Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Noob questions

Noob questions

I've been in my hammock for 15+ years. A doublenest ENO. Other than upgrading the biners, I've never made modifications. Lately though, I've been reading and wanting to try something new. I've learned to make my own whoopie slings with amsteel and plan on replacing my suspension. But there are a ton of videos and opinions. If someone could review my plan, I would certainly appreciate it. I may use some wrong terms, but I'll do my best.

I plan on replacing the gathering loops with 1/8" amsteel (it's what I have...) continuous loops and either a lightweight ring or a dutch whoopie ring. I'll use a whoopie as my adjustable ridge line for hammock sag. I have a decent tarp, but will eventually want to replace it. I'll use whoopies from my hammock to the tree huggers but haven't decided which connection to use there. Advice? I'll take some pics once my plan is confirmed, just wondering if I'm on the right track.

Questions: for the gatherings, should I just use a continuous loop or a dog bone? Does it matter? Or just use the whoopie sling as the gather? Seems like a dog bone might be a little more secure. I'll integrate the ring/whoopie hook into the loop when I make it.

Do I just slip my ridgeline for sag over the loop to set it up? Have never used a ridge line but love the idea.

Thanks in advance for any replies. Apologies if I didn't search enough and all of this info already exists.
    Last edited by kkiger; 06-24-2021 at 08:10.

Quote Originally Posted by kkiger View Post
    I've been in my hammock for 15+ years. A doublenest ENO. Other than upgrading the biners, I've never made modifications. Lately though, I've been reading and wanting to try something new. I've learned to make my own whoopie slings with amsteel and plan on replacing my suspension. But there are a ton of videos and opinions. If someone could review my plan, I would certainly appreciate it. I may use some wrong terms, but I'll do my best.
    welcome to the forums. you're by no means a noob if you've been hanging for 15years. i wish i had the inspiration to start earlier too

I plan on replacing the gathering loops with 1/8" amsteel (it's what I have...) continuous loops and either a lightweight ring or a dutch whoopie ring.
    i like to use soft shackles instead of continuous loops there. they are a lot more versatile, and just as easy to make. there are various kinds of "modified softshackles" people use around here, but even a basic one will do.

the ones i use lately work in such a way that they replace the hook or carabiner in one go (so they both gather the ends, and act as a quick connector), but i haven't yet documented that little invention here.

I'll use a whoopie as my adjustable ridge line for hammock sag. I have a decent tarp, but will eventually want to replace it. I'll use whoopies from my hammock to the tree huggers but haven't decided which connection to use there. Advice? I'll take some pics once my plan is confirmed, just wondering if I'm on the right track.
    the structural ridgeline is highly recommended. a whoopie will do nicely, i prefer to use a ucr, but both will work. ideally make a "special" whoopie, so that you don't need two strands of dyneema going all the length of the hammock (because you don't need that much adjustability for the ridgeline as for your suspension), so make the burry of the whoopie somewhere 1-2 feet from one end of the hammock.

for connecting whoopies to the tree hugers, i'd use a softshackle again, but most people don't do that.

i'm in the process of testing and documenting some new design of tree huggers, which make connecting the whoopie with a softshackle a lot more "natural" (among other improvements), but again not something you can read about anywhere (yet)

Questions: for the gatherings, should I just use a continuous loop or a dog bone? Does it matter? Or just use the whoopie sling as the gather? Seems like a dog bone might be a little more secure. I'll integrate the ring/whoopie hook into the loop when I make it.
    as i said, i'd go for some type of softshackle, and even ditch the connection hardware. (okay, i'll have to write the post about my "hammock end shackle" i've been playing with)

Do I just slip my ridgeline for sag over the loop to set it up? Have never used a ridge line but love the idea.
    yeah, you can just slip it over, that tends to work fine. some people like to have a small softshackle there instead, that comes in handy if you have some "ridgeline storage solution" (some pockets hanging on the ridgeline), as it makes it easier to take it off.
    the structural ridgeline is one of the most important components of a hammock setup, imo. you will love it

Thanks in advance for any replies. Apologies if I didn't search enough and all of this info already exists.
    no apologies needed, welcome and all good questions. you do seem to be on the right track, and to have done your research. my suggestions above are just that, suggestions (because you asked), but there's nothing wrong at all with your current plan.

the go to place for a while (if you haven't found it already) has been derek hansen's "the ultimate hang", he did a wonderful job of documenting many of the common options and setups, with very well done diagrams. a bit of a hammock encyclopedia you might say.
    but there's many many options indeed, and it's difficult to keep track of all of them even for people who have been playing with this stuff for a while, asking is always welcome on this forum.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Before buying anything (unless you have extra in budget) go to a local group hang or even a hang with a few hammock campers. You will see some different hammocks, suspensions, insulation, and tarps.

I recommend an 11 foot hammock or even an 11 and a half foot hammock either in wide fabric, about 66 inches to 72 inches wide.
    Your ENO Doublenest is wide.

You can decide on your suspension. Either knots, or whoopie slings or hardware.

Watch some YouTube with Anne Marie of Autumn Ultralight, and Jeff Myers of Myers Tech.
    They both have instruction videos for DIY and they sell those suspension items.

Absolutely watch Shug’s YouTube series (it was a ten part series, maybe now a dozen or more videos) How to hang a hammock, Insulation pads and quilts, How to tarp, etc.
    If you’ve already seen them, then you are a step up.
    Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Grappler View Post
    Before buying anything (unless you have extra in budget) go to a local group hang or even a hang with a few hammock campers. You will see some different hammocks, suspensions, insulation, and tarps.

I recommend an 11 foot hammock or even an 11 and a half foot hammock either in wide fabric, about 66 inches to 72 inches wide.
    Your ENO Doublenest is wide.

You can decide on your suspension. Either knots, or whoopie slings or hardware.

Watch some YouTube with Anne Marie of Autumn Ultralight, and Jeff Myers of Myers Tech.
    They both have instruction videos for DIY and they sell those suspension items.

Absolutely watch Shug’s YouTube series (it was a ten part series, maybe now a dozen or more videos) How to hang a hammock, Insulation pads and quilts, How to tarp, etc.
    If you’ve already seen them, then you are a step up.
    Good luck
    I watched shug, i'll check out those others too.

Quote Originally Posted by nanok View Post
    welcome to the forums. you're by no means a noob if you've been hanging for 15years. i wish i had the inspiration to start earlier too

i like to use soft shackles instead of continuous loops there. they are a lot more versatile, and just as easy to make. there are various kinds of "modified softshackles" people use around here, but even a basic one will do.

the ones i use lately work in such a way that they replace the hook or carabiner in one go (so they both gather the ends, and act as a quick connector), but i haven't yet documented that little invention here.

the structural ridgeline is highly recommended. a whoopie will do nicely, i prefer to use a ucr, but both will work. ideally make a "special" whoopie, so that you don't need two strands of dyneema going all the length of the hammock (because you don't need that much adjustability for the ridgeline as for your suspension), so make the burry of the whoopie somewhere 1-2 feet from one end of the hammock.

for connecting whoopies to the tree hugers, i'd use a softshackle again, but most people don't do that.

i'm in the process of testing and documenting some new design of tree huggers, which make connecting the whoopie with a softshackle a lot more "natural" (among other improvements), but again not something you can read about anywhere (yet)

as i said, i'd go for some type of softshackle, and even ditch the connection hardware. (okay, i'll have to write the post about my "hammock end shackle" i've been playing with)

yeah, you can just slip it over, that tends to work fine. some people like to have a small softshackle there instead, that comes in handy if you have some "ridgeline storage solution" (some pockets hanging on the ridgeline), as it makes it easier to take it off.
    the structural ridgeline is one of the most important components of a hammock setup, imo. you will love it

no apologies needed, welcome and all good questions. you do seem to be on the right track, and to have done your research. my suggestions above are just that, suggestions (because you asked), but there's nothing wrong at all with your current plan.

the go to place for a while (if you haven't found it already) has been derek hansen's "the ultimate hang", he did a wonderful job of documenting many of the common options and setups, with very well done diagrams. a bit of a hammock encyclopedia you might say.
    but there's many many options indeed, and it's difficult to keep track of all of them even for people who have been playing with this stuff for a while, asking is always welcome on this forum.
    so just a soft shackle through the gather end?

Also, watched a couple of UCR videos, like it much better that whoopie. extra length and shorten.

So after more research, I've decided to go with Dutch Spider straps and beetle buckles. UCR on the hammock for extra adjustability, although I think it may be overkill. I'm going to try that for a few trips and see how I like it.

Thanks for the advice and replies.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D

Noob questions

Quote Originally Posted by kkiger View Post
    So after more research, I've decided to go with Dutch Spider straps and beetle buckles. UCR on the hammock for extra adjustability, although I think it may be overkill. I'm going to try that for a few trips and see how I like it.

Thanks for the advice and replies.
    I’m not sure that combination of Dutch Spider Daisy Chain is good with beetle buckles.
    Dutch’s staff members who answer phone or texts or emails are knowledgeable and helpful.
    Ask them what is best strap to use when combined with beetle buckles.
    They will be glad to help. And they now what products work best in combination.

Ooops
    Phantom SNAFU
    I confused spider straps with
    spider daisy chain straps

My apologies, sir, to you
    Continue on and ignore my post
    Thanks and good luck,
    Last edited by Phantom Grappler; 06-27-2021 at 20:11.

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Grappler View Post
    I’m not sure that combination of Dutch Spider Daisy Chain is good with beetle buckles.
    Dutch’s staff members who answer phone or texts or emails are knowledgeable and helpful.
    Ask them what is best strap to use when combined with beetle buckles.
    They will be glad to help. And they now what products work best in combination.
    He said "Spider straps", and the BBs are totally compatible w/ those straps.

Just using the Spider Straps and actually have decided just to do a continuous loop to gather the hammock instead of a UCR. I ordered the Beetle Buckle complete suspension. Thank you for looking out! I appreciate the replies.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    My apologies, confused spider straps, with spider daisy chain straps.
    Ooops.
    Continue on, sir, and ignore my post
    Thanks and good luck

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast