Tarp
    UGQ WD12, WB ThFly
    Insulation
    UGQ , HG, WB
    Suspension
    Dutch, Turtle Ties

Question Hammock Policy Suggestions -- helping a city Park / Rec dept

Hello,
    I've been asked to help my local Park & Rec establish a Hammock Policy.
    They have NO problems w/ hammocks that are frequently used in river front parks.
    They WOULD like to establish a policy to encourage wise choices for straps/suspensions, address those who hang w/ just ropes or small diameter cordage, etc & fit within what is commercially available / common for low cost, recreational hammockers.

Do any of you have examples of common sense hammock use policies that I could reference?

Thank You!

Hammock
    DW/Haven Safari
    Tarp
    Multiple
    Insulation
    Multiple
    Suspension
    Dutch/Tensa/Yobo

Hammock Policy Suggestions -- helping a city Park / Rec dept

I know the big one is the use of 2” straps to protect the trees.

Another is to not cut away the foliage or hack down limbs (destroy or maim) trees. Leave that up to the P&R to designate trees or maintain the area for hammocks.

ETA: I found this one from another website https://kammok.com/blogs/the-outpost...mping-in-parks

Another website from FL State Parks .org stated this:

“Hammock use and any other associated lines may be attached to trees that are a minimum of 12 inches in diameter measured at chest height and using a minimum of 1-inch-wide flat web straps. Some parks may provide hammock posts instead of trees.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ChinoUSMC; 06-30-2021 at 12:30.
    "Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement." --Chinese Fortune Cookie

Participated in the following events:
    HangCon 2018 - 2024, (to be continued...)

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Of course it depends on tree type. Our Ponderosa Pine’s bark would probably do more damage to the strap than any strap to the bark.

I’d stay away from 2 inch straps because most people don’t have them. For example, I’m guessing most on this forum have/use 1 inch straps and a few have/use 2 inch straps. I have some - they are in a bag somewhere. The deal is, if you say, “2 inches” and the person has 1 inch straps, and knows they will be fine, it encourages disrespect for the law. If the person is not going to obey that rule, it make it easier to disobey other rules. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve seen people walk right by a “Dogs must be on leash” sign and they are just carrying the leash. Clearly that rule (i.e. LAW) is for other people; not them. I ran into it last week while kayaking at Hope Island. Some lady had motored up on the beach, clearly marked, “No Pets” and let her dog out to run around.

My point is, don’t set up a situation where people are pushed to disobey the rules because then it makes it easier for them to disobey anything that is inconvenient for them. As most knowledgeable hammock users have 1 inch straps, and 1 inch webbing can be found almost anywhere, then if the trees can handle it, I’d go for the 1 inch specification rather than 2 inches.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Leave no trace guidelines for hammocks

https://lnt.org/wp-content/uploads/2...ck-Camping.pdf

Hammock
    Dutchware Netless - for now
    Tarp
    Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Is the purpose to protect park resources or people or both?

In the people department I'd say things about "stacking" hammocks and not hanging any higher than the lowest point being x' above ground (BSA is 3'. Their policies can be found here https://www.scouting.org/health-and-...mmock-camping/).

If you wanted it to be light hearted I'd add "never hang higher than you're willing to fall"

I think others have addressed the LNT and keeping trees safe.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    The issue I have with the FL state park rules is that it addresses the hammock straps, however the tarp suspension is usually Zingit or other thin line tried to the trees. My tarp is tied lower than the straps...so technically, I'd need some length of 1" strap to sleeve the Zingit to comply. So far, it hasn't been an issue...but I see the potential is there.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I made one of those Amsteel-inside-of-nylon-tubing extensions - it’s around here someplace. I always use 1 inch straps for the hammock because - you know - the weight factor. But a tarp puts hardly any force on the tree (comparatively). I’m more concerned for wear on the LashIt against 2 inch thick sharp bark than I am on the LashIt hurting the tree. But you gotta do what you gotta do to make the authorities happy. And remember, you are representing the hammock community. How your interaction goes will color the Park Persons attitude towards the next hammock camper they come across.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    This could be stepping off the deep end. Possibly with too many words. And those who understand, probably already know, while those who don’t understand probably will never know.

Maybe a short note on advisability of 30* angle of hang. A hammock camper who strings up their hammock in a tight flat horizontal hang—will put undue stress on their suspension, both trees, and probably their hammock.

The best way to show this to new hammockers is to have two schematic drawings showing the good way and the bad way. This could be on the sign that says one inch straps are the norm for hammock suspensions, to protect our trees.

Some people know
    Some people don’t know
    And some people don’t know that they don’t know

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    If it was my park, I'd put up posts for hammocks, and leave the trees in peace. Daily use by the public cannot be a good thing.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    If it was my park, I'd put up posts for hammocks, and leave the trees in peace. Daily use by the public cannot be a good thing.
    Oldgringo, excellent post!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast