one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR

4' Huggers Enough?

So we're thinking of backpacking some trails in Hawaii, . . . that's right, gear-on-my-back sort of thing . . . , . . . don't laugh.
    I've spent most of my life making sure I had some sort of vehicle to haul my gear. Anything from a dugout to my 6x6, but now I'm heading into barely explored (by me) terrain. So I'm aware that I need a real backpack (still studying on that) and even clothing/footwear, but the one thing I'm comfortable modifying for weight savings right off the bat is our hammock suspensions.
    The goal is to go w/ short poly huggers, UCRs, and a few fast shackles. The splicable stuff I can do myself. My main question (for the moment) is how short can I go before it's too short?
    Here in the desert I could wrap a 4'er twice around most things we hang from. I've also spent some time in Central America, so I am familiar the size some trees can reach in the tropics. Though not usually the trees we were hanging from. That was also the days of using rope, so I've never thought about how long a strap that would have been.

So what do you think is the perfect length before you're just carrying extra webbing around.

I have never been to Hawaii but from pics/ shows Ive seen- you should be good using 4' huggers. I use a 3' +5' x 1" webbing huggers with UCR's and evo loops with no complaints.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    All depends on how much old growth forest is in Hawaii. Here on the East Coast, they clear-cut every tree from Florida to Maine around the turn of the century (20th), so 4 ft. huggers work fine.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    SLD Voyageur / TL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Buckles/Becket
    I've hiked and hammock some in Hawaii. Thick growth, but likely something you can hook on to, although perhaps not what we think of as a tree here. Palms on the coast are super easy to work with, but inland in the jungle-ish areas, it is super thick.

I would check the area and island with some research. Some areas are all lava, others thick vegetation, some have nice trees. Def. want a bugnet - probably not so much mosquitos, but at night the place can come alive with insects depending on where you are.

They have many great campsites on Oahu - it's incredible, every 3-4 miles it seems there is another incredible public park where you can camp. Some have perfect trees for it. I am not so sure on the other islands. Cool part is that you can only reserve them 2 weeks in advance, so that makes it easier in some ways.

I dream of doing a multi week camping trip eventually, going all around the perimiter of Oahu.

• + New Posts