Tarp
    HammockGear CF Hex
    Insulation
    HG UQs and TQs
    Suspension
    Huggers w/Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jeepmaxx View Post
    Where do you pack your hammock and why? Do you put it in your pack liner or outside of pack liner or even on outside of pack? I plan for tarp to go in outside pocket and of course quilts in pack liner, but what if hammock gets a little wet in the pack?
    I open my pack liner and place stuff that can't get wet: Quilts, UQP, sleep clothes, extra socks & underwear, Battery charger, battery block & cables

Then I squeeze the air out, roll the top of the liner down, and put my foodbag on top, center, upright, and against my back (for balance). Hammock in bishop bag goes behind the foodbag, and my cook kit, first aid kit & ditty bags all get stuffed in both sides of the food bag. If I have a puffy, it's in a light dry bag placed on top before I close the pack so I can get to it during breaks.

My pack is highly water-resistant, so little rain gets in when hiking in the rain. My hammock stays protected. If I was using one of my older, larger packs that let too much rain in, I'd place the hammock on top in the pack liner.

When I break camp in the rain, I'm under the tarp as I'm packing. The pack stays dry when it's closed up. Then the tarp comes down and gets stowed in the mesh pocket.

When I get to camp, it all comes out in reverse order. The tarp is pitched, my gear, and I are now out of the rain, so I can set up camp slowly and methodically, get into dry clothes, and start dinner.
    L.Dog
    AT 2000 Miler/ 1752 Hangin' Miles
    Pictures
    Blog
    Pack List

Hammock
    DutchWare Half-Zipped (Hexon 1.0)
    Tarp
    HammockGear CF Hex
    Insulation
    HG UQs and TQs
    Suspension
    Huggers w/Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jeepmaxx View Post
    Where do you pack your hammock and why? Do you put it in your pack liner or outside of pack liner or even on outside of pack? I plan for tarp to go in outside pocket and of course quilts in pack liner, but what if hammock gets a little wet in the pack?
    I open my pack liner and place stuff that can't get wet: Quilts, UQP, sleep clothes, extra socks & underwear, Battery charger, battery block & cables,

Then I squeeze the air out, roll the top of the liner down, and put my foodbag on top, center, upright, and against my back (for balance). Hammock in bishop bag goes behind the foodbag, and my cook kit, first aid kit & ditty bags all get stuffed in both sides of the food bag. If I have a puffy, it's in a light dry bag placed on top before I close the pack so I can get to it during breaks.

My pack is highly water-resistant, so little rain gets in when hiking in the rain. My hammock stays protected. If I was using one of my older, larger packs that let too much rain in, I'd place the hammock on top in the pack liner

When I break camp in the rain, I'm under the tarp as I'm packing. The pack stays dry when it's closed up. Then the tarp comes down and gets stowed in the mesh pocket.

When I get to camp, it all comes out in reverse order. The tarp is pitched, my gear, and I are now out of the rain, so I can set up camp slowly and methodically, get into dry clothes, and start dinner.
    L.Dog
    AT 2000 Miler/ 1752 Hangin' Miles
    Pictures
    Blog
    Pack List

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    That's worth posting twice!

Seriously, great commentary. And I'd highly recommend anyone to click on your pack list as an example of a thorough, complete and realistic gear check.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    That's worth posting twice!

Seriously, great commentary. And I'd highly recommend anyone to click on your pack list as an example of a thorough, complete and realistic gear check.
    Where is this clickable pack list??

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by LowTech View Post
    Where is this clickable pack list??
    Very bottom of Ldog's sig line.... BUT maybe not in Tapatalk?? I dunno.
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Very bottom of Ldog's sig line.... BUT maybe not in Tapatalk?? I dunno.
    At least not in my Tapatalk view. I'd like to see that list as we're thinking of flying out to do a week long trip next spring and I'm not a backpack. So I've been counting on you guys to be my guides in this whole "carry it on your back" world. My gear has always been on a bike, kayak, or in my rig.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Maybe try this.......

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Anything I want to stay dry goes in the liner. Naturally, my hammock is one of those items.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    All good advice so far, however keep in mind that if you're out for a few days in wall-to-wall rain and high humidity—or even a simple overnighter with heavy fog—stuff is going to get damp. So when you stuff it in your hermetically sealed barrier, you're sealing in the moisture.

This comes as no surprise to people who've done multi-day trips in dismal conditions, and the best you can hope for is some nice sunny weather that provides an opportunity to dry out your gear. And it is amazing how quickly stuff can dry out in these conditions.

I point this out as a public service to folks who've not been out a bunch and expect everything to stay bone dry if they only do this or that. There are some conditions where this simply is not going to happen. And a little dampness ain't gunna kill ya!

Hammock
    HG Wanderlust
    Insulation
    EE TQ, HG UQ
    As above, things that can’t get wet go into the nyloflume bag. Until the items gets wet, then it rides outside to dry off.

A common theme I see/ read is the notion that there’s only one way to pack, only one place to put your (fill in the blank). Packing stuff systematically is good for a number of reasons but you’re also free to move the stuff someplace different if conditions change. If something gets wet, I’ll move it to an outside mesh pocket or bundle it under the top strap of the bag so it can dry. That of course means something on the outside probably has to move inside and so forth. The best way to sort this out is to go outside with your kit and camp.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast