Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Stevebo asked about what I use for a tarp. I made my own; standard tarps are going to be way too wide and probably not quite deep enough (or too deep/long and not wide enough, depending on how you are looking at it). I was worried about the side exposure, so I made a tarp with side walls (actually, I made 2 tarps, so my wife will have one too.) The teal (?) one was my first attempt, and I didn't get the sides matched up very well. I added little pouches on the sides so I could use trekking poles to keep the front part up - you can see what that looks like when pitched in the first picture with the dark blue tarp. Note that the picture of the teal tarp shows it pitched lower than I would actually do with the hammock - I had just made it when I took the picture, and wanted to see if how much coverage I could get.

The main part of the tarp was easy to make. I just got an XL width silpoly material from Ripstop or Dutchware (not the cheapest, but it stretches less than sil nylon) and sewed attachment points on the corners and in the middle where I wanted to have the tree attachment points. If you aren't too fussy about the tarp being perfectly taut that's all you have to do. You can do a catenary cut on the ends to get it to flap less, and if you really want to do it "right" you could do a catenary cut for the ridgeline, but then you have to seam seal the ridgeline, yada yada.

I may make myself a tarp without the sides to experiment with for when rain is less likely, since it would be lighter and WAY easier to make. The sides were a pain to align.

IMG_0673.jpg

IMG_2518.jpg
    Last edited by pdxhanger; 05-16-2023 at 19:48.

I have to admit that the biggest Achilles heal of this design IMO is a bugnet. I made a "sock" that goes around the whole hammock out of netting, because I can't see a really good way to attach a net to the edges the way people do (and I've done) with GE hammocks. If anyone has any ideas, please share!

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Thx for the info!
    Last edited by stevebo; 05-17-2023 at 17:35.
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Well, I feel like a real flip-flopper here, but I'm going back to the "2 GE pieces" approach. I can't find a good material for the wings. Although I will say that my wife and I have been doing close to weekly hikes for a couple of years using the same hammock loungers with Tyvek wings, and they are still working ok and haven't failed. But it is hard to recommend it to others. The cordura material started to stretch in a problematic way after a few nights sleeping in it.

I have a new innovation for the other design, though, that I am very excited about. Not to be a tease, but I am excited enough about it that I am not going to post it until I figure out if it has commercial potential that I want to follow up on.

Images
    lots of great info here thank you guys I have always enjoyed the look and feel of an 11' GE.

Quote Originally Posted by pdxhanger View Post
    Well, I feel like a real flip-flopper here, but I'm going back to the "2 GE pieces" approach.
    How much stress would you say there is on the connection between the two hammocks?
    Do you think that a zipper could handle the connection?
    How about snaps?

Cheers.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by offGridDownUnder View Post
    How much stress would you say there is on the connection between the two hammocks?
    Do you think that a zipper could handle the connection?
    How about snaps?

Cheers.
    There is quite a bit of stress between the two hammocks. I would say snaps definitely wouldn't work- not sure about a zipper.
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123