DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Finishing the Colorado Trail this year

I'll be flying out in two weeks to finish the Colorado Trail. I did Waterton Park to Twin Lakes in 2017. Hammocked all 10 nights on the trail.

Starting in Twin Lakes and taking Collegiate West route. Going to be some elevation early in the trip so I am a little apprehensive about that. Hopefully I'll have to good pictures to share along the way.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair, Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG, Zpacks, DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre, HG
    Suspension
    MyersTech
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nodust View Post
    I'll be flying out in two weeks to finish the Colorado Trail. I did Waterton Park to Twin Lakes in 2017. Hammocked all 10 nights on the trail.

Starting in Twin Lakes and taking Collegiate West route. Going to be some elevation early in the trip so I am a little apprehensive about that. Hopefully I'll have to good pictures to share along the way.
    Good luck & sounds like fun too. Apart from the Waterton Park to Twin Lakes section & above the tree line, was the hammocking good on the other sections? Are you gonna hammock on the final section too? After I retire, I hope to do some along distance trips myself & the CT is definitely on the list.

As for elevation concerns, my son & I hiked in the Pecos Wilderness last September anywhere from 8K' to >12K' & it took us about 1-1/2 days to get acclimated. After that, not a big deal... except for the climbing part!

Hammock
    DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Finishing the Colorado Trail this year

Yes I’ll hammock the rest of the way. Carry a small sit pad that can double as sleeping pad if I can’t hang my hammock. Will just tough it out that night if needed.

I had absolutely no troubles hammocking the first 180 miles.

These were my camp spots in mile number
    Night in Breck
    Last night climbed to last tree on Mt Elbert and camped. Summit yes Elbert next morning and hiked to Twin Lakes.

I was going west/south bound.
    Last edited by Nodust; 07-06-2021 at 10:19.

Hammock
    DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Leaving in two days.

Anyone hiked the trail this time of year and could tell me if I will be miserable with a 40 degree topquilt.

Bringing a 20 degree bottom quilt and have a 20 top. Last minute game time decision and can’t make up my mind.

Four years ago I was warm every night but that was in late august early September with my 20 degree.

Hammock
    DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I should add that I’ve slept with my 40 top and 20 bottom in the lower 30’s and was fine. I know things can turn quickly in the Rockies so that’s why I’m having second thoughts with a 40 too quilt.

Below 30 would be tough.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    Camo Superfly
    Insulation
    3 season WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Hey NoDust! Best of luck in completing the CT! I have 85 miles left to go Seg 11 and 18-21 (HWY 114 to Lake City). I hope to get that knocked in the next month. That Collegiate West looks rough (and high) for hammockers. We went the eastern route.
    We hiked most of it the last two years, and we did have a few mornings a little below freezing ( 28-30). If the sun is out, it warms up quickly. Most important (obviously) is staying dry with afternoon thunderstorms (and hopefully no hail!).

I don't know if you are aware of this site for Mountain Weather Forecasts https://www.mountain-forecast.com/ ... you select a mountain and an elevation, and will give you the forecast for the next 5 days or so. Not perfect, but gives you some ideas.

I think you will be well past Segs 18-21 before I get out there, but if I see a hammocker out there I will ask! FWIW, 18-21 also has some areas with few trees, as does 23-24. And in checking Guthook recent reports, the water availability in 18-21 is pretty scarce.... that has me most concerned, thinking I may have to haul about 4-5 liters the first 20 miles (which is low elevation and mostly flat).

Good luck and file reports as you can!

Lance

Hammock
    DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by LanceHawk View Post
    Hey NoDust!

I don't know if you are aware of this site for Mountain Weather Forecasts https://www.mountain-forecast.com/ ... you select a mountain and an elevation, and will give you the forecast for the next 5 days or so. Not perfect, but gives you some ideas.

I
    Lance
    Woah, cool site there. Never heard of that one.

I'll post updates here as I get into towns with cell service. Hitting the trail Thursday if all travel goes well.

I do have a small torso sized pad I use for under my feet in hammock and will be my goto ground pad. I won't be perfectly comfortable but that will get me up early and hiking

Happy Trails

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair, Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG, Zpacks, DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre, HG
    Suspension
    MyersTech
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by LanceHawk View Post
    In planning for my Pecos Wilderness trip, I was told about that website by the Las Vegas Ranger District. Wound up being a pretty good resource.

Hammock
    DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Well I didn’t have enough time to finish the trail. High elevations and cold rain 13/16 days slowed me down too much made it to Silverton 75 miles shy. But this will be an easy place to come back to next year and finish.

Still averaged about 15 mpd. Not back for someone 47 years old from below sea level Louisiana.

One night on the ground. I carried a pad but should have had better. The 35 mile stretch above 12k’ you will have to sleep on the ground or cover it all. Everywhere else was easy finding trees.

Hammock
    DH Raven #5906
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Looks awesome, cant wait to start section hiking the CT too

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast