Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

ViDEO....PART 2 of 5 Day Solo Canoe Trip

Part 2 for the curious......
    There is a lot of lollygagging from the hammock.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    El Dorado
    Tarp
    Varies
    Insulation
    UQ varies
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Have that running to keep me company while I work right now. Much better scenery than my dungeon.

Thank you.

As an amusing aside I just hired a new babysitter that just moved south from your kneck if the woods.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    BBXLC
    Tarp
    12' HG Journey
    Insulation
    Wooki 20*
    You talk about save the BWCA during the videos. I guess I'm ignorant, being from the south and all, what's the deal with that? I know my Father and Brother-in-law went on canoe trips in Canada many years ago. These videos make me want to see if the BIL still has interest in that.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair, Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG, Zpacks, DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre, HG
    Suspension
    MyersTech
    Images
    Another fun video! Really makes me want a canoe too!

I liked the turtles & I'm sure seeing them lay their eggs was a little unexpected & pretty cool.

When you're portaging, does the canoe rest right across on your shoulders or is there something the canoe rests on, like a shoulder pad/cushion, so it's not making direct contact? Also, it sounds like from your campsite descriptions, they're designated campsites? You can't just set up wherever in the BWCA?

And there's nothing wrong with a little lollygagging, especially when you're out on a solo adventure. Like you, one of my favorite times is having a cup at the end of the day & in the morning before I get going... great way to watch the world go by & get some quiet time.

Thanks for posting.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rmcrow2 View Post
    Have that running to keep me company while I work right now. Much better scenery than my dungeon.

Thank you.

As an amusing aside I just hired a new babysitter that just moved south from your kneck if the woods.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    I do enjoy when folks watch at work! Sweeter for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Hang Williams View Post
    You talk about save the BWCA during the videos. I guess I'm ignorant, being from the south and all, what's the deal with that? I know my Father and Brother-in-law went on canoe trips in Canada many years ago. These videos make me want to see if the BIL still has interest in that.
    Mining companies and all that sorta stuff trying to gain access. You can google it if you really want to know more. "Save the Boundary Waters"
    It is so quiet out there I am spoiled on some hiking trails now where I can hear highway and trucks.

Quote Originally Posted by ObdewlaX View Post
    Another fun video! Really makes me want a canoe too!

I liked the turtles & I'm sure seeing them lay their eggs was a little unexpected & pretty cool.

When you're portaging, does the canoe rest right across on your shoulders or is there something the canoe rests on, like a shoulder pad/cushion, so it's not making direct contact? Also, it sounds like from your campsite descriptions, they're designated campsites? You can't just set up wherever in the BWCA?

And there's nothing wrong with a little lollygagging, especially when you're out on a solo adventure. Like you, one of my favorite times is having a cup at the end of the day & in the morning before I get going... great way to watch the world go by & get some quiet time.

Thanks for posting.
    Yes, the canoe has a padded yoke to sit on your shoulders.
    Campsites as first come first serve and while canoeing you must use campsites they provide. On the hiking trails I do in BWCA you can camp off trail out of designated sites as long as 200 feet off trail and use LNT techniques. So no you can't set up just anywhere on a canoe trip. These woods are very thick and rough.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Superfly/Minifly
    Insulation
    WB DB, LL Habanero
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Hang Williams View Post
    There are some companies that want to open up a big copper mine in the area. I dont even generally consider myself anti-mining, I use plenty of goods that come from mining (batteries, copper pipes, etc), but that mine, in that area, is a non starter for me. Check out https://www.savetheboundarywaters.org/ if you want to learn more. I donate once a year during Minnesotas give to the max day.

Thanks for the video Shug! Makes me want to get up to the BWCA next year when my kiddo will be older.

Nice to see you try a couple of different Backpacker Gourmet meals on this trip. I discovered them through your videos, and LOVE the pot pie and tortilla soup meals they make. Usually end up bringing one or the other on multi day trips.

Great solo trip Shug- thanks for sharing. Reminds me of my youth, paddling around the Admirality group of islands on the St. Lawrence river.
    A little trick I learned was to tie a 6'-8' cotton rope on the stern of the canoe and let it trail behind you in the water especially when fighting the cross winds or head on. It acts like a rudder (without the drag of a real rudder) and help's at maintaining a more straight course. Happy paddling and hang in there.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Glad you got some good weather and sunshine, and a bit of paddling on a calm lake.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 13' Winter
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/Pad
    Suspension
    Straps n Whoopies
    These were a blast to watch, Shug! Thanks for taking the time and effort to shoot all the footage and edit this. I've been contemplating getting back into canoeing, and this might be just the push I need. Plus, I need an excuse to get up to MN in the fairer months, too. I used to camp so I could hike. Now I hike so I can camp, am I'm drawn more and more to some of the perks of canoe camping...kinda like pulling a toboggan in the winter, but with more mud and bugs.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sideshowraheem View Post
    There are some companies that want to open up a big copper mine in the area. I dont even generally consider myself anti-mining, I use plenty of goods that come from mining (batteries, copper pipes, etc), but that mine, in that area, is a non starter for me. Check out https://www.savetheboundarywaters.org/ if you want to learn more. I donate once a year during Minnesotas give to the max day.

Thanks for the video Shug! Makes me want to get up to the BWCA next year when my kiddo will be older.

Nice to see you try a couple of different Backpacker Gourmet meals on this trip. I discovered them through your videos, and LOVE the pot pie and tortilla soup meals they make. Usually end up bringing one or the other on multi day trips.
    I do do donate $$ to the cause. Don't want to see that area compromised. I'm with ya'~~
    I've had all those PG meals before but Big Easy Gumbo may just be my over-all favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by ylnfrt View Post
    Great solo trip Shug- thanks for sharing. Reminds me of my youth, paddling around the Admirality group of islands on the St. Lawrence river.
    A little trick I learned was to tie a 6'-8' cotton rope on the stern of the canoe and let it trail behind you in the water especially when fighting the cross winds or head on. It acts like a rudder (without the drag of a real rudder) and help's at maintaining a more straight course. Happy paddling and hang in there.
    That is an interesting technique.

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Glad you got some good weather and sunshine, and a bit of paddling on a calm lake.
    The calm is, well....calming!

Quote Originally Posted by 4estTrekker View Post
    These were a blast to watch, Shug! Thanks for taking the time and effort to shoot all the footage and edit this. I've been contemplating getting back into canoeing, and this might be just the push I need. Plus, I need an excuse to get up to MN in the fairer months, too. I used to camp so I could hike. Now I hike so I can camp, am I'm drawn more and more to some of the perks of canoe camping...kinda like pulling a toboggan in the winter, but with more mud and bugs.
    Such a top trip it was. MaybeI'll never hike again!!!

• + New Posts