Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Alternatives to Warbonnet Blackbird XLC

I'm converting to sleeping outside full time and need a really comfortable hammock that's practical in the long term.

I'm considering getting a much larger tarp like this:

https://dutchwaregear.com/product/wide-rectangle-tarp/

and basically keeping it in porch mode 24/7. It should have plenty of room to keep me dry in porch mode even during a storm. I could take it down of course but if I'm asleep I just might not want to wake up.

The hammock also needs to have the option for a sock I think. The problem is that the ambient air can get really cold which means I can't use my hands to read a book because they start to freeze up.

I guess one strategy could be that I buy some lightweight gloves and keep them in my hammock kit and just use those while I sleep.

I'm considering the Blackbird XLC though because it has an integrated underquilt guard and top which can act as a sock and magnify the hammock's heat retention.

Any other options here? I'm trying to see what are the BEST options I have even if it means a bit more weight.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ridgerunner/ chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Synthetic UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch beetles
    Simply light designs trail lair with a windshield. Best integrated bug net hammock I’ve ever tried. Way more room than an xlc and way less complicated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    El Dorado
    Tarp
    Varies
    Insulation
    UQ varies
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Superior with the integrated insulation?

I think they have a top and bug net that are interchangeable.

Chinook sounds pretty good to me.

Hammocks can travel south for the winter if you can. If you are already outside and expect to be when it's cold.....

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

I have experienced with the tarps being effected by uv.... as these tarps were set up permanently.... l guesstimate the duration 7 - 12 months noticing tiny pin size holes appearing randomly in places.

I have also tried a simple poly tarp due to the robust nature and longevity.... however in high wind and heavy rain they made sleeping difficult they amplify sounding rain and whip crack in high wind....

l now have been setting up with shade cloth covering my hammock tarps.

still recon l use my Asym tarp set up to be my go to.... a DutchWareGear large asym also as this provides extra coverage.... every now and then l require setting up a tarp with doors.

If the daytime is windy and with rain l will tie my hammock up, lifting it higher closer in the tarp via the tarp RL.
    This is a SLD trail lair.... over the months l rotate setting up with other hammocks.IMG_3499.jpg
    Last edited by Cabbo; 07-03-2021 at 06:27.

so you're saying sun will degrade silnylon if it's out and exposed for long term? I guess you're saying it lasts for 6 months?

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    If you don't plan on backpacking, then why not look at the more durable (and cheaper) alternatives...like the good ole Walmart blue tarp?

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DW Wide Rectangle
    Insulation
    Jacks r Better zip
    Suspension
    Beetle buckle
    I have that tarp and I love it. What others are saying could be true but part of what is nice are pole mods and internal Ridgeline. If you are always out there the poles really open up the tarp and I'm sure a tarp Ridgeline would be handy for some organization

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabbo View Post
    I have experienced with the tarps being effected by uv.... as these tarps were set up permanently.... l guesstimate the duration 7 - 12 months noticing tiny pin size holes appearing randomly in places.

I have also tried a simple poly tarp due to the robust nature and longevity.... however in high wind and heavy rain they made sleeping difficult they amplify sounding rain and whip crack in high wind....

l now have been setting up with shade cloth covering my hammock tarps.

still recon l use my Asym tarp set up to be my go to.... a DutchWareGear large asym also as this provides extra coverage.... every now and then l require setting up a tarp with doors.

If the daytime is windy and with rain l will tie my hammock up, lifting it higher closer in the tarp via the tarp RL.
    This is a SLD trail lair.... over the months l rotate setting up with other hammocks.IMG_3499.jpg
    I'm also shade clothing over my tarps, well, shade cloth all of the time and tarp under if I need rain protection. Being in the desert shade is needed way more than rain protection.

I started that after seeing that some of my gear was starting to fade due to UV exposure and didn't want to push it to the point of deterioration.

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by FLTurtle View Post
    If you don't plan on backpacking, then why not look at the more durable (and cheaper) alternatives...like the good ole Walmart blue tarp?
    He said why in his post. only I see he wasn't the OP, so never mind.

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Well, he was mostly talking about hammocks. I just saw he posted a link to a $150 tarp that will be up 24x7...

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast