first. I hate ending a hike with a road walk.
    I'm familiar with a fair amount of the area around Cranberry, but darned if I can find Peavine Swamp...?

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Coordinates N44.1952, W74.8724

More here! https://cranberrylake50.org/peavine-swamp-trail/
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    SLD TL 1.6
    Tarp
    ThunderFly SP 20D
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, Costco TQ
    Suspension
    Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by Tpatter View Post
    I use bear canisters but don’t bother with bear spray, although my wife takes it. I do have a sharp walking stick however! .

I read this on bear.org.

The 750,000 black bears of North America kill less than one person per year on the average, while men ages 18-24 are 167 times more likely to kill someone than a black bear.
    I kept mistaking bear canisters read here to mean bear spray - but I see they're the same as what my buddies up in Canada call bear barrels.

I thought about this some more and I'm gonna skip the bear spray and camp out in one of these state forests with headlamp and Van Halen protection. I've marked over 6 depending on which route I take since I may need to cut south, west or east to avoid rain since I'm on my bike...

Hammock
    SLD TL 1.6
    Tarp
    ThunderFly SP 20D
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, Costco TQ
    Suspension
    Becket
    Update on my trip: due to weather I had to take another route a bit further east of where I planned on camping in the state forest. While I had some pins on the alternate route, they certainly weren't as easy to access as the other ones: miles of unmaintained dirt road to get to the actual site. I ended up staying at a pay camp site for $10 but given my late arrival (around midnight) I ended up camping quite far outside of the RV area next to a river with no other campers. I guess this is a bit closer to solo camping and I felt pretty comfortable despite the river masking out all noises. Granted a couple of beers helped ease my mind too but I think I may be ready to try solo camping next opportunity.

Thanks again for all the thoughtful replies!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast