Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    Here's a photo of my 2012 right angle hammock. It used clews for the torso and leg sections, with spreader bars at the suspension attachment points to keep the hammock from collapsing when unoccupied. I like the simplicity of pdxhanger's design. I may go back to the right angle design because recently my left shoulder has decided it doesn't like being squeezed in a bridge hammock.
    https://www.hammockforums.net/galler...hp?i=17328&c=4
    My first 90 degree hammock attempt had some similar ideas. It was basically an attempt to clone this: https://www.hammocktent.com/index.html
    That was a LOT of work and my result didn't work that well. Adjustable lines are a good idea.

An earlier version of this hammock used triangular "wings" for the foot section, like this but with a wider piece of material for the foot section:

IMG_6915.jpg

(The picture is of the hammock loungers that my wife and I take on hikes.)

The wing version was quite adjustable, but there are aspects of it that I like less than the 2xGE design.
    One of the things I like about the 2xGE version is that there are few likely failure points.

Quote Originally Posted by OlTrailDog View Post
    Since it isn't fact unless there is a pic I took a video of the hammock, my first foray into hammock sewing, today and clipped a frame. This was my first prototype I made back in February, 2021. Also in the picture is one of the $5 hammock frames with a Cloud71 that I currently have as my couch and alternate sleeper. The frame the prototype is hanging from usually has my Hammocktent90 alpha attached that I can lift up out of the way for day time or lower for night time use.

Besides I as much as I talk about the cogitations and modifications I do with my experimental 90 that perhaps it is time for a little put up or shut up. There is a lot more to this hammock and final product than meets the eye....tease
    Attachment 185946
    Hmm. Looks like great minds... if it is made the way I think it is.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D

New (?) 90 degree hammock design

It looks like a new idea, or a twist on other ideas.
    I hope it’s comfortable and is fun and easy to use

Pdxhanger, what are you gonna call it?

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Grappler View Post
    It looks like a new idea, or a twist on other ideas.
    I hope it’s comfortable and is fun and easy to use

Pdxhanger, what are you gonna call it?
    I hadn't really thought about it, but I guess it does need a name.
    90 degree 2xGE? Just 2xGE? GEx2?
    Other suggestions?

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Nail down "90 Degree" while it's still floating around untaken. I'm still calling mine the Right Angle Hammock. Boring, but descriptive does the job best, IMO.

I've had a request for the dimensions of the foot part of the hammock. I have to say that I believe this design to be functionally inferior to the "foot/leg" section design I describe here: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...-chair-lounger

I get that people might think that the GE design that I am describing here is less work and less complication. However, it is also MUCH less adjustable, and to me it is ultimately less comfortable. I also am not sure that these measurements produce the best possible version of the GE foot/leg design, but it is the best I came up with before abandoning this design. With those caveats...

The main GE section that the foot/leg section attaches to is about 102 inches long, finished. The ridgeline can vary in length (and will change various things about the hang), but 56" is a good starting point. Attach about 40" of the middle of the main GE hammock to the middle of the foot/leg GE section.

The cut of the foot/leg section looks like this:
    IMG_1570.jpg

The length of the shorter side that attaches to the main hammock section is 92.5 inches. The length of the longer side is 101.5 inches. This section is 27.5 inches deep.

You attach the foot to it so it will look like this:

IMG_1573.jpg

You will want to run elastic cord through the top of it.

The measurements of this foot are:

Foot diagram for yellow hammock.jpg
    Last edited by pdxhanger; 02-05-2023 at 16:17.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Looks like it will have a flat lay.
    I am wondering if will be comfortable? Possible a bit tight on both sides—kind of narrow?
    I don’t know, thank you for being brave enough to make your ideas into something real.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Grappler View Post
    Looks like it will have a flat lay.
    I am wondering if will be comfortable? Possible a bit tight on both sides—kind of narrow?
    I don’t know, thank you for being brave enough to make your ideas into something real.
    It is actually not a super flat lay, which turns out to be a benefit. It is more of the "zero gravity" position that these days is considered by many people to be the most comfortable sleep position, not unlike a reclined La-Z-Boy. It is super comfortable, at least to me and my wife. As I have gotten older, comfort in traditional GE and bridge hammocks has become more difficult to achieve. I have been having back & sciatica problems the last couple of months, and discovered that sleeping in the 90 degree hammock results in my back & legs being happier than in our (very nice latex mattress) bed. I find both the back and side sleeping positions more comfortable than in any of my GE or bridge hammocks.

"Shoulder squeeze" is not an issue. I would say shoulder squeeze or narrowness is equal to or less than most GE or bridge hammocks.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    RSBTR Winter Hex12
    Insulation
    DIY Wookie style
    Suspension
    Tensa4, Trekking
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pdxhanger View Post
    I've had a request for the dimensions of the foot part of the hammock. I have to say that I believe this design to be functionally inferior to the "foot/leg" section design I describe here: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...-chair-lounger

I get that people might think that the GE design that I am describing here is less work and less complication. However, it is also MUCH less adjustable, and to me it is ultimately less comfortable. I also am not sure that these measurements produce the best possible version of the GE foot/leg design, but it is the best I came up with before abandoning this design. With those caveats...

The main GE section that the foot/leg section attaches to is about 102 inches long, finished. The ridgeline can vary in length (and will change various things about the hang), but 56" is a good starting point. Attach about 40" of the middle of the main GE hammock to the middle of the foot/leg GE section.

The cut of the foot/leg section looks like this:
    IMG_1570.jpg

The length of the shorter side that attaches to the main hammock section is 92.5 inches. The length of the longer side is 101.5 inches. This section is 27.5 inches deep.

You attach the foot to it so it will look like this:

IMG_1573.jpg

You will want to run elastic cord through the top of it.

The measurements of this foot are:

Foot diagram for yellow hammock.jpg
    I'd really like to make one of these. You gave a pattern for the footbox, and sort of measurements for the leg section. Any chance you can give a pattern with dimensions for all the components? The main GE hammock (length, width), the leg GE hammock (add dimensions to your drawing), and you have the footbox pattern already. Or would you just make the 90-degree lounger and tilt it head down more for sleeping?

Thanks in advance. Once I make one, I'll see if the Tensa Outdoor stands (all 3) work with it
    Come check out the Tensa4 tensahedron stand and other hammock stands at http://www.TensaOutdoor.com and [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by raftingtigger View Post
    I'd really like to make one of these. You gave a pattern for the footbox, and sort of measurements for the leg section. Any chance you can give a pattern with dimensions for all the components? The main GE hammock (length, width), the leg GE hammock (add dimensions to your drawing), and you have the footbox pattern already. Or would you just make the 90-degree lounger and tilt it head down more for sleeping?

Thanks in advance. Once I make one, I'll see if the Tensa Outdoor stands (all 3) work with it
    I'm not sure what more dimensions I could add. I guess I didn't mention that the depth of the main body hammock is the same as the width of a standard fabric roll, about 60". I don't have any more specific measurements for the foot section than I gave. I'm not sure how to provide a pattern for it, because the sides are continuously curved. Also, I have stopped doing work on this design because I prefer using wings like I mentioned earlier.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast