Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyhanger View Post
    nanok,

I appreciate your answer, and it's funny you mention tri loading, as learning about that is what led to my question here. I did some googling and found the term. I did some studying on my set up and this is the conclusion I came to:

I keep my strap angle high enough so that If I lay my four fingers on top of the ridge line, while laying in the hammock, that if I place my thumb under, I can turn a 4 finger length of cord almost completely vertical. This is telling me that there is just not that much of a load on my ridge line. I used the hang calculator to get a rough idea of how much stress I am putting on this set up and came up with something like 320 lbs. on anchor points 14 feet apart.
    no doubt, in this case tri-loading is not a concern. you are correct, and most importantly the load on the ridgeline must be really marginal in this case. but the point of a structural ridgeline is to enable less ideal hangs too, and i find it nice to have the peace of mind that i don't have to worry about each component in the system (so i elliminate potentially problematic areas before they become an actual problem, whenever i can).

in short: as long as you're aware about tri-loading, and you are ready to handle things as needed, you're alright, if you prefer it this way. my real concern was to make sure it doesn't come across as "tri loading is okay" in general, clearly you've done your research (as usual it seems)

I tried soft shackles, they just seem to fiddly to me. but I have neuropathy that is beginning to cause dexterity issues.
    yeah, the "classic" ones are a pain to deal with unless you use them as semi-permanent connectors (so don't need to open and close them every time you hang or such). i ended up inventing some different ones because of this, i'll try see if i can make some time this evening to write a post about it. in other words, i hear you, they are fidly in the original configuration, it's not just you, everyone who used them has the same complaint. the way i look at it is: they are not carabinner replacements, they are shackle replacements, so they are not quick (and what i tried to do is design something more akin to a carabinner, something that's nice for repeated use; i've been using my invention for a few weeks now, and i can say the r&d work was worth it, it's such an improvement in my "quality of life", because i experiment with all kinds of suspension components these days, so i connect and disconnect many times a day, thus my requirements for quick use are a bit extreme these days.

I would be very interested in seeing this improves soft shackle/biner.......soft biner????? lol

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    A lot depends on what you are switching in and out. I have multiple hammocks/tarps/suspension lines. So I keep my biners on the suspension line (daisy chain) because that’s were they will be used. The hammock may have cinch buckles. But I put a ring at the end of my hammocks so it’s easy to swap out daisy chain, webbing, whoopie slings - whatever I want to play with.

These days I’m putting the dutch hardware on the daisy chain - because I may have to switch it from the “tree” end to the loop end if the tree is really small - and putting Evo loops on the webbing straps because they only have one end that goes around the tree.
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 06-28-2021 at 18:23.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    A lot depends on what you are switching in and out. I have multiple hammocks/tarps/suspension lines. So I keep my binders on the suspension line (daisy chain) because that’s were they will be used. The hammock may have cinch buckles. But I put a ring at the end of my hammocks so it’s easy to swap out daisy chain, webbing, whoopie slings - whatever I want to play with.

These days I’m putting the dutch hardware on the daisy chain - because I may have to switch it from the “tree” end to the loop end if the tree is really small - and putting Evo loops on the webbing straps because they only have one end that goes around the tree.
    I don't switch anything out. All of my hammocks have their own straps, suspension and ridge line. I find that it is just easier that way. I like for all my gear to be grab and go.

What is an Evo loop?

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 MTN XL GE
    Tarp
    DIY .9 Silpoly Hex
    Insulation
    Various Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps (J-Bend)
    Images
    ~ All I want is affordable, simple, ultralight luxury. That’s not asking too much is it?

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    heavyhanger, I completely agree with you on “grab-n-go”. But I have too many (poor baby) combinations to equip them all completely. I’m pretty isolated here so my “classroom” was buying different gear, trying it out and eventually selling the extra. For example, I couldn’t tell you the different between a WildernessLogics NightOwl or Snipe, and a BIAS weightweenie; but you can feel the difference. At one time I thought I’d be able to give demos to groups. But REI changed their policy and only their employees give their “classes” now.

PopcornFool’s links will give you an EVO education. They fall into the “soft shackle” category.
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 06-29-2021 at 12:28.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12